Carmont to french rugby union

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
weststand-rich

Re: Carmont to french rugby union

Post by weststand-rich »

josie andrews wrote: Ashton left initially because of Mike Withers, one of Nobby's jobs for the boys, who replaced him at fullback, even though he'd been given the number 4 shirt, he was never took on to play centre, and a great many fans predicted this as soon as Withers was signed that Ashton would leave. That happened before the end of the 2006 season and I asked Brian if the signing would affect his selection of Chris to which he replied 'if he's playing well he (Ashton)will get selected', that is the only time I've told Brian that he was a fool and that Ashton would leave as soon as an opportunity arose, and I was proved right.
This is where interpretation comes in. I heard basically the same thing at the time, but that Withers was brought in becuase the club already had a sniff that Chris Ashton was getting uppity and itchy feet.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

weststand-rich wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Ashton left initially because of Mike Withers, one of Nobby's jobs for the boys, who replaced him at fullback, even though he'd been given the number 4 shirt, he was never took on to play centre, and a great many fans predicted this as soon as Withers was signed that Ashton would leave. That happened before the end of the 2006 season and I asked Brian if the signing would affect his selection of Chris to which he replied 'if he's playing well he (Ashton)will get selected', that is the only time I've told Brian that he was a fool and that Ashton would leave as soon as an opportunity arose, and I was proved right.
This is where interpretation comes in. I heard basically the same thing at the time, but that Withers was brought in becuase the club already had a sniff that Chris Ashton was getting uppity and itchy feet.
Sorry didn't know that :blush:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
gillysmyhero

Re: Carmont to french rugby un...

Post by gillysmyhero »

the_cow wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
the_cow wrote:let's all give this argument over salary value a bit of economic perspective...

the average median (not mean) salary in the uk in 2007 was £489 a week (office of national stats). that is for the whole uk and i guess encompasses all sectors and all levels of work from unskilled labourers to executive directors. so if you times that up 52 x £489 = £25,428 pa.
Can you tell me where one of these jobs are based please? :roll:
I reckon that this figure is a fair reflection upon skilled workers in most industries and you consider how much the top earners in the country earn which must distort the figures. Also, you have to consider the north/south difference in pay levels and cost of living. However, when you think about the number of unskilled workers earning about £12/£13k it makes the figures hard to believe. It's more than likely that the figures are being spun by the gov't as per usual.

Going back to my original post- you get the feeling that with some r.l. players (eg. hock), there isnt much going on upstairs, and so i think they are doing very well for themselves to be on over £50k as they would be lucky to earn that in 3 yrs if they were in the normal world.

They are Pro sports men who have a career of around 10 to 11 yrs if they are lucky to avoid injury.I earn a hell of a lot less than 50k a year but (hopefully) my career will last a lot longer than a pro Rugby League players.My point is that they are have got to make as much money as they can in the time they are at the top of their profession and 50k a year is not a lot of money IMO when you think of over 10 to 11 yrs career.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Warrior10 wrote:in tonites observer- feels he can earn more money away from wigan and strongly linked to french rugby union, also quoted though that wigan would be reluctant to release him, lenagan also looking at a club shop near to the ground
IF he wants to go, then good riddance. Wigan do not need players here for the money. If he is unhappy, let him join SBW, who is currently regretting his own move into french ru.

Wigan should not cow tow to players just because they feel there worth has increased after just one season
And who do we sign then for the low wage he is supposed to be on .We wont get a player of his caliber on the cheap.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

weststand-rich wrote:
he had itchy feet long before Jo public was made aware of it....
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

gillysmyhero wrote:
They are Pro sports men who have a career of around 10 to 11 yrs if they are lucky to avoid injury.I earn a hell of a lot less than 50k a year but (hopefully) my career will last a lot longer than a pro Rugby League players.My point is that they are have got to make as much money as they can in the time they are at the top of their profession and 50k a year is not a lot of money IMO when you think of over 10 to 11 yrs career.
Excellent point. You beat me to it!

Unfortunately, average wage in RU dwarfs good wage in RL. There was a time that the best players in the world played League and were well rewarded for it. Such a shame the worm has turned.

Incidentally, if it’s true that Pat Richards is now on a reduced contract he should fire his agent. I personally don’t want to see him leave, but he could have added an extra “0” to is worth if his agent had talked to the IRFU.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

Which is why we love Pat! I love Pat, you love Pat, lets face it, the guy is a LEGEND!!!!! We all love Pat!!!!

A genuniely all round nice guy who is loving his time at Wigan, and from my experience, although is a bit shy, always has time for the fans!!

Thought Georgie Boy was the same way, but if he can make a lot more money in union then good luck to him, lets face it he isnt the youngest person in the team and he does have alot of mouths to feed...
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

the-Bowtun-Warr ior wrote:
weststand-rich wrote:

he had itchy feet long before Jo public was made aware of it....
Rubbish Chris Ashton left because he was offered a crap contract of less than 12k and told they weren't sure if he was good enough, this after winning supporters player of the year. Northampton offered over 100k per year, a house and car. In my opinion he couldnt turn it down and it was nothing to do with rubbish like "itchy feet".
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

gillysmyhero wrote:
the_cow wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Can you tell me where one of these jobs are based please? :roll:
I reckon that this figure is a fair reflection upon skilled workers in most industries and you consider how much the top earners in the country earn which must distort the figures. Also, you have to consider the north/south difference in pay levels and cost of living. However, when you think about the number of unskilled workers earning about £12/£13k it makes the figures hard to believe. It's more than likely that the figures are being spun by the gov't as per usual.

Going back to my original post- you get the feeling that with some r.l. players (eg. hock), there isnt much going on upstairs, and so i think they are doing very well for themselves to be on over £50k as they would be lucky to earn that in 3 yrs if they were in the normal world.

This is all, as per usual, player's agents rubbish, and you are swallowing it! There are no laws or rules that say that, upon retirement from professional sport, these former heroes cannot go into the job marketplace and endure the life of drudgery that everyone else has to endure throughout their working lives, eeking out the rest of their existence on wages that non-sporting types are expected to accept.

However, their in lies the answer, how many actually do? Or are they more interested in buying property/pubs/restaurants etc, in order to make further gain for little relative work. Some even earn enough to not even need to worry like most about pensions or such like, if they do continue to work, then it is only to prevent the decline of their nest egg, and to provide casual spends for their wags.

Josie herself has indicated elsewhere, that brett dallas is an electrician, does that mean wigan underpaid him?

Why should a player be able to retire for life after playing for a few years at wigan as some posters are indicating?

As I have said twice now, yet still no one has answered it, so I will repeat the question yet again. If george carmont was unhappy with the terms of his extension on his contract at the time he signed it (do not bring in how much other player are earning or how he must feel he is relatively worth in comparison to team-mates as that is speculation). Then why did he sign? Was he not happy with the money on the table at that time? Simple question for you all!

Or have the doubts about his worth come to his mind, now that a french ru scout has apparently approached him with a much bigger contract offer to up sticks and leave (according to the paper). As such, why should the club be forced into a bidding war for a player who was only too happy to stay at the club prior to the alleged approach?

He signed, so he should stay - tough!
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

gillysmyhero wrote:
wall_of_voodoo wrote:
Warrior10 wrote:in tonites observer- feels he can earn more money away from wigan and strongly linked to french rugby union, also quoted though that wigan would be reluctant to release him, lenagan also looking at a club shop near to the ground
IF he wants to go, then good riddance. Wigan do not need players here for the money. If he is unhappy, let him join SBW, who is currently regretting his own move into french ru.

Wigan should not cow tow to players just because they feel there worth has increased after just one season
And who do we sign then for the low wage he is supposed to be on .We wont get a player of his caliber on the cheap.
Still we have had a damn site far worse earning far more, so that exclamation cannot be fair, there are good player around, that should be where the scouts of the club come to the fore (if they are any good). The talent just needs to be found (for goodness sakes, the aussies never seem to have that problem, and neither do leeds of late)
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: