Stand Off

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Stand Off

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

For me i would see the 7 as the primary "leader" and the 6 the more opportunist player

that said id expect both to have the following skillset

Passing - French's is hit and miss atm
Kicking - apart from the odd grubber its not in his locker
Running threat - has this in spades along with possibly the best dummy in the league
Decent Defense - think he has that covered

To me you cannot spend top end of your cap on a Winger, i dont know any club that does or would do this - i cant imagine French being a low earner at Wigan so to that end he is either playing 6 or Fullback. If you move him to Fullback its what you then do with Field

Through their time here both of them have had periods in which they have been the out and out star for Wigan so its really hard to say if you had to keep but if one of them isnt going to be a half and we want to recruit a decent halfback (and by decent i mean above the likes of hampshire/miller/mellor type player) thn one of them will have to make way.

I cant see a situation in which we can recruit a classy 6 and keep both in a capped sport unless you really weaken another area to keep French on the wing which again for me is just not an option
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

We desperately need a 6.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We've got potentially the best six in the comp already. He's already meeting most of the requirements in this thread, his stats are good and he's still improving. What's the problem?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:33 am We've got potentially the best six in the comp already. He's already meeting most of the requirements in this thread, his stats are good and he's still improving. What's the problem?
Come on, please.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:15 am
Mike wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:33 am We've got potentially the best six in the comp already. He's already meeting most of the requirements in this thread, his stats are good and he's still improving. What's the problem?
Come on, please.
So you don't want him at 6 and you don't want him at 13, do you have a problem with him Nathan
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I’d keep French over field. Mainly because of his age I doubt NRL will come sniffing when he finishes his deal with us as he will be approaching 30.

Field (although unlikely due to size) still has time on his side for an NRL return.

Imagine we let French go to accommodate field and then he leaves a year later?
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:42 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:03 am I think one of the problems is whoever is at fullback you're relying on other people to get the ball to him in the right places. Whether it was Field or French we haven't always been great this year at getting the ball to the fullback in a position where they can actually cause problems. That was one of the issues with Cust. His distribution, handling and decision making were letting him down too often. Then with Shorrocks at 6 he was playing to a structure but the timing was off on occasion, so French still wasn't getting the ball in much space.

Having French and Field in the spine of the team at the same time at least means we have our most dangerous players getting their hands on the ball earlier. French has been creating opportunities at a better rate than Cust and Shorrocks did in the same role. It's harder to compare to Field at 6 but against Leigh we were good but he was occasionally erratic with his passing.

What we haven't seen is French playing at 6 with our strongest pack of forwards on the field, something Cust did have the luxury of.

I don't think French at 6 is the disaster people are making it out to be. I think it's already working better than when we had Cust at 6 early in the year. There are bigger tests to come. Teams will be studying French at 6 and adapting to what he does and he'll have to make sure he's one step ahead of them. If he can't do that we'll definitely see him struggle in the next few weeks. In my opinion he currently looks like a player adapting, not one that's struggling.
That is my opinion too 😊
Me too
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:18 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:15 am
Come on, please.
So you don't want him at 6 and you don't want him at 13, do you have a problem with him Nathan
My problem is saying he’s potentially the best 6 in the completion. He’s doing ok, room to improve but that remark is ridiculous.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

He is not doing that bad of a job for us he is assisting and scoring tries and for this season at least he’s the best we’ve got
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The problem is that I disagree with you. We should have had the best 6 in the league but he went to Wire.