Calderwood exit confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Calderwood exit confirmed

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:True Matthew and the one classic move Leeds did was kick from scrums in their own 20 or kick before the last tackle for Calders to chase. He was brilliant at chasing kicks for Leeds often gaining them 50-60 yards or scoring. He came to Wigan and we never used that skill.
And you know what? There is a poster on rlfans saying we don't see these kick chases from him any more as if it's his fault!

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

RRR wrote:Don't be ridiculous, of course we should wish him all the best for his future however i for one have no wish to see him return to the JJB and be the reason for defeat he can score as many hattricks as you wish just not against Wigan so don't plead to him to do so!
I know exactly what you mean but sometimes it takes things like that to get the people running the show to notice the mistakes of others.

Dave
mano

Post by mano »

IF mark and is agent get there way he will be at hull by friday the talks are ongoing this week on loan for the rest of this season cant see IL agree this myself.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mano wrote:IF mark and is agent get there way he will be at hull by friday the talks are ongoing this week on loan for the rest of this season cant see IL agree this myself.
They would be mad to do so although unless somebody gets injured I cannot see Noble selecting him.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:True Matthew and the one classic move Leeds did was kick from scrums in their own 20 or kick before the last tackle for Calders to chase. He was brilliant at chasing kicks for Leeds often gaining them 50-60 yards or scoring. He came to Wigan and we never used that skill.
And you know what? There is a poster on rlfans saying we don't see these kick chases from him any more as if it's his fault!

Dave
:lol1: Priceless. I suppose he should pass the ball to himself as well to create overlaps.

For me it is a watershed moment. You can go all the way back to 1895 and Wigan RLFC has had flying wingmen / great wingmen on its flanks. It is one of the facets which defines Wigan RLFC.
pedro

Post by pedro »

how do you get Colbon with all them positions...hes no good at any.

So you can have Calders at prop as hes no good there but he can play there.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

RRR wrote:Don't be ridiculous, of course we should wish him all the best for his future however i for one have no wish to see him return to the JJB and be the reason for defeat he can score as many hattricks as you wish just not against Wigan so don't plead to him to do so!
as long as he bits Nobby i dont care for one game! we aren't exactly going to replace him are we?
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

God wrote:After all is said and done Calderwood is out of contract and he is not getting a new one. Thats it really, regardless of talent, speed, try scoring ability,match winner or joe average it doesnt matter,if you dont fit into the coaches plans your number is up.
That is obvious but the question is why doesn't he fit in with Noble's plans?
Calderwood isnt the player he was at Leeds but niether are a few choice players, regardless of service or a decent center hes too tentative going into a tackle and more often than not he will loose the ball after taking a heavy tackle.
So if we add that he has lost his pace, doesn't beat the first marker, do the the hard graft which have all been said he is obviously completely garbage!
But the fact remains I.L said there would be a review of how we manage the salary cap and an even keel for all players would be observed, only the choice superstars will benefit from the higher salary cap wage.I.E 6,9,13,8. all on the big wages, the rest even keel.

I feel long gone have the days of giving a winger a big chunk of the cap based on try scoring ability,pace alone. For one the said winger must be adaptable to play in a number of positions e.g. Fullback, Center, Stand Off to save on the salary cap, hence.
Ho much does he earn? How big a chunk of the SC does he take? £70K according to JJ.
Richards= Wing,Fullback,Center.
Phelps=Wing,Fullback,Center,Stand Off.
Colbon=Wing,Fullback,Center,Second Row.
Calderwood=Wing and erm ????

Richards failed at centre. You are giving Phelps a lot of credit for a player no one knows a lot about.

Colbon isn't good enough in any of those position to be a Wigan player.

And yes Calderwood is a winger. A traditional one who if used properly excites the crowd.
I feel this is the reason for Calderwoods depature and also his high wages.
You don't know how much he earns and to say he is off because we have some jack of all trades and master of none players instead means we will end up with the slowest back line in the league.
As for the rumours for wanting out right away, some may say i dont blame him or whatever, but at the end of the day hes a professional rugby player he sould act professional regardless of what is going on around him and for as long as the club holds his contract for hes still a Wigan player

I am always keen for players and clubs to see contracts out and be professional but it takes both sides for this to work.

When at Leeds he was professional in his last season but so were Leeds. They continued to play him and he gave his best all that season. Contrast that to Carney who wanted to leave to go and play with his mates in Oz limping around the JJB.

Here we have people one after the other saying how Noble doesn't rate him, would not select him for GB and we see how Noble selects an inferior player in preference.

He plays well and gets dropped. Noble picks Colbon in front of him. What is he supposed to do? He can't even put himself in the shop window.
Throwing the teddy out of the pram because hes not selected is un professional and just makes him look an idiot infront of his peers.
Calderwood gives his best and Noble ignores it. I think any other SL coach would by now have put him outside Carmont and then sorted out the other side of the back line.

I think the way Noble has ignored Calderwood throughout his coaching of GB and Wigan is what is unprofessional.
Besides i think the lad will see out his contract in a professional manner and will score a hatrick in the grand final against Stains to show us pie eaters what we will miss next year. :D
I don't think he will be given the opportunity to see it out in a professional manner now Phelps is here. If he gets picked at all it will be due to injuries and when he plays he will be asked to play in a way he is not suited to play by our limited coach.

The only chance we will get to see him shine again is if the players do as they did at Bradford in the play-offs and rip up Noble's script.

Dave
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

DaveO wrote:
God wrote:After all is said and done Calderwood is out of contract and he is not getting a new one. Thats it really, regardless of talent, speed, try scoring ability,match winner or joe average it doesnt matter,if you dont fit into the coaches plans your number is up.
That is obvious but the question is why doesn't he fit in with Noble's plans?
Calderwood isnt the player he was at Leeds but niether are a few choice players, regardless of service or a decent center hes too tentative going into a tackle and more often than not he will loose the ball after taking a heavy tackle.
So if we add that he has lost his pace, doesn't beat the first marker, do the the hard graft which have all been said he is obviously completely garbage!
But the fact remains I.L said there would be a review of how we manage the salary cap and an even keel for all players would be observed, only the choice superstars will benefit from the higher salary cap wage.I.E 6,9,13,8. all on the big wages, the rest even keel.

I feel long gone have the days of giving a winger a big chunk of the cap based on try scoring ability,pace alone. For one the said winger must be adaptable to play in a number of positions e.g. Fullback, Center, Stand Off to save on the salary cap, hence.
Ho much does he earn? How big a chunk of the SC does he take? £70K according to JJ.
Richards= Wing,Fullback,Center.
Phelps=Wing,Fullback,Center,Stand Off.
Colbon=Wing,Fullback,Center,Second Row.
Calderwood=Wing and erm ????

Richards failed at centre. You are giving Phelps a lot of credit for a player no one knows a lot about.

Colbon isn't good enough in any of those position to be a Wigan player.

And yes Calderwood is a winger. A traditional one who if used properly excites the crowd.
I feel this is the reason for Calderwoods depature and also his high wages.
You don't know how much he earns and to say he is off because we have some jack of all trades and master of none players instead means we will end up with the slowest back line in the league.
As for the rumours for wanting out right away, some may say i dont blame him or whatever, but at the end of the day hes a professional rugby player he sould act professional regardless of what is going on around him and for as long as the club holds his contract for hes still a Wigan player

I am always keen for players and clubs to see contracts out and be professional but it takes both sides for this to work.

When at Leeds he was professional in his last season but so were Leeds. They continued to play him and he gave his best all that season. Contrast that to Carney who wanted to leave to go and play with his mates in Oz limping around the JJB.

Here we have people one after the other saying how Noble doesn't rate him, would not select him for GB and we see how Noble selects an inferior player in preference.

He plays well and gets dropped. Noble picks Colbon in front of him. What is he supposed to do? He can't even put himself in the shop window.
Throwing the teddy out of the pram because hes not selected is un professional and just makes him look an idiot infront of his peers.
Calderwood gives his best and Noble ignores it. I think any other SL coach would by now have put him outside Carmont and then sorted out the other side of the back line.

I think the way Noble has ignored Calderwood throughout his coaching of GB and Wigan is what is unprofessional.
Besides i think the lad will see out his contract in a professional manner and will score a hatrick in the grand final against Stains to show us pie eaters what we will miss next year. :D
I don't think he will be given the opportunity to see it out in a professional manner now Phelps is here. If he gets picked at all it will be due to injuries and when he plays he will be asked to play in a way he is not suited to play by our limited coach.

The only chance we will get to see him shine again is if the players do as they did at Bradford in the play-offs and rip up Noble's script.

Dave

:eusa4: you have some spair time on your hands :lol:
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

This is just an aside. Calders was seen frequently at reserve/academy matches last season, even when he was in a cast. However, this season he has not been seen. A sign of not feeling wanted/not part of the set up?

To be fair hardly any first teamers have bar the very young ones. Again is this a good sign?