Wigan vs Wakey Reactions

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
THE 18th Man

Re: Wigan vs Wakey Reactions

Post by THE 18th Man »

every team whether its Soccer, Rugby, Cricket or any other sport has a player who the fans blame and take their frustration out on and our's is Richie Mathers although he did nearly nothing wrong except wait a few seconds to collect a ball (why does it matter that he waited, he was surrounded and if the team are just walking to scrums then why should he rush) how about Andy Coley being our worst player because he knocked it on, on the line with six tackles or Tommy for knocking it on about 3 times. and when Mathers was sin-binned we didnt play better or worse so it show Wigan wernt up for it not just Richie - he had a shaky season last season but wipe the slate clean and get over it. then again he could be top try scorer and he'd still get called and starcastcily cheered
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

THE 18th Man wrote:every team whether its Soccer, Rugby, Cricket or any other sport has a player who the fans blame and take their frustration out on and our's is Richie Mathers although he did nearly nothing wrong except wait a few seconds to collect a ball
I'm sorry - what game were you watching. He did nearly nothing right surely. Every situation he had to deal with, he failed - apart from one time when he caught a high ball.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
mickh

Post by mickh »

I've kept away from rugby for the past 4 months, this site included. I was disolusioned with what went on last season, Noble talking the talk, and not producing the backbone to drop the none producers (as someone said earlier if he didn't do his job he would be up the road). I bought my season ticket, more in habit than anticipation, expecting hope for the new season with a full team bursting with energy to start it with a good win.
I was nearly late because I was arguing with my 14 year old to get out of the chair and get ready for the match (he likes his rugby), his reply! "I don't want to go I am tidying my room" that is the Gods honest truth. (I got home and he had tidied it) I wish I had helped him!
There is not a move in the players heads, there is no drive, there is no leadership, either on or off the field, I despair for the once great club that I knew, the players of the past would put their bodies on the line to make yards, to make tackles, to play for their team mates, it just came natural. Which brings me on to Mathers, the prancing prima dona is useless, he is a gutless chicken with the positional sense of an ostrich with his head in the sand, I think Mr Noble has his head in the same patch of sand if he thinks Mathers has talent on a rugby pitch. Sorry he can do something good, back slap his team mates when they do something good! Whats that all about?
The other players are nervous when he is fullbacking so they cant play their own game to the best of their ability, own confidence, team confidence, it all adds up!

Decent game from Tommy, he tried hard, Fielden put the effort in also, give Roberts time, he will get better.

Iv'e booked a hotel for the Harlequins game, after that performance today against Wakefield's A team I wish I hadn't bothered.

Welcome to the new posters by the way, it's going to be a long season!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

THE 18th Man wrote:every team whether its Soccer, Rugby, Cricket or any other sport has a player who the fans blame and take their frustration out on and our's is Richie Mathers although he did nearly nothing wrong except wait a few seconds to collect a ball (why does it matter that he waited, he was surrounded and if the team are just walking to scrums then why should he rush) how about Andy Coley being our worst player because he knocked it on, on the line with six tackles or Tommy for knocking it on about 3 times. and when Mathers was sin-binned we didnt play better or worse so it show Wigan wernt up for it not just Richie - he had a shaky season last season but wipe the slate clean and get over it. then again he could be top try scorer and he'd still get called and starcastcily cheered
I understand where you are coming from re Mathers. People around me were quick to jump on any error but he does give them the ammunition.

I'd also agree with you about Coley and he was IMO our worst player despite Mathers frailties.

But we took the wrong option more than once with tackles left in the count. He who can do no wrong, Lockers, put in a grubber kick in the first half on the right with tackles left. Completely the wrong option. I think we did this sort of thing about three or four times and it was different players each time.

Dave
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

How much longer have we got to put up with the dross served up by Wigan today.
We need a fresh start that`s Noble out and he can take Mathers with him.
He can also take Tim Smith Riddell and Roberts with him .
to think we laost higham for Riddell it`s a joke ,
nobles signed them Roberts is here for 4 years oh dear.
Come on Lenegan have the bottle to sack him .
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

We lost to a team depleted with injuries who played for each other and played basic rugby .Our so called super stars played one man rugby no cohesion whatsoever no game plan could'nt tackle a paper bag basicly we lost the match in the first 30 mins and had no idea of how to score .This is down to coaching there is no excuse for this diabolical display that we have seen today.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jaws1 wrote:We lost to a team depleted with injuries who played for each other and played basic rugby .Our so called super stars played one man rugby no cohesion whatsoever no game plan could'nt tackle a paper bag basicly we lost the match in the first 30 mins and had no idea of how to score .This is down to coaching there is no excuse for this diabolical display that we have seen today.
Their second try from the kick was like taking candy from a baby. It was like a training ground manoeuvre and was far too easy.

We had nothing like that because we never got into a position to be able to do it.

My next game will be Cas at home then none until 9th April due to a combination of having to go overseas for work and the fact my wife didn't check the fixture list before getting tickets to a concert for a birthday present on 27th March.

So the 9th April will be my next game after Cas.

After today I think that is possibly a good thing because we will either have woken up and started to play by then or got a new coach.

Well I say that thinking those are the two obvious alternatives I see. There is a third and that is IL is too stingy to pay Noble off and hire another coach!

Dave
asiocia

Post by asiocia »

Wigan has a Rugby League team. Perhaps had is the most appropriate term. It is a shame to the town and the ancient and loyal supporters that a professional team can continue to play below standard. Get thee finger out!
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

When I logged on and saw the scoreline I thought that Wakey must have secretly signed Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier.

But no, they still had the same bunch of cast offs and hasbeens plus the likes of Ricky Bibey and Oliver Wilkes, it's just amazing.

Sean Gleeson not good enough hey ? the same thing will happen to Daz Goulding when he wakes up to himself and realises he is wasting his time playing under the joke of a coach.

To lose to that Wakey side (due respect) means something is drastically wrong and the fans deserve better.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

It's very sad that after one game there is so much frustration and anger on this website. All of it sadly justified by an inept and unprofessional performance. However, don't take anything away from Wakefield who played well, with clear purpose and plan, and nullified anything Wigan threw at them (which wasn't much). They deserved their win and if we are honest were unlucky not to score a couple of times more.

Noble said on radio Mancs that he felt some players had their own agendas which speaks volumes about the lack of cohesion on the field. Some players did try, but we just didn't look like a team. Surely we have had long enough to get a side to gel, and we do have good players, but not it seems a good team.

A decent crowd and all the optimism of the first match of the season all risk being thrown away.
The saddest part for me is the players who've gone and simply not been replaced.
Stevethegas