Wigan Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The Pearl1

Re: Wigan Squad

Post by The Pearl1 »

People seem to forgot Cust has done nothing good in nearly 18 months, he leaves all the kicking to Smith and all the play making/ crucial passing to Smith/the fullback.

Proper passenger.

Stick with French.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Field
Miski
King
Wardle
Marshall

Smith
French

Byrne
O Neil
Ellis
KPP
Farrell
Smithies

Mago,Nsemba,Hill,Dupree

Byrne only selected due to lack of other options. If we had another forward available I'd be wanting them in the side. I think he needs a huge kick up the arse after his recent performances. I think the rest of the side picks itself. Nsemba and Hill need minutes imo. If we go with Cust on the bench I'm going to tear my hair out
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:29 am Field
Miski
King
Wardle
Marshall

Smith
French

Byrne
O Neil
Ellis
KPP
Farrell
Smithies

Mago,Nsemba,Hill,Dupree

Byrne only selected due to lack of other options. If we had another forward available I'd be wanting them in the side. I think he needs a huge kick up the arse after his recent performances. I think the rest of the side picks itself. Nsemba and Hill need minutes imo. If we go with Cust on the bench I'm going to tear my hair out
I would start another prop instead of byrne and put him on the bench.I think we will see cust or hampshire on the bench as we have no half cover
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Pbickerstaff

Post by Pbickerstaff »

Cust was potentially the best prospect coming out of Auz when he came to us.
The messing about with his position, the lack of playtime this season and the shite training has knocked his confidence totally
Mark my words when he leaves he will be a top player at his next club.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

I’ll have a pint of what your on
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Pbickerstaff wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:26 pm Cust was potentially the best prospect coming out of Auz when he came to us.
The messing about with his position, the lack of playtime this season and the shite training has knocked his confidence totally
Last season he was at 6 for long periods and was consistently alright at beat. At the back end of the season last year he was poor and when he's had chances this season he's been the same. I'd love to know what you've seen to say he will be a top player
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Pbickerstaff wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:26 pm Cust was potentially the best prospect coming out of Auz when he came to us.
Come on, don’t make stuff up.

Said who? A couple of people on a Manly forum?

Such a good prospect nobody in the NRL got him?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

He was a hooker in Australia who was average. He would only be a top player at Swinton or Oldham. No pace, poor tackler, zero vision all good attributes for a stand off.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Played in the halves all last year and got comfortably outplayed by a 21 year old academy product.

What are custs strengths? He leaves all the kicking to Smith.

He never comes up with a killer pass to set tries up.

He throws a big dummy but rarely breaks the line due to lack of burst of pace.

His defence is atrocious.

I’m sad it’s not worked out as he is a quality bloke but I don’t get what anyone has seen from him to get excited about.
Pbickerstaff

Post by Pbickerstaff »

He came from manly with massive potential
The Wigan training staff haven’t capitalised on that . Cust should have been left in position as a back up / assist Smith but they have moved him all over the middles
Having Smith as our only playmaker isn’t fair on him and he isn’t matured enough - last week decision to kick early on golden point comes to mind
Who would take his place if he got a bad injury
There is no one
We got no one to replace Hastings
As for the dicking about with French well that’s another story