Forward passes

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Forward passes

Post by Mike »

Shevvylad wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:48 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:31 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:16 am
Forward is forward no point complicating such a simple thing.Granted they are gonna get some wrong but the overhead view would clear some up at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Mm98FZ4_k so the pass at 1:07 you'd rule forward?

The problem is while a pass from a static point (i.e from the ruck) is fine to be judged that way you have to take into account the law of relative motion of a player running at 10-15mph because to even get the ball to stand still relative to the ground you would have to throw the ball 15mph direct backwards

So basically you can pass a ball backward and it travel forward

this is an excellent video to show why you can't simply use the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg
You're making my point for me !
Nobody is suggestion that you use the ground solely, and the video you have linked to shows exactly how by analysing the video, you can judge whether the ball has gone forward or not.
I think to do it you'd need vector mapped grounds with full hawk-eye tracking of all players and the ball. Quite expensive considering we can't even have cameras and a VR at every game yet.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Seems to me all you really need is the angle of the ball out of the passer's hands. Is it backwards, or isn't it?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:01 am Seems to me all you really need is the angle of the ball out of the passer's hands. Is it backwards, or isn't it?
Spot on!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:11 am
moto748 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:01 am Seems to me all you really need is the angle of the ball out of the passer's hands. Is it backwards, or isn't it?
Spot on!
If you're Liam Moore you also have to consider who threw the pass.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Think this is the only realistic answer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure