Who will replace Faz

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The Black Pearl

Re: Who will replace Faz

Post by The Black Pearl »

I agree with Morley he would be a great signing as would Sonny Bill Williams. Lets secure their services for the future and prey that we don't become an NFP team in the meantime
Pain is temporary pride is forever
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Didnt morley want to come back to england? Hmmm him and sonny bill sound good but can you think of any olod aussies who are coming to the end of their career who mo may prefer?
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

Mrs Carney I'm sure Maurice will be out there scouting some of the best over 35's talent still knocking about in the Aussie Country leagues and then try and fob the loyal fans who he must think no nowt about Rugby ( Like Him ) off with some bull about what a great signing they are for Wigan. You bet your life on it!
Pain is temporary pride is forever
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

But we dont know anything about rugby! Are you trying to tell me the players he brings over arent as wonderful as he says!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

The Black Pearl posted:
I agree with Morley he would be a great signing as would Sonny Bill Williams. Lets secure their services for the future and prey that we don't become an NFP team in the meantime
I thought according to you that SBW was a done deal and you were reliably informed by your mate.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

gab0512 posted:
Welski posted:
DaveO posted: I agree Dave but as I've said before I would guess it was by mutual consent. Still only time will tell mate.

There is a big difference between a person honouring his contract i.e. staying until the last day of the contract period, and actually being happy whilst doing so!!

The problem we would have then - and is seriously debateable is this: -

Given that he will complete the timings of his contract. How do you judge his commitment on the playing side and whether he has 'honoured' that part of the contract? The contract must basically say we employ you to play RL for Wigan until end of 2006, for which we will pay you £xxxxx. What it won't say is "We will only pay you if you meet our playing standards".

The only reason we have such a debate is because of the high standards Faz has achieved over the years. Be honest DaveO (and others) - have you ever lost sleep when a player never made the grade, and the club cancelled his contract or sold him on? Did any of us care how that person would pay his bills and keep his family? I seriously doubt it. If the club can do it, and we don't object because the player wasn't quality, then we should accept the fact it can happen the other way!
The only contracts cancelled by the club are those where there is a situation like Davico or Nigel Wright.

Players have moved on from Wigan but for top players it tends to be at the end of their contract such as Hanley about which there can be no complaints as they have met their side of the bargain.

Lesser players may move on if they can't get into the team if they request a move. In fact Wigan have done this quite often over the years. For example Daryl Cardiss couldn't get a game and went under these circumstances and there have been others.

However Cardiss and the like were not the firct choice in their positions. They were not the captain of the team. They hadn't been recently recognised as man of steel etc.

Had they been they would have been first choice and would not have been requesting a move.

The Farrell situation is completely the opposite. He IS all those things and as Fraggle pointed out was happy to sign a six year deal. He is at his peak as a forward not some old has been.

To speculate he would not perform if held to his contract does him a bit of an injustice IMO.

He is a professional player and I would expect him to play like one were he held to the deal. I am pretty sure he would as well.

If everytime a player expressed unhappiness at Wigan we sold him we would be selling players regularly as I am sure just like in an any job players go through periods of being less than enamoured with what is going on.

O'Connor has since leaving the club come out and said he wasn't happy for the past two years. I didn't detect a problem in his play last season or the season before and we are certainly missing him at the moment IMO.

O'Connor didn't request a move despite this unhappiness and saw his deal out. That is what being professional means IMO.

But we don't even know if Farrell is unhappy at all. As Fraggle said again he seemed perfectly happy to a month or so ago and happy to go to Florida with the team.

IMO he has been "got at" and tempted by something that wasn't on the cards a short time ago.

Here is what Lindsay said when Farrell had to thave the operation. It is a direct quote:

"Andy Farrell is irreplaceable and with the restrictions of the rule limiting squads to 20 players, it means we will already be drafting teenagers into our squad before we even kick off."

Now if he thinks AF is irreplaceable WTF has he been doing letting it get to this stage?

He should have snuffed it out before it got started whicj is what I and several others think he should have done as chairman of the club.

Dave
heydude

Post by heydude »

thegimble posted:

We did didnt we ?

His first post and he has just pit most of us in our place. EXACTLY

Well done mate.
thank you for the compliment the gimble and to the rest of you i think we are hoping who we can get which is no-one until next season, just consider that if we get into the top four or the play offs it's a bonus this year and started looking ahead to next season, i know i sound too negative (which i don't want to) but just trying to be realistic.(hoping i am prove wrong we get to the grand final and win it).
don't eat yellow snow
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pricey posted:
heydude posted:
:cool: Thing is no SL club or NRL club are going to release a top quality player at this stage of the season for whatever money is offered,the other thing to consider is not just a top quality player but one with great leadership qualities which (no disrespect to radlinski but) we seem to be lacking at the moment without farrell.
We did didnt we ?
It does not follow any other club would be as stupid though does it?

Saints to release Sculthorpe? Yeah right!

The other snag with the "We did didn't we argument" is a disctinct lack of comparable players anywhere else in SL.

Dave
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

mrs_carney posted:
:conf:
Sorry I didnt have chance to read everything, I was a bit busy and just scan read most of it, I must have missed yours. At least we agree! :)
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

heydude posted:
thegimble posted:

We did didnt we ?

His first post and he has just pit most of us in our place. EXACTLY

Well done mate.
thank you for the compliment the gimble and to the rest of you i think we are hoping who we can get which is no-one until next season, just consider that if we get into the top four or the play offs it's a bonus this year and started looking ahead to next season, i know i sound too negative (which i don't want to) but just trying to be realistic.(hoping i am prove wrong we get to the grand final and win it).
Im the same but you know in a couple of years we will dominate again. In no small partly due to the Youth system.