Barrow Vs Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Barrow Vs Wigan

Post by GeoffN »

THE 18th Man wrote:like the flags on pic 32

hope we use those and other things to create a huge atmosphere for the WCC
We will be! Without giving too much away, got lots of special things in the pipeline, and won't be bringing them out until the WCC, though there will be a "taster" at Cardiff... :cool:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:He has :) He was a FB all through his junior career and played for England Schools U15s there. He tended to get selected for the U20s so he was placed on the wing but he recently played for England Academy v Aus at FB. Very fast and light on his feet.

King the winger is fast, seem to be improving all the time etc and seems a smart RL player.
Russel also looked like he could easily skip into the No 10 shirt at Sarries CP. :o
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:He has :) He was a FB all through his junior career and played for England Schools U15s there. He tended to get selected for the U20s so he was placed on the wing but he recently played for England Academy v Aus at FB. Very fast and light on his feet.

King the winger is fast, seem to be improving all the time etc and seems a smart RL player.
Russel also looked like he could easily skip into the No 10 shirt at Sarries CP. :o
Phew lucky your not a coach PM :wink:

As Eclipse said his relative lack of size is an advantage making his ability to step / change direction leaves opponents chasing him. I may be wrong but IIRC, Matty running a straight line sprint is not remarkably fast. I daresay fairly avaerage. However, as a junior I have seen him leave defenders on the floor after they fell over their own feet trying to stop him. He used to hypnotise some defendrs with his footwork. The last Wigan player I can remember doing that was Jason Robinson.

In the Reserves last season, he made some fantastic scooting breaks from the wing but he was sometimes run down. He is a player who is better running at opponents rather than away from them. So light and fast (feet).

V Aus Schoolboys / v Barrow what impressed me at FB was how fast he was diagonally on those stereotypical 2nd man FB plays we see now.

I believe FB is his best position simply because the way the game has evolved wingers now deal with far more kicks than fullbacks. Cherry stated this IIRC.

Ryan King is a very interesting player to watch out for. Always struck me as a smart player and dedicated. He has superb speed. I may be wrong but he seems to have had a boost from a post 16 growth spurt.

I was hugely impressed by how speedy Josh Charnley looked. I have no information etc but to the naked eye he looks leaner and faster. Another player who I think has a fantastic attitude and a touch of confidence/belief al a Chris Ashton.

I cannot recall but it may have been Bridge who slipped that great offload for the best try v Barrow. Bridge has excellent skills. Just needs the right attitude for a forward. All forwards = Dogz of war!!

P.S Owen Farrell at 6 or Chris Tuson PM :wink:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:

Phew lucky your not a coach PM :wink:

As Eclipse said his relative lack of size is an advantage making his ability to step / change direction leaves opponents chasing him. I may be wrong but IIRC, Matty running a straight line sprint is not remarkably fast. I daresay fairly avaerage. However, as a junior I have seen him leave defenders on the floor after they fell over their own feet trying to stop him. He used to hypnotise some defendrs with his footwork. The last Wigan player I can remember doing that was Jason Robinson.

In the Reserves last season, he made some fantastic scooting breaks from the wing but he was sometimes run down. He is a player who is better running at opponents rather than away from them. So light and fast (feet).

V Aus Schoolboys / v Barrow what impressed me at FB was how fast he was diagonally on those stereotypical 2nd man FB plays we see now.

I believe FB is his best position simply because the way the game has evolved wingers now deal with far more kicks than fullbacks. Cherry stated this IIRC.

Ryan King is a very interesting player to watch out for. Always struck me as a smart player and dedicated. He has superb speed. I may be wrong but he seems to have had a boost from a post 16 growth spurt.

I was hugely impressed by how speedy Josh Charnley looked. I have no information etc but to the naked eye he looks leaner and faster. Another player who I think has a fantastic attitude and a touch of confidence/belief al a Chris Ashton.

I cannot recall but it may have been Bridge who slipped that great offload for the best try v Barrow. Bridge has excellent skills. Just needs the right attitude for a forward. All forwards = Dogz of war!!

P.S Owen Farrell at 6 or Chris Tuson PM :wink:
More like Liam Farrel at 6 CP. :lol:
Chris Tuson has quietly impressed me. His no nonsense way of playing almost goes unnoticed, but he is a player who puts in 110% every time he plays, with very few mistakes.
In the first half against Barrow the team play stood out for me, the dummy runners, the backing up, the offloads, the effort put in to get over the try line.
From the video clips provided it was great to see a set of kids so young acheiving this.
Barrow, with the likes of Catic, Rooney, Thackray, Fletcher, Campbell etc, are a very good side to have turned over, moreso by our first half performance and the score difference.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but you can see a (slightly ropey) video of all the tries on North West Evening Mail's website. It's pretty simple to find although I couldn't get the video to work on my iPhone.

There's also a link on twitter.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I've just noticed that that the highlights have got their own thread. Ignore me!!! I'm not paying attention!!!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Kiwiseddon wrote:I've just noticed that that the highlights have got their own thread. Ignore me!!! I'm not paying attention!!!
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

:D
"K"