Tomkins saga over as he signs for the NZW

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Kittwazzer

Re: Tomkins saga over as he signs for the NZW

Post by Kittwazzer »

ddtftf wrote:I thought that Nathan Friend was retiring at the end of the season, I am sure I heard one of the commentator's say it was his last season
Just been on the NZW forum. Apparently Friend is the only one to take a pay cut

Tried to copy the link so that people can listen to it but its just not happening if anyone wants to hear it, it's on the NZ Warriors forum 'Sam Tomkins. Is he worth it?' thread
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

ddtftf wrote:I thought that Nathan Friend was retiring at the end of the season, I am sure I heard one of the commentator's say it was his last season
I was under the same impression as this was his last season and was retiring.
MT Smart

Post by MT Smart »

Kittwazzer wrote:
MT Smart wrote:A couple of hours ago Nathan Friend the NZW hooker was on radio sport ( NZ radio station ) when a caller asked him how he felt about having his contract reduced because Sam Tomkins is costing so much money.

Friend said " all I can comment on is his skill.....Tommy took a little while to fall back into the NRL.....I guess I'm the same as many people...... I'm really looking forward to his inclusion in the team....I think he will handle it for sure....
Wow, didn't realise that. Its bad enough when one player is earning substantially more than the rest, but when everyone else has to take a pay cut to accommodate him, dressing room friction is inevitable!
I should have stated that it was a pertinent to Friend because he has just signed an extension for another season at the Warriors for a reduced contract , the man in the street assumes that the reduction was because of the Tomkins deal.

Here are the facts.

The Warriors Indicated to Nathan Friend in February that they would be taking up the option for 2014 on his contract (2010-2013 ) three years plus a one year extension.

Mid season they told Friend there was a change in that he was free to look elsewhere.

People linked the rumored record Tomkins offer to Friends then assumed departure and the no contract announcement for Kevin Locke ( expires 2014 ).

It is a widely known fact that due to not being able to attract top tier Australian imports....the NZW have the largest Salary cap space in the NRL.

While clubs like the Storm can retain the big three

Clubs like Manly have Foran and Cherry Evans , Brett Stuart and Matai + Lyon.....there is something clearly wrong with the cap if the NZW have to reduce Friends Salary to acquire Tomkins.

The Roosters have Maloney , Sonny Bill Williams , Mitchel Pearce , Jared Waerea Hargreaves....

Last but not Least the Rabbitohs :

Four Burgess

Reynolds

Greg Inglis

Isaac Luke

John Sutton

Nathan Merit

Yet still some Kiwi fans assume that a player like Friend would need to take a reduction to acommodate one player when the only names on their roster are :

Manu Vatuvei ( aging and given a reduced contract )

Feleti Mateo ( can't make the NSW origin side )

Shaun Johnson ( New to the scene estimated to be on a 260- 280 k ) thereabouts contract.

So the reality is the NZW held out on Friend confident in the knowledge that they had his position covered by Tommy Leuluai ) and that Friend wasn't wanted by other NRL teams.

They signed him as back up for Tommy next year and avoided paying too much.

Tomkins Elliot claims would never get 500k plus as an unproven NRL player.

I suspect his Warriors offer is a back ended deal with a huge pay rise in season two which satisfies fan and club rhetoric alike.

In any case I hope Sam comes to New Zealand, he would make a bigger media impact using NZ as a base than in Sydney.