Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Post by ian.birchall »

eccywarrior wrote:it is a crazy idea but think of money sam and club will make.
Its the Baa Baas, neither the players nor the clubs get paid, it's the 'honour' of being selected. B*llsh*t. :angry:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mike wrote:Maybe IL is setting us up to field an RU team in the near future?
Possibly, because if the RFL don't get their act together soon then it will be our only option!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The only thing i can think is that this was a done deal before the contract was signed.

IL is an idiot for letting this happen though, we have nothing to gain, nothing at all and everything to lose.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Johnone

Post by Johnone »

He will enjoy the game, will not be booed, & come back wih his head intact
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

Ridiculous is this getting Sam ready for next season , be interested to know what Waney , thinks .
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I'm disgusted with this. It must have been a clause in the contract prior to signing it. I fear that Sam is such a valuable commodity that his agent is just gonna take the p**s from now on.

If he gets injured, there is going to be hell to pay. I wil personally drive to IL's house and take a dump on the bonnet of his Bentley!!!!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Kiwiseddon wrote:I'm disgusted with this. It must have been a clause in the contract prior to signing it. I fear that Sam is such a valuable commodity that his agent is just gonna take the p**s from now on.

If he gets injured, there is going to be hell to pay. I wil personally drive to IL's house and take a dump on the bonnet of his Bentley!!!!
We have a new signing who could do this for you.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall wrote:
eccywarrior wrote:it is a crazy idea but think of money sam and club will make.
Its the Baa Baas, neither the players nor the clubs get paid, it's the 'honour' of being selected. B*llsh*t. :angry:
Is that still the case in the modern era? I think it is but I am not sure.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam To Star For Barbarians

Wigan Warriors are pleased to confirm that Wigan and England Full-Back, Sam Tomkins, has been selected to play in the forthcoming Barbarians Rugby Union Team against The Australian Wallabies at Twickenham on Saturday 26th November.

Sam becomes the first player ever to play in successive weeks against the Australian Kangaroos Rugby League Team and then against the Australian Wallabies Rugby Union Team.

Sam also becomes the first contracted Rugby League player to be selected for the Barbarians and will play at full-back in this prestigious meeting between two of the biggest names in the 15-a-side code.

The news comes just two weeks after Sam committed his long term future to Wigan Warriors and Rugby League by agreeing a new Five-Year Deal with the Challenge Cup Holders which includes a clause which pledges Sam to Rugby League for at least 3 years.

Speaking about the news, Wigan Warriors Chairman and Owner Ian Lenagan said:

"For Sam, Wigan and Rugby League to be recognised in this way by the other Rugby Code is indicative of the talent which Sam has and the growing recognition of the attractiveness and skill demonstrated consistently by Rugby League each week. It also shows the growing profile and respect shown to Rugby League and Wigan."

"The game itself is a great opportunity for Sam to play with and against some of the biggest International names in Union and will show Rugby Union fans what a tremendous talent he is.

"The Wigan Club was quick to give permission for Sam to play, a decision which fits well with previous Wigan creative initiatives in the Middlesex Sevens, the dual-code games against Bath Rugby Union and the recent Partnership announced with Saracens."

Sam will link up with the Barbarians squad on Tuesday for the game on Saturday before taking a well-earned break. He will then rejoin his Wigan Warriors team-mates in Florida in December to prepare for the 2012 season.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

RFL CEO On Sam's Selection

RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood believes the selection of Sam Tomkins by the rugby union Barbarians testifies to Rugby League's proud track record of developing skilful, world class athletes.

Tomkins, the Wigan Warriors and England full-back, will play for the Barbarians against the Wallabies at Twickenham next Saturday, just a week after representing England against Australia in the final of 2011 Gillette Four Nations.

His selection was agreed between the Barbarians and his Super League club Wigan, with whom he signed an extended five-year contract earlier this month.

"I'm sure Sam will be successful on Saturday when he plays his first match in an unfamiliar code because he's a hugely talented Rugby League player, one of many our sport is producing," said Wood.

"Rugby League has an outstanding track record in developing its own players and is continuing to show union the way ahead. Sam's inclusion in a sport he knows little about is proof of that

"You only have to look at how often union has turned to Rugby League players and coaches over the last 15 years to see the calibre of talent we have in our midst.

"It's obvious to even the most casual of observers why union continues to covet Rugby League players whose sheer athleticism and outstanding skills with ball in hand make them extremely attractive to the other code of rugby.

"Sam's selection underlines that imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery. Both Sam and Rugby League should feel flattered."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan