Fans Forum - Status quo, No change

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dubs

Re: Fans Forum - Status quo, N...

Post by Dubs »

cpwigan wrote:
Dubs wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Historically Nathan, businessmen would become chairmen of professional clubs to give themselves a bit of recognition, to basically give themselves a feel good factor and impress their friends. I see no difference between those old style chairmen and IL.

Football, RL was full of them and nothing ever got achieved.

IL was a fan of Wigan RL long before he was a millionaire businessman as far as I know. I seriously don't think he classes ownership as something of a status symbol or a plaything, if that's what you are implying?
When he was a fan is irrelevant. Yes that is exactly what I am implying. There has only ever been 1 true fan / owner in British sport and that was Jack Walker.

I don't agree with you, but you're entitled to your opinion
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

This "sounds" like a very interesting meeting!

I think that IL/JL/PH would be very foolish if there words were allowed to "come back and haunt them". Hence you have to give some latitude to the current situation, money-wise, back-room staff wise, merchandise wise etc. I can well believe that things at the club are currently "not up to scratch". The club imo, is still suffering from the "fall-out" from Jack Robinson's tenure-ship and how he (and David Bradshaw) treated the club's merchandise suppliers, as far as arranging deals for merchandise (which in all honesty has been pathetic since we moved to the JJB).

I also except that prices will rise too CP! LOL I can imagine your "anger", when you go to the local supermarket and your favorite fruit has gone up again, as all prices have been doing for years now - it's called inflation, and Wigan's entrance fee is currently one of the cheapest in SL. Even stains charge more for entry to that sh*thole!

I would really hope that the players themselves have introduced a "code of conduct", also that they realise that there is no apparent leadership on field. This has been a "bug bear" for while now.

Lets just hope that the club can be run professionally as it should be from now on......

As for how long Noble stays, he will be the "one" who decides that - with the team performances for the remainder of this season and (if he is still here) next.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
chnwh

Post by chnwh »

I'd be interested to hear what some people think IL should have done/said.

A scoreboard in the West Stand? Is that all that some people care about? I agree with IL. We have far bigger things to worry about. Plus why should Wigan RL/IL pay for it?

He says that the players have admitted that they have been at fault this season and have implemented a code of conduct etc etc. That's good news and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Name me any coach/chairman that tells people who he's going to sign? Surely that boosts any transfer fee/wage request?

Give the guy a break.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

chnwh wrote:I'd be interested to hear what some people think IL should have done/said.

A scoreboard in the West Stand? Is that all that some people care about? I agree with IL. We have far bigger things to worry about. Plus why should Wigan RL/IL pay for it?

He says that the players have admitted that they have been at fault this season and have implemented a code of conduct etc etc. That's good news and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Name me any coach/chairman that tells people who he's going to sign? Surely that boosts any transfer fee/wage request?

Give the guy a break.
Doh this is what irks me about fans.

The scoreboard etc was irrelevant. The key was that you all came away from that first meeting like gullible children saying hey how great is this guy he listens to us. What he actually does is give you lipservice and then ignores you. When he is reminded he offers an excuse/sidetracks. So in effect he never listened and never does. Whatsmore, anybody who thinks owners per se listen to fans is dreaming. The only difference from Whelan is he pus a different spin on it.
chnwh

Post by chnwh »

cpwigan wrote:
chnwh wrote:I'd be interested to hear what some people think IL should have done/said.

Give the guy a break.

The scoreboard etc was irrelevant. The key was that you all came away from that first meeting like gullible children saying hey how great is this guy he listens to us. What he actually does is give you lipservice and then ignores you. When he is reminded he offers an excuse/sidetracks. So in effect he never listened and never does. Whatsmore, anybody who thinks owners per se listen to fans is dreaming. The only difference from Whelan is he pus a different spin on it.
I have said any of that where exactly?

Someone stated he hasn't listened to us as he hasn't put a scoreboard in the West Stand. Whoop de fu*king doo!

At the end of the day - I agree with you that no chairman will listen to fans when it comes to running the club, but some don't even hold fans forums so think yourself lucky.

Give the guy a chance to weed out the bad from the previous era (contracts and signings etc) and lets see if he is true to his word regarding the signings and coaching staff
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dubs wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Dubs wrote:
IL was a fan of Wigan RL long before he was a millionaire businessman as far as I know. I seriously don't think he classes ownership as something of a status symbol or a plaything, if that's what you are implying?
When he was a fan is irrelevant. Yes that is exactly what I am implying. There has only ever been 1 true fan / owner in British sport and that was Jack Walker.

I don't agree with you, but you're entitled to your opinion
You can agree or disagree. I consider what I say and thus far this season I have sadly been proven correct time and time ago and people have preferred to ignore what has been staring straight at them because actually thinking saying/doing the unpleasant is easier to ignore and pretending/continuing the facade is more pallatable.

12 months / 2 years ago I pointed out that Saints send their U16's on tour Down Under. I consistently said sending young players to Aus for 12 months would impact upon their development far greater than anything else.

Lydon acknowledged that but quickly added the caveat. MONEY and dropped in one of the one liners that make the lemmings in the room become hoodwinked.

If MR I HAVE BEEN A FAN FOR 50 YEARS really wanted to make that difference he would dip into his own pocket. Funds would be irrelevant. It is afterall small change to IL. Whatsmore the potential gain/benefit is so huge that cost would not even cross the mind of genuine fan owner. That's why there has only been 1 TRUE fan/owner in British sport, Jack Walker.

Sam Gee went to Ausrecently for the student world cup. Like all these trips they have to find X money, £1000 approx. TRUE FAN? Why did IL not simply fund it? The true fans, the Riversiders DID.

Who can best afford to? Who made the greater commitment?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

chnwh wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

Give the guy a break.

I have said any of that where exactly?

Someone stated he hasn't listened to us as he hasn't put a scoreboard in the West Stand. Whoop de fu*king doo!

At the end of the day - I agree with you that no chairman will listen to fans when it comes to running the club, but some don't even hold fans forums so think yourself lucky.

Give the guy a chance to weed out the bad from the previous era (contracts and signings etc) and lets see if he is true to his word regarding the signings and coaching staff
Read. The contexct of the question was irrelevant.

Think yourself lucky that the owner creates facade forums and pats people on the head pretending to listen? I would rather have an honest bastard than a bastard.

WRONG. Every owner of Wigan RL needs to think themselves lucky. Lucky to have a club that ordinary people supported from virtually day 1 and still do so because without those fans the club would not be what it is today nor would it exist.

The chance to weed out, how long do you want to give him? This is a league where only 2 teams obtained standards beyond Wigan. There is no earthly reason why Wigan with the players they have could not match Catalan in achievement stakes. Worse still you could have even better players but the outdated inept coaching strategy they have to follow would see under achievement continue and continue.
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

Another pointless cosmetic exercise, its not a forum because that’s supposed to be a free and open discussion with honesty from all sides not being told everything is alright when it clearly is not.
I make no bones about it I do not think Noble is the man to improve Wigan, we have already conceded more points than in the whole of last season and in fact only two teams have conceded more and this from a coach who builds success from a strong defence because he could never in his coaching career be described as an attacking coach. He saved us from relegation but has made us a more boring team which lacks any pride or enthusiasm.

What do we do, well cut of Lenegan's supply of cash and show him that we will not put up with the crap that we are paying to watch because I think that’s the only thing that’s going to influence him. Ignore him when he comes up to have a matey chat because he doesn’t take any notice. Many of you said he spoke to you after Cardiff and was apologetic about the performance but its got worse so he falls into the “New Labour” trap and forgets that spin is not the total answer (unless your Shane Warne).

Incidentally spoke to Shaun Wane after game on Friday and he was totally gutted and I think ready to have a pop at anyone who said the wrong thing, he cares about Wigan, he has pride in shirt and knows what it means to be part of this great club, make him coach.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

butt monkey wrote:This "sounds" like a very interesting meeting!

I think that IL/JL/PH would be very foolish if there words were allowed to "come back and haunt them". Hence you have to give some latitude to the current situation, money-wise, back-room staff wise, merchandise wise etc. I can well believe that things at the club are currently "not up to scratch". The club imo, is still suffering from the "fall-out" from Jack Robinson's tenure-ship and how he (and David Bradshaw) treated the club's merchandise suppliers, as far as arranging deals for merchandise (which in all honesty has been pathetic since we moved to the JJB).

I also except that prices will rise too CP! LOL I can imagine your "anger", when you go to the local supermarket and your favorite fruit has gone up again, as all prices have been doing for years now - it's called inflation, and Wigan's entrance fee is currently one of the cheapest in SL. Even stains charge more for entry to that sh*thole!

I would really hope that the players themselves have introduced a "code of conduct", also that they realise that there is no apparent leadership on field. This has been a "bug bear" for while now.

Lets just hope that the club can be run professionally as it should be from now on......

As for how long Noble stays, he will be the "one" who decides that - with the team performances for the remainder of this season and (if he is still here) next.
Inflation is irrelevant BM. I could be zero % and IL would be raising prices. The last person I can recall who told people his product was crap and expected them to continue buying it was Gerald Ratner. Last night you had an owner say yes OUR CORE BUSINESS is crap, I agree the team are as boring as watching paint dry blah blah and that is not going to change any time soon and if you blame me I will say it was the guys before me blah blah blah.

I am lucky I have a decent job. That does not mean I do not know how much some people put into supporting this club as a % of their incomes etc. I would think LOGICALLY that if the team continues to produce a crap on field product and raises the cost of being bored shitless that cowds will drop and yet this guy thinks they can go to 20,000. I used to believe that being a Wiganer meant you were nobody's fool, now ....

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

the problem with Wane is that he has another career.

I found the woman who wouldn't want to pay a bit extra for more games quite funny... "how can you have my support"?

stupid wench... simple, you are a Wigan supporter - more games = more money - simple. She also annoyed me she had an electric fan with her, kept buzzing, worse than a ticking clock
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame