Coley confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
chrisJJ

Re: Coley confirmed

Post by chrisJJ »

coley, great signing should be a good year for the forwards next year but...

Were does this leave Ocarroll and Presscott?
To be the best
you have to beat the best
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

chrisJJ posted:
At the moment in exactly the same place as they are now.

Fletcher out, Coley in means we currently have the same number of forwards playing in the same positions (probably) for 2008 as we do now. Except one is not as good.

You need to ask the question about Prescott and O'Carroll if/when we sign a prop.

Dave
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

chrisJJ posted:
coley, great signing should be a good year for the forwards next year but...

O'Carroll and Prescott won't progress if they get knocked back in every tackle by player bigger than them, they need to play once some bigger more experianced Props have worn the opposition down.

Eventually O'Carroll and Presscott will develop into good forwards but it is said that Props are only in there prime in there late 20's. In the next few years they will be used off the bench after the starting props have been playing awhile similar to what St Helens did with Graham
loyal

Post by loyal »

There's players like Kylie Leuluai, Andy Lynch, Fui Fui Moi-Moi, .. i dont disagree with the Coley signing, i really dont think Nobby would sign someone if he didnt have plans for the future!

He obviously has plans set for next season, and hopefully it will be another step forward from this year!.. We are moving forward, Fielden is improving, whether it is slow or not, its a possitive!

In my opinion, next years pack at wigan will be very strong, YOUNG, enthusiastic, and with the class of Barrett, controlling that pack, we'll be very strong competitors for the titles next year!
** THE BLOOD OF A WARRIOR RUNS THROUGH MY VEINS **
pedro

Post by pedro »

I thought that this year
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Good signing IMO, People are saying hes a backward step from fletcher and if replacing fletcher was the only thing we needed to do then i would agree. but its not the only thing we need. we need a centre a full back and another forward and to spend big money on a player that would be a forward step from fletcher is not possible unless we want 8 point deduction next season. for the money coley will be making its a good bit of business.
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

i thought this could be one of the best seasons of the year for us then i noticed that he's 29 years old! i thought we signed the next big thing but he's most likey at the end of his carear, and will proberly end it here at wigan
To be the best
you have to beat the best
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Firstly - we need another prop; we needed one this year and didn't have it. Whoever else we sign this year, there needs to be another out and out bash and crash prop signed as well

Secondly - in the whole "Coley replaces Fletcher" situation I think that a couple of points should be considered.

Firstly, Fletcher isn't getting any younger. He has been less effective this year than he was last and I would imagine he will slip further next year. As he gets older he will be more likely to spend more time on the sidelines injured (although he hasn't as yet); his wages are a lot more than Coley would be paid - would we prefer to hang on to Fletcher for another year?

Coley may not be as good as Fletcher was last season however there is a good chance that he will be better than Fletcher is next season. With Hock's good form a rapidly fading memory, we need someone who can cover prop and 2nd row. Bailey maybe a 2nd row - however he is definitely not a prop. It's worth giving Coley a chance and seeing how he does.

Lastly at least we are replacing Fletcher with a British player - and not an overpriced over the hill Aussie; at least that is one thing in his favour!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

im not convinced by the signing of coley but if he does a job for us next year then il hold my hand up and say fair play to the lad.. i wait to be convinced though!had to laugh at what i read on teletext, with lindsey announing the coley signing.... "negotions are well under way to strengthen the squad. the announcement of andy coley in an indication of our ambition!!! :lol: :lol:who's he trying to kid!
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

Props near 18 stone or above.

Joe Vangana 18.8 (brad)
Chris Feather 17.9 (Brad)
Eorl Crabtree 18 (Hudds)
Keith Mason 17.9 (Hudds)
Darril Griffin 18.7 (Hudds)
Ian Kirke 18 (Leeds)
David Mills 18.9 (Quins)
Gareth Carvell 18.7 (Hull)
Hutch Mavia 18 (Hull)
Chris Leikvoll 19.2 (Warrington)
Paul Rauhihi 18.6 (Warrington)
David Tangata-Toa 17.9 (Hull kr)
Gareth Haggarty 18.6 (Salford)
Feka 18.7

Prescott is 14.9
O'Caroll is 14.7

Just to prove a point and this doesnt include players just over 17 stone e.g. 111kg +.And yes i have far too much time on my hands.

Andy Coly is 17 stone exactly as is Fielden