New player

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: New player

Post by cpwigan »

The problem with ANY Union convert is they do not RL know how ingrained in their brain/minds. Somebody like Greg Burke can make their debut and look like they have been playing League forever, because they have, you cannot ingrain a decade+ of League into a convert.
Wes

Post by Wes »

cpwigan wrote:The problem with ANY Union convert is they do not RL know how ingrained in their brain/minds. Somebody like Greg Burke can make their debut and look like they have been playing League forever, because they have, you cannot ingrain a decade+ of League into a convert.
I agree with your point but players don't always have to have that, Flower and Dudson look no different to Crosby or Prescott, some could argue the former to be the better. J Davis made it look seemless.

Faasavalu has hopped over from union to league back to union, Hape made the switch late on and made it happen.

Certain players can be more athletic and hack it in a lot of sports, SBW comes to mind.

I am not saying Powell will be great but he has good attributes to give it a go, I believe he'll turn out to be good but it also strengthens our link into looking for welsh talent.

He can be used sparingly to give the kids a break and to cover for injuries he doesn't have to play every game.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think Wes it has always been the case it was easier to convert as a back than a forward. Today, even converting as a back is more difficult bar wing.

For most games particularly easy ones, and even large parts of important games players without extensive league know how are fine but when it comes to the highest level they often get found out in ways we as fans do not even notice, seemingly simple things like correct spacing in the line. Sometimes if you have to think what you are doing you are too late. To me that is why Australia are always successful, their players are playing something that is instinctive.

It is instinctive to Lockers, Burke, Farrell, Tomkins in the same way. Small margins make a big difference.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Instincts are a natural ability not to any one sport, I agree it's hard to make the switch but surely you agree it is possible, added to that Powell has some qualities that could lend themselves to our game.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:I think Wes it has always been the case it was easier to convert as a back than a forward. Today, even converting as a back is more difficult bar wing.

For most games particularly easy ones, and even large parts of important games players without extensive league know how are fine but when it comes to the highest level they often get found out in ways we as fans do not even notice, seemingly simple things like correct spacing in the line. Sometimes if you have to think what you are doing you are too late. To me that is why Australia are always successful, their players are playing something that is instinctive.

It is instinctive to Lockers, Burke, Farrell, Tomkins in the same way. Small margins make a big difference.
Sight difference is that for a union prop to convert to a league prop at the age of 31 i would say is impossible but props in union and league have a different needs in the game. Prop in league tend to be the players who gets through most of the work in a game which the back-row in union do. That is the reason i think this can work. Powell played union more like a league prop than even a backrow did. Wish he had come over 2 years ago but i do think he will go well next season, which is when we do need another prop.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I hope he does Gimble and in some respects it is quite exciting to see how he fares. As you say, non union props tends to be better League props than like for like. The likes of Quinell and Perrelini prove that compared to say Stuart Evans. However, I still maintain that in big titantic tusle games a union convert s more prone to making costly mistakes. The flip sie being that even Leaguies can make bad errors.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I cant take my eyes off his mouth when he speaks. His jaw must hurt
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Does anyone on this board watch RU? Have you seen Powell play?
Where is this myth that players in Union are so unfit coming from?
Yes, there are different aspects in Union and League conditioning because of the nature of the sports but I have no worries about Powell's shape. He is a very fit athlete and is likely to become both an effective prop for us and a cult figure.

As for his "misdemeanours", he has had a couple of high profile incidents that amounted to not very much at all (especially by League standards) and is actually a genuine character always popular with fans and players everywhere he has been.

His signing sends out a great message and will hopefully reopen the gangway between the two codes. Well done Ian Lenegan.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Conditioning is not an issue anymore BUT trying to learn how to play League at 31 is a major one Dai and I do not mean different rules etc. It is the unwritten stuff that is second nature to many League players even then it is not easy. Look at Scott Taylor even he is having to learn things and he is an England Knights prop.

If we are signing Powell as a gimmick then that is wrong IMO. I do not care where he is from or what sport. I do not think he is a turning point in the gangway either. If we were signing someone like Wade that would be a turning point.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

He's our player now in the 38 shirt so let's give the lad a chance.

And let's not forget, Tuigemala didn't set the world on fire straight away yet many of us would put him in our top 5 favourite wingers!