letting english talent go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
standofftfield

Re: letting english talent...

Post by standofftfield »

DaveO posted:
cpwigan posted:
The more players we have playing in the NRL the better. However, we need to encourage SL teams to develop British players too. I believe the Salary Cap discourages tjhe development of young talent. It leaves little scope to all funds to be used to pay players to develop into top class players. Far easier to pay for an immediate fix in the form of an overseas player or by sniping from another club.
I'll tell you something else that discourages the production of young British players, the topic of the moment, promotion and relegation.

I had a debate about the number of British players in the game over here last year on rlfans and it remained a sensible topic. I slagged Wakey off for the number of overseas players they had and got a Wakey fans response.

He said he knew for a fact their chair person or cheif exec (I think it is woman) has told the fans they would always sign "ready made" Kolpak players as having a slot in your side for young players was just too risky with regards to relegation.

It appeared their entire player recruitment policy was geared around maintaining their SL status which meant putting money in the way of overseas players in their mid to late tewties rather than bringing on a teenager through the ranks.

Given Noble's Bradford teams have had a lot of Kolpak players (OK good as opposed to fair Kolpak players) in the team it will be interesting to see if Wigan adopt a "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude in future.

Dave
Come on if you look at The current Wigan team we have 8 players who fit into the overseas quota wether that be aussie or Kolpack.

IMO the overseas quora should be just that 3 and no more.

Our current 1st team currently looks like this

1. Dallas aussi
2. Calderwood
3. Goulding
4. Vialeakie Kolpack
5. Richards Kolpack
6. Orr
7 Dobson aussie
8. Logan Kolpack
9. Higham
10. Palleanisina Kolpack
11. Fletcher Aussie
12. Hock
13. O'Loughlin

14. Seuseu Kolpak
15 Godwin
16 Hill
17 Brown

You couild ague about some of the places but the bottom line is that we have 8 overseas player which i believe is the averarege for any superleague team.

Any team should NOT have any more than 3 players from overseas
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Flash posted:
Not disputing your point, but just for the sake of clarity, Logan and Richards hold British Passports.
A mere technicality. They are Aussies, plain and simple.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

but the "Bosman" and "Kolpak" rulings are legally binding, so it would have to be a voluntary move by all the SL chairmen.
That won't happen.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Geoff thats why you need some kind of incentive system whereby you gain salary cap benefits from playing X % of British RL players, even as far as offering more if say both halfbacks are British and play X% of first grade games.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

cpwigan posted:
Geoff thats why you need some kind of incentive system whereby you gain salary cap benefits from playing X % of British RL players, even as far as offering more if say both halfbacks are British and play X% of first grade games.
The whole salary cap issue is annoying me, particularly given our predicament. It is extremely frustrating to hear ML on Boots n All say we are able to spend £3m on salaries if we were allowed!! :angry: