The team needs us!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Warrior10

Re: The team needs us!

Post by Warrior10 »

So will I. Lets get behind our team, thats what supporting someone involves. I got off a plane at 11, waited for me luggage, got back wigan at 12 and went to work at 12.45. At the end of the day i will do anything to be able to watch the team. Yeah we pretty shit at minute but got to stick by them through the thick and the thin. Get out there and wear your shirts with pride, maybe the players will wear theirs with pride if they stop reading all this negative moaning. It is bound to get the players down, no one like criticism.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

we can moan about the squad all we want to until we see positives... to which we will say positive things.

Wigan will always (for this season at least) have a base of supporters around 11,000 and 1,000 away fans that wont change.

there are different types of supporters: die hards, casual, randomers... it doesnt matter what you are as long as you have wigan rl in your mind, be interested in the club online, in the media etc... you are a supporter.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

- psycho - wrote:yes the coach calls the shots, but the players have to put it into practice.

for example, if you're learning to drive, the instructor can give you as much advice and show you as much as he can, but you have to then put it into practice. if you are rubbish the finger can be pointed at your instructor but its you thats driving at the end of the day.

same with the players, noble can be giving as many orders as he wants, but if the players don't do it, he can't exactly get on the field and show them how its done. the poweraid bottles stay in the changing rooms to.
Do you think he is giving orders on how to defend? Such as the way we do which is take a couple of steps forward then stop and wait for the opposition to run at us? There are numerous other "tactics" that occur week in week out that can't be anything other than his tactics.

Likewise his subs policy is often called into question and also his selections can be very strange. What about player fitness. Is that not his responsibility?

It is far too simplistic to suggest Noble says one thing and the team do another.

My view is the problem is the other way around. The players ARE doing what they are told but what they are being told is outmoded and outdated.
i wouldn't be so hasty to sack noble as sacking coaches has got us nowhere, surely we have learned this lesson by now. we employ a new coach presuming we find one and he thne has to turn it around in half a season, tough ask, as soon as he walks through the door hes faced with pressure instantly.
Sacking Noble is not being hasty! He has been here three years. That is long enough to have shown some improvement and his win to loss ration has steadily got worse year on year in the league.

Also the fact a new coach would be under pressure etc is no reason to keep Noble on. Whenever has it made sense to keep a failing coach on because the incoming one faces a tough job? The reason the outgoing coach would get the sack is because the team was failing so what else but a tough job awaits the new bloke?

This situation is not like the somewhat mythical notion Wigan sack coaches too readily.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Warrior10 wrote:So will I. Lets get behind our team, thats what supporting someone involves. I got off a plane at 11, waited for me luggage, got back wigan at 12 and went to work at 12.45. At the end of the day i will do anything to be able to watch the team. Yeah we pretty shit at minute but got to stick by them through the thick and the thin. Get out there and wear your shirts with pride, maybe the players will wear theirs with pride if they stop reading all this negative moaning. It is bound to get the players down, no one like criticism.
People are only affected by criticism if they deserve it IMO. What you really mean is the players don't like their failings being pointed out to them.

If the criticism was unjust it would be water off a ducks back.

As to supporting the team it is worth saying once more there isn't a member of this forum who does not do that when they go to games and most of the people on here go to games with many of them season ticket holders.

Having been to games and seen yet another dross performance what are we supposed to do? Come on here and say well done?

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Warrior10 wrote:So will I. Lets get behind our team, thats what supporting someone involves. I got off a plane at 11, waited for me luggage, got back wigan at 12 and went to work at 12.45. At the end of the day i will do anything to be able to watch the team. Yeah we pretty shit at minute but got to stick by them through the thick and the thin. Get out there and wear your shirts with pride, maybe the players will wear theirs with pride if they stop reading all this negative moaning. It is bound to get the players down, no one like criticism.
So how do you explain Noble's comments about the match

How do you explain the abusive comments of Lennagan last season.

If you play sport criticism is part and parcel of whatever sport you play.

Quite frankly I am sick of reading namby pamby let's be nice to the players. Any Wigan player not able to accept criticism. Resign, go home and take up gardening.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

To be honest, it's quite obvious that the team don't need us. If they did; then they would put a lot more effort in than they did on Monday.

Whilst some of the players have a bond with the club (especially if it is their home town club; like Radlinski); the majority are here to get paid. That means far more to them than the cheering of the crowd.

As the Australian agent said last week, when the image rights tax law was being changed: "no-one goes to super league for the weather"
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Matthew picks up on a good point - bondage.

There are only a few players now who are Wigan lads who could/should have been grown up like you and I at Central Park watching the great wigan teams of the 80s and 90s. If you're a player of your hometown club I suspect you're a fan also and should be aware of the Bostons, Ashton, Tigues, Sullivans etc... from the Golden age of Wigan. If I played for wigan now this would be in my mind and give my all more than likely.

We now have more foreigners who may only know Wigan from a few World club challenges on telly and the reputation they have. If I went to South Sydney playing for them as an englishman I'd know about their past at a basic level but not have the feelings of a supporter of homegrown player... they too had great teams but have since stalled in the past decades. Simply they'd be just a simple rugby club. Is this how the aussies/ kiwis etc view Wigan? Just a club who had success a decade ago?

I would love for Uncle Mo to return 20 years younger and do it all again (without as many errors)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

The fact that this thread is on here at all demonstrates the whole new culture that is running through the club.

Many of the people on here who are being told how to support their team will have watched us get relegated, will have watched us playing second division rugby (I did), and will have gone on to watch a team who did not know the meaning of second place.

The fact that there are are calls on here for players to take pride in the shirt, and stating that they won't give their all because the fans are on their backs goes some way to explain why we are in this current plight.

Imagine Monie or Lowe watching some of the recent performances and then spouting out tripe about Humpty Dumpty and Omelettes. Their talking would have been done on the training paddock and under achievers who were falling about in bars wouldn't have been there to hear it.

I don't boo my team. I have not missed matches because of our results. My old man has been watching Wigan for over 60 years. He didn't bother turning up against Saints and he has a season ticket. This isn't some sort of protest. He is quite simply bored with it all.

Anyone who can watch a team who have given up part way through a game (i.e. walking slowly up the pitch to form a scrum when they are losing) and thinks this is acceptable has a different attitude to that which made us successful.
This should not need to be coached or instilled by shouts from the terraces. It comes down to personal pride.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Shaun1967 wrote:The fact that this thread is on here at all demonstrates the whole new culture that is running through the club.

Many of the people on here who are being told how to support their team will have watched us get relegated, will have watched us playing second division rugby (I did), and will have gone on to watch a team who did not know the meaning of second place.

The fact that there are are calls on here for players to take pride in the shirt, and stating that they won't give their all because the fans are on their backs goes some way to explain why we are in this current plight.

Imagine Monie or Lowe watching some of the recent performances and then spouting out tripe about Humpty Dumpty and Omelettes. Their talking would have been done on the training paddock and under achievers who were falling about in bars wouldn't have been there to hear it.

I don't boo my team. I have not missed matches because of our results. My old man has been watching Wigan for over 60 years. He didn't bother turning up against Saints and he has a season ticket. This isn't some sort of protest. He is quite simply bored with it all.

Anyone who can watch a team who have given up part way through a game (i.e. walking slowly up the pitch to form a scrum when they are losing) and thinks this is acceptable has a different attitude to that which made us successful.
This should not need to be coached or instilled by shouts from the terraces. It comes down to personal pride.
Very good post.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Agreed.

My dad has a very good book on human psychology called "How the Mind Works" and Noble should get a copy and read it.

Has anyone ever been in the situation in a job where the company decides to introduce incentives?

I don't have the book to hand but take this as an example:

4 week sales incentive - most improved salesman wins an ipod

Lets say there are three types of people in every job and 99 people in the office.

(i)33 x Mr Dependable, takes a pride in his work, always gives 100%, sets himself targets above and beyond what is expected of him.

(ii)33 x Mr Justinuff, consistently hits his sales targets but never exceeds them. Does what is expected of him and nothing more.

(iii)33 x Mr Bus, regularly late for work, misses targets more often than not.

Now Mr Dependable can't possibly improve, Mr Justinuff can improve slightly and Mr Bus has massive room for improvement so no surprises who wins the ipod.

1 x Mr Bus is presented with his ipod in front of the 98 other staff members. Your manager is pleased that sales have increased, everybody claps and gets back to work.

What happens next in an office with 1 happy Mr Bus, 32 x Mr Bus's and 33 Mr Justinuffs disappointed because they improved their sales and didn't win and 33 Mr Dependables Down right annoyed that they work hard all year and Mr Bus wins the ipod?

Thats right, you end up with 33 Mr Justinuffs and 66 Mr Bus's. Mr Bus who won the ipod does as little as always and waits for the next incentive to come along.

Now there is a lot more to this book than this simplistic example but I think you get the point.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."