Long to quit Salford & take role with Wigan U19's

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wes

Re: Long to quit Salford & take role with Wigan U19's

Post by Wes »

Long is a character, people don't like him because he was/is a winner.
If people knew half the things players and clubs got upto in down time we would hate them all, ask Tony H he was in the army and played/plays rugby, it's to be taken with a pinch of salt the antics some players get upto.

Long offers great experience and knowledge and I for one would be happy to see him at the club especially if he will be working with Matty again.

Just hope Iestyn chooses to stay instead of taking up a role with Noble as I really rate him and TBH think he would be a great replacement for Wane whenever/if that day comes.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

KOOCH wrote:
Matthew wrote:Don't want him here
That's like saying we would not have Farrel or Edwards back because they took union money.
It is not remotely like that at all. Farrell and Edwards were ultimate pros and of obvious good character. Long was the exact opposite. He was ccaught betting against his own club and has more in common with Gleeson than Farrell or Edwards.
He was a quality player despite his history.And I do feel that it's because he has past history and was also a stains player that it blinds people as to his ability as a player.But then again so was Gary Connelly but we took him because he was class.Try not to be blinded by Longs past history and think about what he can bring to the club. :D
His ability as a player is not in question. His character is. And God knows what signing Connolly has to so with it. He was a player not someone to trust the young players with.

I am certain everyone on this board had negative opinions of Long and not because he was a thorn in our side on the pitch. Now he might be coming here all is forgiven?

Unbelievable.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:Everyone deserves a second chance!
Are you assuming he will be found guilty at his trial on June 12th 2013 for assault?

Long has consistently shown himself over the years to be an idiot off the field. Why are you prepared to be charitable towards him at the risk of such a bad influence being in charge of our young players?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Everyone deserves a second chance!
Are you assuming he will be found guilty at his trial on June 12th 2013 for assault?

Long has consistently shown himself over the years to be an idiot off the field. Why are you prepared to be charitable towards him at the risk of such a bad influence being in charge of our young players?
I didn't know about any trial!

I was just thinking about his playing abilities, & assumed, wrongly it seems, that he hasn't changed & grown up since his younger days.

Sorry to seem to be 'charitable' towards what was a good player even tho he plagued the life out Wigan Warriors.

And as I said in an earlier post, if he does come here, but have heard since it is just a rumour at the moment, I'm sure Shaun Wane & Kris Radlinski wouldn't allow him to break any of the ethics they are trying to instil into all of our players.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

After what he did at the time Wigan got rid of him, I for one would be very disappointed if the club were to re-employ him, irrespective of his ability as a player and as for coaching, I have seen nothing to convince me that he would be any better than what we have got already.

Some of us have a sense of morals!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:After what he did at the time Wigan got rid of him, I for one would be very disappointed if the club were to re-employ him, irrespective of his ability as a player and as for coaching, I have seen nothing to convince me that he would be any better than what we have got already.

I dearly hope you aren't saying I haven't :exc:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:After what he did at the time Wigan got rid of him, I for one would be very disappointed if the club were to re-employ him, irrespective of his ability as a player and as for coaching, I have seen nothing to convince me that he would be any better than what we have got already.

Unless you know otherwise IIRC he had to have a knee reconstruction and returned heavily strapped around the knee. Wigan thought he would never be the same player as he was pre op and he was given virtually scot free to Widnes where his knee healed and the rest is history. IIRC we got Lee Hansen, Widnes got Long.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

DaveO wrote:
KOOCH wrote:
Matthew wrote:Don't want him here
That's like saying we would not have Farrel or Edwards back because they took union money.
It is not remotely like that at all. Farrell and Edwards were ultimate pros and of obvious good character. Long was the exact opposite. He was ccaught betting against his own club and has more in common with Gleeson than Farrell or Edwards.
He was a quality player despite his history.And I do feel that it's because he has past history and was also a stains player that it blinds people as to his ability as a player.But then again so was Gary Connelly but we took him because he was class.Try not to be blinded by Longs past history and think about what he can bring to the club. :D
His ability as a player is not in question. His character is. And God knows what signing Connolly has to so with it. He was a player not someone to trust the young players with.

I am certain everyone on this board had negative opinions of Long and not because he was a thorn in our side on the pitch. Now he might be coming here all is forgiven?

Unbelievable.
So what do you intend doing about it if he does come to the club? Or do you voice an opinion as I have done? I along with most right minded folk did not condone what he did.But nothing you or I say or do will change the fact that he may be joining our club.It beggars belief how many god fearing folk peruse the pages of this site.As for using Gary as an example it was simply that an example.Just because he played for the stains some Wigan supporters cried foul.At no time did I imply any wrong doing as regards him.If you do not want Long for his ability as a player and coach then please do use your influence to change the clubs intent to bring him here.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Don't like him as a person and think that he would be a bad influence on young players. Do we really want young impressionable lads around a guy like him? I always wondered if Eastmond's swagger was a direct result from being around Long.

He's proved time and again that he hasn't changed - as his aforementioned court case proves.

I can't believe that he is the best youth coach available to us.

And has been said, this is nothing like Edwards or Farrell returning to Wigan. They were both legends for the club and remain supporters (attending games etc). Long left Wigan (for whatever reason) and played for our main rivals for most of his playing career. I remember him saying that we'd approached him to play for us when we were facing relegation and how funny he thought it was. If he came here it would be purely because we could probably pay him more than he'd get elsewhere - if it had been anyone other than Noble taking over at Salford, I am sure he would have stayed with them.

If he wants to coach a youth side - try saints.

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Matthew wrote:
If he wants to coach a youth side - try saints.
Someone has posted that he has agreed to join them. Leading others to hope he might put on a shirt for the rest of the season!!