Hock Joins Widnes Vikings on Season Loan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Hock Joins Widnes Vikings on Season Loan

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

thomo wrote:Whatever has happened has now gone - Gaz Hock will not play for Wigan in season that starts in less than 2 weeks:

We have a massive hole in the second row/pack to fill and a massive chunk of salary cap available (if his contract was renewed twice he must be on some big money)

We now need a new second rower - a big strong enforcer type of player and we need it asap - cos Farrel & Tuson along with HH are not threatening the opposition.

Need to get someone in asap
We've got one, his name is Hughes - unfortunately we are trying despearately to turn him into a centre!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
thomo wrote:Whatever has happened has now gone - Gaz Hock will not play for Wigan in season that starts in less than 2 weeks:

We have a massive hole in the second row/pack to fill and a massive chunk of salary cap available (if his contract was renewed twice he must be on some big money)

We now need a new second rower - a big strong enforcer type of player and we need it asap - cos Farrel & Tuson along with HH are not threatening the opposition.

Need to get someone in asap
We've got one, his name is Hughes - unfortunately we are trying despearately to turn him into a centre!
Agreed. He looks the part in the back row. We need to buy a centre not a back row. Hughes isn't comfortable at centre.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Unless you are a party to it all, everything is just gossip, no matter who it comes from. Players in the past have been known to throw a few dummies to interested fans just to see if what they say appears on forums like this.

Hock has gone, it's a shame but the club lives on and don't forget, IL is as much a fan as anyone.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

i'm spartacus wrote:The old adage is that one tale is good until the other one is told. I have come across innumerable employees' who have told me that their employers' are bad people, no morals, rip them off, refused to carry out some duty or other, etc etc. The fact remains that there are always two sides to every story, and the other side are always just as convinced that they are in 'the right'.
That is very true and I can see Hock gradually getting disgruntled as various demands were not met to his satisfaction. That doesn't mean he was right to make them and equally it doesn't mean Wigan were always in the right either.

"One tale is good until the other one is told" is very apt here.
For me there are a number of facts that I think we can all agree on, and for these reasons I can see why the club considers it has gone far enough.

1.Hock got banned for drugs and Wigan threw him a bone.
2. A short while after his comeback he got banned for gouging.
3.Since his comeback he has managed to run up a very high penalty count and get sent off.
4. He is always a prime candidate to get himself into bother.
I'd add to that the fact he seemingly wanted away after a short time despite the faith shown with a five year deal.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

As an aside to all the rights and wrongs of it this saga proves one thing.

Contracts ARE worth the paper they are written on.

Hock even tried to get sacked to get out of his and failed.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:As an aside to all the rights and wrongs of it this saga proves one thing.

And you were the one always denouncing contracts as worthless! :conf:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:As an aside to all the rights and wrongs of it this saga proves one thing.

Yes and no. Wigan tried to get what they considered his value and failed. Hence the loan.
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

well his house is back up for rent so he's got out of dodge quick
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:

And you were the one always denouncing contracts as worthless! :conf:
Err no, I was the one who was arguing they weren't and could be enforced if the club wished.

In the face of numerous posts saying they were unenforceable each time a player left early when I was saying the club should have kept them to their deal.

Why do you think I mentioned it!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:

Yes and no. Wigan tried to get what they considered his value and failed. Hence the loan.
Depends which way you look at it. Wigan asked for a certain fee, it wasn't forthcoming, Hock remained on Wigan's books.

The loan does as is said in the press release in that it stops him playing for our main rivals and against us.

If contracts were worthless Hock would have secured his full release from Wigan which he has not done.