Times might be tough...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
El Bobbers

Re: Times might be tough...

Post by El Bobbers »

cpwigan wrote:If they are good enough, they earn the price we pay.

We got John Monie after he had led Parra to a GF win. He turned ML down several times. However, ML kept asking, kept posing the question and got him to say yes.

I would favour Sheens personally.
It will be interesting when the time comes, I just don't want us to pay over the odds. The worry for me is if we end up in a position were we are being held to ransom, it could lead to players/potential signings and future coaches doing the same to us and we end up in the position we've found ourselves for the past few years where we are paying over the odds.

But if we do get one of their top guns I can't wait to see the responses emanating from OZ.
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Ellery hanley? doing good at Doncaster... at the end of the year BUT...

Noble is our main man at the moment so.. guess anything else will be rumours
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

El Bobbers wrote:
I know everyone has there price but is that going too much? We don't want to be taken for a ride by someone who knows we are desperate.
I am sure IL can afford it.

Dave
mario

Post by mario »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Look at it from Leneghans point of view.

What value is Noble currently adding to his (ILs) company in remaining in charge of the squad?

At the moment we have some very disgruntled fans, a coach who is repeatedly saying we are underperforming but doesnt seem to know how to dig us out of the hole we are in.

Noble is also now blaming the younger players for the errors and losses hardly a way to inspire the youth of the club.

The team if we are lucky will retain 4th spot exactly as per last year bar the off field bad management of the club.

Things are stacking up against Noble IMO opinion and leneghans a hard nosed businessman and i honestly cant see him continuing to put up with excuses no matter what stage of the season we are at
Doesn't Leneghan have to take some of the blame? He gave Noble an extension to his contract.
Not your post, but as far as getting in a big name coach, why can't we find a Justin Morgan? Surely if Hull KR can, then we can. Same with players really, other teams find Players that don't demand fantastic wages. Why can't Wigan?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mario wrote: Doesn't Leneghan have to take some of the blame? He gave Noble an extension to his contract.
Not your post, but as far as getting in a big name coach, why can't we find a Justin Morgan? Surely if Hull KR can, then we can. Same with players really, other teams find Players that don't demand fantastic wages. Why can't Wigan?
I will defend IL on this one regarding the coach. He has given Noble enough rope to hang himself or prove he is a good coach.

Wigan have had a reputation for firing coaches quickly and I think IL recognises this and probably thinks if we do the same again under his new ownership the reputation will remain the same.

So if he wants to employ a top coach in the future firing Nobby now might make the possible recruits think twice.

So he has given Nobby a contract to the end of 2009 with an option for 2010 (if I recall correctly) and to me that is fair enough.

If by the end of 2009 we don't look any better than now Noble won't be sacked - his contract simply won't be extended.

Dave
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Doesn't Leneghan have to take some of the blame? He gave Noble an extension to his contract.
Not your post, but as far as getting in a big name coach, why can't we find a Justin Morgan? Surely if Hull KR can, then we can. Same with players really, other teams find Players that don't demand fantastic wages. Why can't Wigan?[/quote]

Because we are Wigan, the biggest name in the history of Rugby League.
We have already seen on this forum that people will condemn a player before he has even pulled on a cherry & white shirt.
Wigan fans demand success, so the club will always try to recruit big name players, with an established reputation. With that reputation comes a demand for big money.
Unfortunate;y, many players, especially in recent times have gone "off the boil" after pulling on the Wigan shirt.
The consequent drain on the salary cap means that there are ex Wigan academy players all over Superleague who will always try to prove a point against the team that said "Sorry, but you're not quite good enough for this club."
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09