captaincy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
sexy kris

Re: captaincy

Post by sexy kris »

just give sean a chance there is avin an opinion den there is just bein nasty. e a gr8t player who has proved im self more dan enough over the past 2 or so years. even if he wuzn't related 2 faz e wud still be a key part ov r team e works hard and deserves every thing e gets :exc:
be loyal be loud be wigan be proud
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

O'Loughlin is IN the pack, he is instrumental to tries, he scores tries, he played in every match last season and every one of them a start( its true check it out.)He has had experience of captaining before for England A and did very well. But of course thats not consistancy.

Why would Dennis Betts Play him if he wasnt up to the job and why would he give him the captaincy? Only he knows what the lad is capable of! The only two players that come near Sean's consistancy are Danny Tickle and Gareth Hock and everyone praises them even though they came of the bench half of last season and I do remember a few incidents with knock ons and other handling incidents. Sure enough the lads will be much better this season but for now the best stand in for FAZ is without a doubt, Sean O'Loughlin! GIVE THE LAD A CHANCE !!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

I am not been nasty. My opinion and that of numerous Wigan supporters I know is that to us Sean still has a lot to prove. Why don't you take your own advice and get behind Danny Orr
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

I'm not saying he didn't start every game but as I said I saw most of the games last season and he only impressed me in one or two. I'm willing to give the lad a chance this year and if he wins Man Of Steel I can assure you I'll be the first fan on here to congratulate the boy!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

hayley 04 posted:
I'm not saying he didn't start every game but as I said I saw most of the games last season and he only impressed me in one or two. I'm willing to give the lad a chance this year and if he wins Man Of Steel I can assure you I'll be the first fan on here to congratulate the boy!
You must expect extremely high standards then. He impressed me on very many occassions last year. From these apparent high standards I take it you were ill-impressed by all of Danny Orrs performances?

I would say his record of starting every game was proof that Gregory and Betts think he's a quality player. Admittedly I didn't think he did quite as well at stand off and these are probably the games you weren't impressed by but being top tackler for the season consistently week in week out (to me) speaks volumes about his work rate.

As Wigan fans we are very much behind Danny Orr but you can't deny last season he had a bad time compared to how he played for Cas, I don't think he would disagree with that.
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

Yes my standards are high and so are Wigans!Danny Orr did struggle abit last year but please remember he had a terrible time with injuries and the wonderful Adrian Lam was missing too and as I said before he sometimes tries too hard but thats only coz he wants to do well for this club. I just thought as he was captain at Cas and did a good job for them that to give him captaincy here might just give him that extra confidence vote but it seem I opened a can of worms!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

hayley 04 posted:
Yes my standards are high and so are Wigans!Danny Orr did struggle abit last year but please remember he had a terrible time with injuries and the wonderful Adrian Lam was missing too and as I said before he sometimes tries too hard but thats only coz he wants to do well for this club. I just thought as he was captain at Cas and did a good job for them that to give him captaincy here might just give him that extra confidence vote but it seem I opened a can of worms!
Danny Orr earned it at Cas though, I don't feel he has done that yet at Wigan, he certainly has the potential to be top class, but he hasn't reached that level yet.

You say that Danny tried really hard, possibly too hard, do you not think that O'Loughlin has tried hard and done extremely well to achieve what he has done in the past season. Don't forget he has played in a range of positions too, centre, second row, stand off and loose forward.
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

hayley 04 posted:
he was out for seven weeks with an injury the rest of the season he was fine! i do like the bloke and he is a great player i just dont think he is captain material just yet, maybe in a year or two he can step in if a captain is needed.
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
laura b

Post by laura b »

Obviously a touchy subject lol. in my opinion (feel free to disagree) i dont think that it really matters who our captain is as long as he can motivate the players and keep spirts up at the lowest points in matches. i really dont think that experience is that important it may help but some of the younger players will take lead of farrell as he has benn a tremendous captain so they could be influenced by him.

hope this actually makes sense to someone lol :)
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

Yes he does try and I think all our boys try there best when pulling on that famous shirt but just at moment i don't think Sean is in the same class as Danny. But that is only my opinion and i'm not saying i'm right or wrong. But come the match when, to me, Sean is fantastic then i'll be the first person on this message board to congratulate him. There is no way i want to be seen as openly critisising any of my players because that's not what been a supporter is all about. Its just my own opinion and we all have our faves and are all impressed by different players!