Major problem with Smith / Locking a Post

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
shawxshark

Re: Major problem with Smith

Post by shawxshark »

get rid of smith to be honest i've never rated him while he's been here fair enough at parra he was good but no here not for wigan..get rid and i know people will hate this but sign....................................................................danny brough. he would be cheap and he plays with his heart on his sleeve every game
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

God wrote:
DaveO wrote:
God wrote:I say leave the lad alone, let him get the help, and stop documenting his life story on internet forums. Because its none of our business.

What he does on the pitch is our business, off it, none of ours.
Well I certainly hope there are no false rumours spread about Smith as that won't help matters.

Unfortunately its just a fact of life controversial players like Smith do attract more attention than others. They are just under the microscope more.

As to what he does off the pitch being none of our business I disagree. It's is the same regarding any player and I am sure IL himself said if fans spotted players out if their trees he wanted to know.

I'd like to think our players are professional off the pitch as well as on it and if any player, not just Smith, is seen out on the town getting paralytic during the season you will often see threads about it appear on here or rlfans if someone saw them and then there will be a big debate about it.

Dave
You disagree, i thought you would. What he does in his own time is none of our business regardless of what I.L says.
You can go back years looking at what I have posted about this subject on here an on r.s.r.l the Usenet newsgroup.

Players like Betts an Hanley were tea total professionals and so got my respect for that. They knew to the be the best they didn't go on the lash.

If players, in their own time, get sloshed regularly I don't want them at Wigan. It's supposed to be a professional sport but I sometimes wonder if people understand the meaning of the word professional in this context and think the game can be played after a few pints down the pub.

I help pay their wages and so I expect them to look after themselves and to turn up to training and games fit and ready to go not nursing a hangover.

I am sure the club feels the same way. I know other posters do also.
Who are we the fans to police somebody who wants to go out of there own home. Its comments like these is to why the lad is like he is and put under the so called microscope.

Leave him alone let him recieve his help from professionals because it has nothing to do with us what happens in his spare time.
If you had read my post properly you would have realised I was making a general point about all players not Smith in particular.

As to leaving him alone - I certainly won't be posting any rumour threads about Smith but whether you like it or not RL players in Wigan are celebrities and as such ARE under the microscope. You can't change that.

If they step out of line they will get talked about on message boards which was another general point I was making. You can't change that either.

I think Smith is a talented player. What little we have seen so far shows that. His first try at Wigan was great. His short kicking game close to the line is great. He could be a very good player for us.

But I am not letting that blind to to the fact his is a bit of a risky signing.

I think he will see next season out with us and them return home. I have said that before and I think he will use his time at Wigan to re-launch his RL career. That isn't slight on the player just my view of how long I think he will stay here.

I certainly hope there is nothing in the rumour at the start of this thread because I'd like to see him play for us next season.

Dave
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

shawxshark wrote:get rid of smith to be honest i've never rated him while he's been here fair enough at parra he was good but no here not for wigan..get rid and i know people will hate this but sign....................................................................danny brough. he would be cheap and he plays with his heart on his sleeve every game
What a load of rubbish Brough is crap and if you think he is better than Smith you need your electro therapy doses increasing.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Briers, now that would be a signing. Brough got slated here last year when I said he was worth a look. Nothing changes,
Jim
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

slimshady wrote:
shawxshark wrote:get rid of smith to be honest i've never rated him while he's been here fair enough at parra he was good but no here not for wigan..get rid and i know people will hate this but sign....................................................................danny brough. he would be cheap and he plays with his heart on his sleeve every game
What a load of rubbish Brough is crap and if you think he is better than Smith you need your electro therapy doses increasing.
He would put in alot more effort than smith and eveyone knows it. the last game at leeds he hid out in centers
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

One of the reasons Smith came to the UK was the pressure RL players get in Aus, there they are regarded in the same way premiership wendy ballers are over here.
Give the lad a break. If he wants to go for a bevy at this time of the year, so What? I reckon most people on here, not all I must add, have had a drink or two in their time . Smith is a quality player IMO. He will be a more than adequate replacement for Barrett (again, just my opinion, but I'd rather give him the chance before the fans drag him down.). Leave him alone!! If discipline is required, it should be done through the club, not a kangaroo court and lynch mob on the internet.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

DaveO wrote:I help pay their wages

Dave
I think this statement explains everything about any of your so called points or arguments that you make on here DaveO. You think that, because you contribute your hard earned cash, you have more of a say-so on signings and player contracts that anyone else, including the chairman!

On another thread, you are willing to argue to the point of stupidity, that carmont, who has recently accepted an extension, should now be allowed to demand more of your money. That the club also, as a response to a season not upto your standard, should also attempt to freeze or reduce admission prices/season tickets for next season. How would this work? Are you expecting a greater contribution wage-wise from Mr Lenighan to off-set this?

Perhaps some who think like you, should organize wigan's version of the l.i.s.a, which helps pay (amongst things) players wages at leigh. Then you could be happy directly funding players wages and and demands in the future - yet somehow........

I doubt you will be willing to do so .......I wonder why?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Briers? now that is talking crap.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

ddtftf wrote:Briers? now that is talking crap.
In his st helens' days he didn't look too bad a player. Lazy and hugely over-rated nowadays. A player who has suffered from some very mediocre coaches influencing his career (not withstanding alleged other habits)
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Don't you just love threads like this.

"I know something you don't know. I'm not going to tell you what it is, but it's absolutely massive. I'm not going to tell you who supplied the information either, but he's in a position to know. Now ... feel free to speculate."

And people are actually thanking him for it.

WW always seems like an honest enough guy, but he's been proved wrong on at least two occasions - Trent Barrett's serious leg injury, which was going to keep him out for many weeks, and Karl Pryce, who was definitely not going to sign for Wigan

On this occasion he appears to be hedging his bets: "Wigan have a major problem with Smith. But I'm not prepared to supply any details at all ... presumably so that in case I'm wrong no-one can berate me for it."