latics in the final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
standishcat

Re: latics in the final

Post by standishcat »

we dont need to worry about Whelan celebr8in somethin nothin 2 do with League
You're right but that's not what gets to me. It's just the fact that he's spent 5 months as a Premiership chairman and now he thinks he knows how to run the England team too.

I have few gripes with Wigan Athletic. Not because I necessarily like them, just because I'm apathetic to the issue of the Latics and couldn't really care less, because I'm a Wigan RL and MUFC fan. Always have, always will be. :)
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Mike posted:
Martin Taylor posted:
Are you seriously having a laugh Mike? You see him as our saviour do you? I seem to remember that since Whelan put his face into the rugby there has been a massive coincedence that the rugby has gone down hill, yet the football has rocketed. Wake up and smell the coffee Mike, if he had his way Wigan rugby league would be a union team, he has already hinted at that.
Rubbish. Were you at the shareholders meetings when Whelan bought out the club? If not, then you don't know what you are on about. At the time I had my doubts, but Whelan has been nothing but good for both rugby and footy teams in Wigan. The Wigan RL club off the pitch is in the heathliest state it has been in for a long while. The recruitment of (the famously anti-union) Millward can hardly be seen as part of a master plan to run Wigan RL into the ground and move it to union - can it?

You've got to separate the playing situation - bad injury situations, increase competition (and some dodgy recruitment descisions) - from the owners influence - because he doesn't have much control over those things (except for making money available, which is restricted by the salary cap).
glad some 1 else knows the history fo dave whelan and the rugby club ,thanxs for the back uo mike :eusa2: :eusa1:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

It will be interesting to see how many they take to the final given they recorded the lowest ever crowd for a semi-final of this particular competition at the JJB in the first leg v Aresnal.

Many years ago I was taken to Wembley to watch Wigan Athletic play in the FA Trophy final when they were still in the Northern Premier League.

I saw them play a few times at Springfield Park and also went to Maine Road to watch then play Man City in the FA cup, which was the football team I supported as a kid so that was a bit of a dilemma.

That was all before I saw the light and discovered RL !!

Dave
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

What a load of rubish Mike. Was it not last year that he wanted Orrell to be changed to Wigan Rugby Union, and for one day the two clubs to merge? Whelans long term strategy is a more profitable one in the Zurich Premiership. Injuries? My god man, you can't blame injuries for a lack of genuine talent.
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

That's fine call the previous Directors, but my god we won trophies under them. I don't need to even argue this one, the proof is there. Since Whelan has come in the Football has seen a massive injection of money and success, whilst the rugby has sold it's big name stars and struggled. It's a fact, and you can bang on about the salary cap and so on, but we have seen other teams such as Leeds, Bradford and sainst with a list of quality players, whilst we have done it cheap!
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

look if whealan gave us 3 million quid to get some new players it would be useless! we cant even keep the ones we bring through the acadamy. wigan have spent the same amount as all the other teams in the top six but not as wisely. then exit carney,newton,farrell. and we have loads of money again! millward will be a bit more realistic with wages i think. on last season the only way is up. :wink:
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Personally I like both sports, I prefer rugby league despite the fact my family is steeped in football tradition. So I am glad for the Latics. The final, I think they will get people to go. I do not go to their matches and will not be going to the final as I feel hypocritical if I do.

Wigan RLFC was hugely successful under a 4 man board. It was the collective that worked. Gradually as they shrunk to virtually one in Jack Robinson things fell apart. Lindsay was always the bold spender, Jack Robinson the cautious skinflint. Together that combination was great. Jack on his own , made some dreaful errors in the name of saving money. Worst I can recall was vetoing a second Gene Miles season because he could get Andrew Farrar cheaper. Farrar was a very good player for us but Geno, damn :(

Whelan well he supported both clubs financially at various times. However, he is a control freak and the fight with Robinson was in many ways the death knell and the rebirth of the club.

Does Whelan prefer the football club. Probably. Does he prefer the profile that the football club gives him. MOST DEFINETLY! Many men who achieve so much are quite bullish and like to be heard. He is no different. Hence, you now see Whelan using the Profile of Athletic to give him a platform to AIR HIS VIEWS and PUT HIMSELF IN THE SPOTLIGHT. That is what he craves. Some of his views are bizarre and he can be embarassing.

One amusing aspect is how Whelan tells half truths to spin a tale. "20 years ago we were non league" - it's nearer 30 years, 1978 I think was the year of league entry. "I did not know about the away goal rule" like hell he did not. "I made my fortune starting as a market stall holder" - I married a woman whose family had wealth / supermarkets and so forth - this got me valuable finance at the start

What Whelan has discovered is that he can run a football club for relatively litte expense as the TV revenue is enough for the current outlay on transfers and Paul Jewell is a fantastially hard working manager who does not spend big. So he gets a football club that gives him a PROFILE / PLATFORM he craves.

The rugby league club, financially costs him nothing. He maintains overall control. It offers him much less in profile / platform.

Rugby Union, saw others jumping on the bandwagon, thought he would do the same. Realised, it would cost money and was very difficult to achieve and had limited profile / platform apart from internationally. He got out.

Dave Whelan is no philanphropic Jack Walker type. He is obviously very wealthy but not in the same league as some football owners. He will not be giving his fortune away to the clubs albeit I do not think he will drop either as he loves his profile and it strokes his ego. Thankfully both clubs, particularly the rugby club are self sustaining and well run.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The 4 directors

History will judge them good and bad but they saved the club in the 80's and all deserve credit for that period.
fishpot

Post by fishpot »

Without wanting to offend anyone, I have no interest at all what the "Latics" do.
I am very aware of "soccer" fans and know that they would not reciprocate.
It's only days now to the start of the most exciting league of any sport on these fair isles.
Lets celebrate. :D :D :D :D
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

As most already know I'm a big United fan, always have been always will be but I was jumping around on Tuesday night and thats the firsttime I've felt nervous anxious excited etc because of a televised footy match since 1999.

Of course Whelan was there, why the hell shouldn't he be? He's made that team who they are, and he's got them where they are. Football is a much wider sport in terms of money, he can basically do what he wants with his money to get the team succesful. This season has been amazing for Latics and they should enjoy every single moment. I would like to see him at some more of our games though, I'm sure he is a very busy man but it would be nice to see him attend rugby away games a bit more regularly.

It's not Whelans fault for the so called 'demise' of this club, its the RFL they wanted a more level playing field for all clubs, it hasn't really happened despite the crap Stevo tries to brainwash us with, all it's done is bring us all done to a lesser level. There's still the big clubs, there's still the average and there's still the pathetic and that's the way it will always be.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!