Latest On Greg Bird

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Latest On Greg Bird

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

MrDave wrote:
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Are you a barrister? (I admit that I am not - however....) There are many forms of charges for injury and reckless gbh is the lowest (gbh with intent coming next), so it is likely his defence will plead either provocation or lack of responsibility under the grounds that he was "under the influence". Either way, with his gf refusing to make a statement, the police (and prosecution service) will have very little to "go on" imo (very similar to feka, with the person involved dropping chrges, yet feka being still charged with evidence taken from witnesses and cctv - only getting community service).

As for 10 years for NOT MURDERING someone - is this likely? Even in australia??? I think to many episodes of morse have been watched by someone :wink:
Offenses Against the person go in this order: Assault, Battery, ABH, GBH, GBH with intent obvious GBH with intent is the most serious. If the Australian legal system is the same as the English then he cannot use provacation as that is only a defence to murder and being under the influence is not a defence to crimes committed recklessly because you are reckless to become under the influence, it would be a defence to GBH with intent which would be reduced to reckless GBH.

On another note, the Daily Express this morning has the story that Wigan have made an offer for Greg Bird which is a cash and player exchange offer, the player being exchanged is Cameron Phelps.
Irrespective, their is no formulae that would give bird a possible jail sentence, even a ten year one as you intimate might be possible. I very seriously doubt that any jail term will be forthcoming - more likely fined (and if it exists in australia) some sort of community service if he is found guilty, and the reports coming from australia at the moment seem that any action will be hardly the death sentence some on here predicted for him when this "bad boy" was first linked with wigan
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Irrespective, their is no formulae that would give bird a possible jail sentence, even a ten year one as you intimate might be possible. I very seriously doubt that any jail term will be forthcoming - more likely fined (and if it exists in australia) some sort of community service if he is found guilty, and the reports coming from australia at the moment seem that any action will be hardly the death sentence some on here predicted for him when this "bad boy" was first linked with wigan
Sorry I don't think I was clear in my post, 10 years is the maximum sentence for reckless wounding or reckless GBH not the recommended sentence. Even if he is found guilty he is very unlikely to get a maximum sentence as from reports in Australia it doesn't seem that series I was just making the point that such a crime could carry a jail sentence.

I would agree that he from what has been reported over the past few weeks he will probably get none or very little punishment. From what I've read its the police who are taking it to court, his girlfriend withdrew her statement so they can't use that as evidence and the other charges are hard to prove without clear evidence so he will probably escape with no punishment.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I would rather have Greg Bird than cameron Phelps.
For one we need a regular stand off, especially to gradually bring Sam Tomkins in to the fold.
Secondly, if Amos Roberts comes we already have two decent enough wingers which is the only position I would class Cameron Phelps as capable of playing, IMO he is not strong enough at 3 or 4.
Thirdly, I cant honestly see why Wigan offered CP another contract to take up an overseas position in our team.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

wigan cant afford him ,the wire have loads of room to keep him under there cap as they dont have a limit
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

mike binder wrote:wigan cant afford him ,the wire have loads of room to keep him under there cap as they dont have a limit
I LIKE IT QUALITY.

as for phelps i'll personally drive him to terminal 2 and check him if were getting bird and amos..that will be good business..pryce and roberts one side george and paddy other..sounds good i know but we need to get the ball to them first.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Will he get a visa and like wise will he be able to enter the UK whilst under investigation ?
If he has a trial date set it suggests he has already been arrested, charged and then released until the trial.

He is innocent until proven guilty so there is nothing the police in Australia or England can do to stop him moving country. Since he has not been convicted of any crime yet he will probably pass the criminal record section on the visa application form.

The police could ask a judge to impose a travel restriction on Greg Bird but they would have to produce some evidence to suggest he might not return for his trial or that they still need him for further investigation. So as long as he returns for he trial he is free to go whether he likes, after the trial it all depends on whether he is found guilty or not guilty.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Are we interested or not in signing Mr Bird? It depends on which paper you read - Express or Independent! There is obviously something happening behind the scenes though. It looks as though Roberts will be annonced as a new signing in the next few days, after Carmont's Samoan passport is received and Smith's return will depend on whether we can sign a suitable replacement.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

MrDave wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Will he get a visa and like wise will he be able to enter the UK whilst under investigation ?
If he has a trial date set it suggests he has already been arrested, charged and then released until the trial.

He is innocent until proven guilty so there is nothing the police in Australia or England can do to stop him moving country. Since he has not been convicted of any crime yet he will probably pass the criminal record section on the visa application form.

The police could ask a judge to impose a travel restriction on Greg Bird but they would have to produce some evidence to suggest he might not return for his trial or that they still need him for further investigation. So as long as he returns for he trial he is free to go whether he likes, after the trial it all depends on whether he is found guilty or not guilty.
Although todd carney at huddersfield has had a prolonged delay in obtaining his visa (for whatever reason). I doubt that any player fleeing australia would choose the uk, I am sure there is an extradition agreement between the countries, so unless specific demands have been placed upon him (reporting to police stations at regular intervals etc).

I think any movement is more dependent on wigan's quota and bird's release agreement with cronulla.
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

shaunedwardsfan club wrote:Are we interested or not in signing Mr Bird? It depends on which paper you read - Express or Independent! There is obviously something happening behind the scenes though. It looks as though Roberts will be annonced as a new signing in the next few days, after Carmont's Samoan passport is received and Smith's return will depend on whether we can sign a suitable replacement.
According to the aussie press not!!

Meanwhile, no decision has made on the future of Greg Bird who is in New York holidaying with girlfriend Katie Milligan. It is understood UK club Wigan have withdrawn their interest in Bird who his facing charges relating to an alleged glassing incident.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/sa ... 45315.html

If Cronulla have signed Matutia that suggests they have freed up some salary space and thus by implication Bird is being allowed to leave.