Noble

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
highland convert

Re: Noble

Post by highland convert »

Well, the last hopes of Hock hit the skids. Injuries decimate the team. The captain is out. The fans favourite hooker is out. The two tackle machines that are SA and HH are not present. The workload of every player rises because of it. Brian Noble is forced out of his comfort zone. The team is weakened. The players are gutted. Now the job of rebuilding a team to maintain the top eight and get them ready for Wire in the CC really begins. Now the coach has to earn his cabbage. Let us see if Noble is up to the mark and raise the game of the also rans. Cats game is a vital win that could lift us to top 5 if the other results goes our way. Leeds and Stains win and us lifts us two more places. Unfortunately last time this scenario played out was against Celtic :(

Jim
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

OAMJS wrote: I agree 100% Dave

But we to have a successfull youth policy
Yes we do but I was using Leeds as an example of a club that have a good youth system "despite" regularly changing coaches.

The more I think about it this idea we need to stick with a coach for the sake of continuity the more I think it is a complete red herring.

People say we have not had success recently because we change coaches too often. First of all there is no guarantee we would have done any better sticking with some of the past coaches but I think part of the reason for this stance is they think the coach basically runs all the teams at the club, the youth set up - the lot.

Surely what you want is the 1st team coach be concerned with coaching the 1st team and to be a coach NOT a director of Rugby?

One of the first things to happen after Noble arrived was Dean Bell's exit. This was rumoured to be over Noble signing Flannagan over someone Bell had identified as a prospect and who he had already got some way down the line of signing.

I don't think that should have been any of Nobles responsibility. The only signings he should have input to are senior players we want to transfer in from other clubs. The youth teams should be seen by him as a resource from which he can pick players to move up to 1st team.
just a first team coach who does not know how to utilse that resource
Quite. Yet again we are going to see young players given a chance not through planned intoroduction but because of injuries.

I have no doubt that if it comes off Nobby will be wanting to take the credit for introducing the young players when he would never do so unless forced into it.

Dave
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

DaveO wrote:
OAMJS wrote: I agree 100% Dave

But we to have a successfull youth policy
Yes we do but I was using Leeds as an example of a club that have a good youth system "despite" regularly changing coaches.

The more I think about it this idea we need to stick with a coach for the sake of continuity the more I think it is a complete red herring.

People say we have not had success recently because we change coaches too often. First of all there is no guarantee we would have done any better sticking with some of the past coaches but I think part of the reason for this stance is they think the coach basically runs all the teams at the club, the youth set up - the lot.

Surely what you want is the 1st team coach be concerned with coaching the 1st team and to be a coach NOT a director of Rugby?

One of the first things to happen after Noble arrived was Dean Bell's exit. This was rumoured to be over Noble signing Flannagan over someone Bell had identified as a prospect and who he had already got some way down the line of signing.

I don't think that should have been any of Nobles responsibility. The only signings he should have input to are senior players we want to transfer in from other clubs. The youth teams should be seen by him as a resource from which he can pick players to move up to 1st team.
just a first team coach who does not know how to utilse that resource
Quite. Yet again we are going to see young players given a chance not through planned intoroduction but because of injuries.

I have no doubt that if it comes off Nobby will be wanting to take the credit for introducing the young players when he would never do so unless forced into it.

Dave
Nobles , man management and coaching skills = a big fat ZERO
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Shaun Wane has a very good job outside Rugby and according to what I have been told, would not be interested in the full time position of Head Coach.

P.S. His name is Wane nt Wayne.

well im told he has confirmed (privately) that he wants it. (by more than one person) so who should everyone believe? :doz: :roll:
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Whilst injuries may have forced Noble's hand, do you not think that he expects that we may pick up some injuries at some point in a season?

Whilst you never know what position they will occur, you always know that players wil be injured, and there will be times when a number of injuries occur at once.

So whilst Noble hasn't planned for this exact scenario, I'm sure he wasn't planning for a season without injury, and therefore knew at some point the squad players would get opportunities.

And therefore knew that they would get a chance in the team.

Even Saints, who comentators have been creaming themselves over for playing some young players have only been playing so many because they have a number of injuries. If KC, Long, Pryce, Wilkin, Cayless, etc were all fit do you think they would have planned to play so many so early?

nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

Big Steve wrote:Whilst injuries may have forced Noble's hand, do you not think that he expects that we may pick up some injuries at some point in a season?

Whilst you never know what position they will occur, you always know that players wil be injured, and there will be times when a number of injuries occur at once.

So whilst Noble hasn't planned for this exact scenario, I'm sure he wasn't planning for a season without injury, and therefore knew at some point the squad players would get opportunities.

Even Saints, who comentators have been creaming themselves over for playing some young players have only been playing so many because they have a number of injuries. If KC, Long, Pryce, Wilkin, Cayless, etc were all fit do you think they would have planned to play so many so early?

I agree with what you say but to lose 4 top class players from the pack will need some replacing and test any coach I believe we have one of the best coaches in superleague and he will rise above this and deliver a team which still can succeed and get us into the play offs
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Big Steve wrote:Whilst injuries may have forced Noble's hand, do you not think that he expects that we may pick up some injuries at some point in a season?

This isn't really a serious suggestion is it? You will be telling me next he expected to lose a player to a drugs ban so young Farrell would get a run out. It's the coaches job to plan not rely on chance.

First off as is happening now the "duty of care" thing goes out of the window because you are forced to introduce them without prior SL experience. If Noble wants to use the excuse of "duty of care" to drop players he must use the same reason to introduce them gradually which means giving them a planned introduction to the side not chucking them in at the deep end when we have an injury crisis.

The two players most people wanted to see get in the team were Ainscough and Tomkins. If injuries had not occurred they would not have got a game pretty much as Ainscough isn't getting now.

You can not rely on an injury crisis as the means of getting young players into the side. If you do some simply won't get a game because the 1st team player(s) in their position don't get injured. Higham didn't miss a game for three years with us and you usually find there are some ever present players in a season.

In any case all this policy would mean is no first team player would ever not play unless injured regardless of form. That is actually the way it is and it is wrong.
Do you think they would have planned to play none? That is Nobles way. In any case I do not believe they have only played young players when they have had injuries. I think Geoff has the figures.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nellywelly wrote: I agree with what you say but to lose 4 top class players from the pack will need some replacing and test any coach I believe we have one of the best coaches in superleague and he will rise above this and deliver a team which still can succeed and get us into the play offs
Nobles Wigan record speaks for itself and it is poor. No if's or buts it is poor. So there is no longer any basis to suggest he is one of the best coaches in SL.

As to rising above the situation, the irony of the situation is those players he would never normally play in a month of Sunday's may actually do well. If so I have no doubt you will be on here claiming that was all down to Noble.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Paul Clough, Kyle Eastmond, Chris Dean, Gary Wheeler, Matty Ashurst, Jonny Lomax all got a good number of run-outs in the first team when players in their position were fit, but rested. That means that now their injuries are piling up, they have players already with some SL experience ready to step in.

By contrast, we have Farrell, Thornley, Tuson, Davies with no SL games behind them, and Flanagan with one appearance off the bench.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

GeoffN wrote:

Paul Clough, Kyle Eastmond, Chris Dean, Gary Wheeler, Matty Ashurst, Jonny Lomax all got a good number of run-outs in the first team when players in their position were fit, but rested. That means that now their injuries are piling up, they have players already with some SL experience ready to step in.

By contrast, we have Farrell, Thornley, Tuson, Davies with no SL games behind them, and Flanagan with one appearance off the bench.
There you have it
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White