Health of Rugby League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Health of Rugby League

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:40 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:34 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:27 pm Only 3 teams left with anything to play for then?
well only 4 teams have ever won the GF and only 3 still around so how is it any different? if anything all its done is made it easier for those 3 teams

Example being that the league leaders has been won by a greater spread
Plenty others have been in the final though, especially recently.

Getting rid of the playoffs crushes the chances of mid-table teams to aspire to anything. When we had the league first past the post, we had end of season playoffs as well, and we had several other cups offering more chances to win something. In the current era when its just one cup and the league, you're going to drive all interest out of the mid-table clubs fan bases IMO. When its unrealistic to expect to win anything except maybe the two games in the CC, how are those clubs going to win new fans? At least the playoffs keeps everyone in it until the semis - and you never know, a couple of big wins and you're in the final.
Football has been dominated by 2-3 teams but they manage to make it work and it’s the most popular sport on the planet

I disagree that it gives mid table teams nothing to play for there would actually be more to play for IMO. Even teams that have been to the finals outside the big 3-4 have rarely looked like winning

It would give power back to the clubs because season tickets and game tickets would be the only way to see those teams or that game. How many fans now simply get a ticket to the grand final if their team gets there because realistically none of those previous games mattered the whole season will be decided on that 1 game

If you went to league format yes the mid table teams may not be competitive for the title but they could have a massive impact on the title race by upsetting a front runner

All the games would actually matter that wouldn’t just be a tag line
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:36 pm

well only 4 teams have ever won the GF and only 3 still around so how is it any different? if anything all its done is made it easier for those 3 teams

Getting rid of the playoffs crushes the chances of mid-table teams to aspire to anything. When we had the league first past the post, we had end of season playoffs as well, and we had several other cups offering more chances to win something. In the current era when its just one cup and the league, you're going to drive all interest out of the mid-table clubs fan bases IMO. When its unrealistic to expect to win anything except maybe the two games in the CC, how are those clubs going to win new fans? At least the playoffs keeps everyone in it until the semis - and you never know, a couple of big wins and you're in the final.
Football has been dominated by 2-3 teams but they manage to make it work and it’s the most popular sport on the planet

I disagree that it gives mid table teams nothing to play for there would actually be more to play for IMO. Even teams that have been to the finals outside the big 3-4 have rarely looked like winning

It would give power back to the clubs because season tickets and game tickets would be the only way to see those teams or that game. How many fans now simply get a ticket to the grand final if their team gets there because realistically none of those previous games mattered the whole season will be decided on that 1 game

If you went to league format yes the mid table teams may not be competitive for the title but they could have a massive impact on the title race by upsetting a front runner

All the games would actually matter that wouldn’t just be a tag line
Fair enough. I'm really not sure it would work like that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I also think it would be better for bringing in neutrals imagine explaining to a neutral that you can lose over 50% of your games and another team can win 100% but as long as you win 2-3 in a row at the end your champions

A simple league format just works

I do agree you may need to rejig things and potentially introduce another goal/cup - so maybe top 4 superleague vs top 4 nrl similar to champions league

Or keep the playoffs but have it an additional award so the winner of the league are champions the top 6 then go into knock out cup maybe the rob burrow cup? Or something and if you win both you are grand slam champions adding a further incentive to the winners to push on

I’m not saying it’s perfect but I think as is the format does absolutely nothing to entice people to watch season games and pay for tickets
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:34 pm I also think it would be better for bringing in neutrals imagine explaining to a neutral that you can lose over 50% of your games and another team can win 100% but as long as you win 2-3 in a row at the end your champions

A simple league format just works

I do agree you may need to rejig things and potentially introduce another goal/cup - so maybe top 4 superleague vs top 4 nrl similar to champions league

Or keep the playoffs but have it an additional award so the winner of the league are champions the top 6 then go into knock out cup maybe the rob burrow cup? Or something and if you win both you are grand slam champions adding a further incentive to the winners to push on

I’m not saying it’s perfect but I think as is the format does absolutely nothing to entice people to watch season games and pay for tickets
Thats basically the same as now, but with a different emphasis on the value of the trophies?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Rename the league leaders shield and make it the main prize

Rename the plays off something like The Nigel Wood and Ralph rimmer Charity shield
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:45 am Rename the league leaders shield and make it the main prize

Rename the plays off something like The Nigel Wood and Ralph rimmer Charity shield
for me there has to be something in the league, whether that be the main prize or prize money. You cant play 26-27 games for nowt other than to jockey for position. There's no coincidence that there have been quite a few sides win the LLS, as Wigan / Saints / Leeds arent that bothered about it. If they win it, then fair enough, but they wont go all out to win it. Wigan did it in Waneys 1st year, Wire, Cas, Hudds have all done that, and thats fair play to them, but it doesnt hold any kudos anywhere inside or outside the game, and no-one knows who won LLS, as all SKy want to do is promote the winners at Old Trafford

not so sure i like the idea of Nigel rimming ralph trophy to be honest :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I don't have a problem with the playoffs, or the behavior of teams that are trying to win them. It's fine.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:27 pm Only 3 teams left with anything to play for then?

The playoff are like school sports days where everyone gets a prize.

Sport especially at elite level is about failure as well as well as success. The playoffs mean you can bumble about being bang average all season and still get a chance to have a crack in the playoffs to complete for the major prize. That should not be possible. There is no incentive to improve if you can carry on doing as you are doing, finishing 6th and being rewarded for being mediocre. If you are denied the major prize because you failed to finish top, then you have the incentive to try harder.

There is no reason why we could not revert back to the old structure where the league is considered the top prize and the premiership playoffs are a separate competition but of lower status. Taking part in such a competition is what teams who don't win the league deserve, the chance to win a lesser cup, not the chance to compete for the top price in a short knockout competition.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The season would be over half way through some years.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

Added to the fact that Sky and the RFL want a "grand" final to sell as a product - which you wouldn't get if it had all been decided before the business end of the season