Anyone Fancy Starting A Petition For Us TO Keep Micky Higham?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Anyone Fancy Starting A Pe...

Post by DaveO »

j658 wrote:
emperorkel wrote: IMO this is one of Wigans biggest problems and the reason why I think Noble is overated as a coach, he subs by the clock and takes no notice at all of how the team is playing or the flow of the game. He clearly has a pre-prepared plan and we have to stick to it no matter what is happening on the pitch.
I think this is proved wrong by Noble not putting Feka back on the field against Wakey to keep our most mobile defence out there.
That is the first time its happened all season IMO. How about when he took Higham and someone else off (can't remember who) for the lat 10 mins v Les Cats at home and put McIllorum and Tomkins on? In a tight game you would not do that but he did v Les cats and it went a long way to costing us the game. That last 10 mins was when you wanted your experienced players on, not the kids.
Back to the point. For me its about value for money, comparing what Riddell offers to what Mickey does.
Joe Lydon said that the dressing room is the quietest he has ever seen. It certainly won't be when piggy arrives. He should set a solid platform for the forwards to work off which Mickey (although a great impact hooker) doesn't always do. Piggy is an accomplished goal kicker, providing back up for Richards, and on top of that he will be taking charge of the academy side. I'd be surprised if his wages weren't a fair bit lower as well.
Are you serious? An Aussie coming over for three years on low(er) wages? You simply can't say one is better value than the other as neither you nor I know what they earn.
Players have to move on. I remember how gutted I was when Furner left. It’s part of the modern game with the salary cap. Wigan still have to do more balancing than most sides. At the end of the season we'll have to thank Mickey for his efforts and wish him the best at whichever club takes him on.
It is a part of the modern game I agree but the justifications for Piggy v Micky based on what they earn are just not valid because if we re-signed Higham next season why would it be on mega bucks? It would be a new contract so anyone saying Higham doesn't offer value for money is completely ignoring the fact any deal would have been on new terms. What he earned this last three years is not relevant to any new deal. Why do people not understand this?

Dave
Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

Assuming Wigan can not / will not sigh Cunningham , Diskin or Newton, who else from Superleague would you prefer to Higham? I do not have the exact statistics, but I’m pretty confident to state that Wigan score the majority of their points when Higham is on the pitch.

Just to add another viewpoint - Regardless of how highly you rate his playing ability, Mickey Higham has not missed a game over the past 3 seasons. Is there any other player in the squad who can claim the same consistency? Is he the only Wigan player not to have missed a game through injury? Is that not the kind of player you want in your squad?

I agree with adding to and continually improving the squad, but personally I believe it’s a huge mistake to let Higham go.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO wrote:It is a part of the modern game I agree but the justifications for Piggy v Micky based on what they earn are just not valid because if we re-signed Higham next season why would it be on mega bucks? It would be a new contract so anyone saying Higham doesn't offer value for money is completely ignoring the fact any deal would have been on new terms. What he earned this last three years is not relevant to any new deal. Why do people not understand this?

Dave
You are assuming that Higham would be willing to accept lower wages from Wigan though Dave. Have you ever heard that he would be willing to do so?

Irrespective of whether they would be "new terms" or not, he would most likely expect a very similar amount as he is currently on, as it would likely be his last for a SL side. So I for one, could not see an interchange hooker (for that was what he made a career on), remaining at a club desperate for a "real" number 9.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Lil Feka's Dad wrote:Assuming Wigan can not / will not sigh Cunningham , Diskin or Newton, who else from Superleague would you prefer to Higham? I do not have the exact statistics, but I’m pretty confident to state that Wigan score the majority of their points when Higham is on the pitch.

Just to add another viewpoint - Regardless of how highly you rate his playing ability, Mickey Higham has not missed a game over the past 3 seasons. Is there any other player in the squad who can claim the same consistency? Is he the only Wigan player not to have missed a game through injury? Is that not the kind of player you want in your squad?

I agree with adding to and continually improving the squad, but personally I believe it’s a huge mistake to let Higham go.
So you "go along" with improving and strengthening the team, so long as Higham is the exception to that, you will be happy?

To the point you "playfully" quote better hookers in SL that Wigan may be interested in. For definite, ALL are better first choice hookers, and if it wasn't for Terry Newton's indiscipline whilst at Wigan (gulp at out poor record this year), he would have been far more heralded than he was by most on here when he did play for us. He too, was far more creative, than Higham has ever been for Wigan.

Injuries are "part and parcel" of the game. You could not for definite state for a fact that Mickey could/or could not pick up a serious injury in his very first match for his new team (not wishing it on the fellow). So the point about being non-injury prone as a reason for keeping a player is as much use as saying Liam Colbon is not injury prone (or Vaealiki), so Wigan must keep then!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

butt monkey wrote: So you "go along" with improving and strengthening the team, so long as Higham is the exception to that, you will be happy?
Apologies for not making my point clearly, please allow me to clarify - I do not believe the Wigan squad will be better without Higham.

As I said, if there is a better hooker available, bring them in. However I believe the best hooker at Wigan is Mickey Higham, so unless the powers that be decide to bring in 2 better hookers, I disagree with the decision not to retain Mickey Higham.

I believe that if a new hooker is brought in, and assuming that there is only room within the salary cap for one other (which in itself I find baffling, given that it is regarded as such a pivotal role), then I believe Higham should be retained and McIllorum should be the one released.

butt monkey wrote: Injuries are "part and parcel" of the game. You could not for definite state for a fact that Mickey could/or could not pick up a serious injury in his very first match for his new team (not wishing it on the fellow). So the point about being non-injury prone as a reason for keeping a player is as much use as saying Liam Colbon is not injury prone (or Vaealiki), so Wigan must keep then!
I agree that nobody can accurately predict the future, and staying injury free does require a certain amount of good fortune. Having said that, certain lifestyle choices including diet, training, rest etc. all contribute to a body’s ability to take the brutal collisions associated with RL and recover from the same. I believe “model professional” is a term often attributed in such cases.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

heard a whisper its not quite over for mickey yet,there is a possibility Mcculorum maybe sent out on loan to gain experince thus leaving a spot open for mickey
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
j658

Post by j658 »

DaveO wrote:That is the first time its happened all season IMO.
Thats fair enough but the original poster said it wouldn't change no matter the circumstances which obviously goes against what happened in our most recent game.
DaveO wrote:Are you serious? An Aussie coming over for three years on low(er) wages? You simply can't say one is better value than the other as neither you nor I know what they earn.
I think its slightly unfair for you to pick the one thing I said I'd be surprised to find out, rather than the 4 other areas I think Riddell may offer more than Higham.
DaveO wrote:It is a part of the modern game I agree but the justifications for Piggy v Micky based on what they earn are just not valid because if we re-signed Higham next season why would it be on mega bucks? It would be a new contract so anyone saying Higham doesn't offer value for money is completely ignoring the fact any deal would have been on new terms. What he earned this last three years is not relevant to any new deal. Why do people not understand this?

Dave
I didn't say that Mickey doesn't offer value for money, & i'm not going to pretend I know what he earns. I also think it was wrong of IL to publicly state that Mickey would be judged on his form this season, then fairly obviously go looking for a replacement.

However, there isn't room in the team for 1 starting hooker (piggy) & 2 impact hookers and these boards would erupt (rightly) if IL let go of another talented player that we have brought through the academy. (unless it was on loan for a season but that means we have the same merry go round next year)
pedro

Post by pedro »

mike binder wrote:heard a whisper its not quite over for mickey yet,there is a possibility Mcculorum maybe sent out on loan to gain experince thus leaving a spot open for mickey
he was told that he wasnt being kept the day they signed Riddell.

Hope tyhey do give him a lifeline and play them both.

He will not be on mega bucks going to wire as he will be under study to Clarke there.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Lil Feka's Dad wrote:
butt monkey wrote: So you "go along" with improving and strengthening the team, so long as Higham is the exception to that, you will be happy?
Apologies for not making my point clearly, please allow me to clarify - I do not believe the Wigan squad will be better without Higham.

As I said, if there is a better hooker available, bring them in. However I believe the best hooker at Wigan is Mickey Higham, so unless the powers that be decide to bring in 2 better hookers, I disagree with the decision not to retain Mickey Higham.
You are contradicting yourself there. You admit that Higham is the best hooker at Wigan :roll: (as if there is much competition). Then say if there is better
bring them in
. Which is exactly what Wigan feel they have done! :eh:

You cannot argue that Higham is/was a better interchange hooker ie made the most impact (and thus performed better), when he came off the bench. This is his problem, no-one to start the game at hooker for Higham at Wigan. With McIlorum at the club (probably for the "long term") then he was the obvious choice to be retained.

pedro

Post by pedro »

butt monkey wrote:
Lil Feka's Dad wrote:

You are contradicting yourself there. You admit that Higham is the best hooker at Wigan :roll: (as if there is much competition). Then say if there is better
bring them in
. Which is exactly what Wigan feel they have done! :eh:

You cannot argue that Higham is/was a better interchange hooker ie made the most impact (and thus performed better), when he came off the bench. This is his problem, no-one to start the game at hooker for Higham at Wigan. With McIlorum at the club (probably for the "long term") then he was the obvious choice to be retained.
I know MM is a good lad and will be a good un but I think we should aim for 2 good proven hookers like Saints and Leeds will have next year