Tomkins saga over as he signs for the NZW

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Kittwazzer

Re: Tomkins saga over as he signs for the NZW

Post by Kittwazzer »

Morph wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
Morph wrote: As I've said elsewhere, those days have gone. The clubs that 'all talented players aspire to play for' are all down under.

We have to move with the times and manage the situation as best we can. So far, I'd say we are well ahead of the pack!
Perhaps so Kitt, We are ahead of the pack but this constant moving on of our best players and the ones we have developed, i.e. Sam, Mossop, etc is not sustainable imo and I like a few others on here suspect we won't be ahead of the pack for many more years.
That's the case if Wigan is the only club targeted. It won't be. All youngsters will be under scrutiny. We have a production line which will produce far more players than we can accommodate. Aren't we running a 10 week course looking for the best 14 year olds in the region. Central Park is a revelation.

Personally, I'd like to see the entire NRL staffed with Poms. Might give us a chance at international level because we could use a leg up! :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Morph wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: Perhaps so Kitt, We are ahead of the pack but this constant moving on of our best players and the ones we have developed, i.e. Sam, Mossop, etc is not sustainable imo and I like a few others on here suspect we won't be ahead of the pack for many more years.
That's the case if Wigan is the only club targeted. It won't be. All youngsters will be under scrutiny. We have a production line which will produce far more players than we can accommodate. Aren't we running a 10 week course looking for the best 14 year olds in the region. Central Park is a revelation.
It might be but what is the point? The idea we can slot in the next Sam T or next Mossop when the original goes to the NRL because we have a production line just doesn't wash.

We have had a top junior set up for years and plenty have graduated to the first team such as Hansen and Lockers but part of the reason we have been successful is because they stuck around. Had they been targeted and left after three or four years in the first team I doubt we would.

Sam came into a Wigan side full of experienced players and that kind of thing is also why we have been successful.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If only it was as simple as a conveyor belt. We have always had great young talents BUT if you fail to show dare I say it Duty of Care it can and does go pearshaped. Remember, albeit in a declining SL, our standard is to be winning SL or a CC.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

cpwigan wrote:If only it was as simple as a conveyor belt. We have always had great young talents BUT if you fail to show dare I say it Duty of Care it can and does go pearshaped. Remember, albeit in a declining SL, our standard is to be winning SL or a CC.
And as we've seen tonight winning either is not going to be s cake walk. Josie mentions not renewing her st, I think if she clarified with the comment that it's due to the contemptuos treatment of the fans it would be a closed book!
I'm rather disgusted with whats going on and after some of the dross we've had to put up with in the Noble era and worse previous, the light could again only be flickering at the end of the tunnel for big prizes.
I seriously doubt IL has the same aspirations for the club as I have!
Yes it's his money but cut the bull**** and stop looking like a right prat, it's wearing very thin now!!
BTW why get involved with any announcement if not to make the bull**** pile bigger?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Morph wrote:I think after Sam being interviewed tonight, it's pretty nailed on that he is going.
Yes that was my take on the interview too.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
Morph wrote:I think after Sam being interviewed tonight, it's pretty nailed on that he is going.
Yes that was my take on the interview too.
Mine too.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wandering Warrior wrote: I seriously doubt IL has the same aspirations for the club as I have!
He's supported the club all his life but I get the impression having him as chairman is about as useful as you or me doing it i.e. none of us IL included either have enough dosh or are prepared to make enough available.

He seems to be running the club as a going concern that must pay its own way. This is often put forward as a good thing. Well this is what you get if you do, one eye on the transfer value of your best players.

It's as if he sees losing the likes of Sam of little consequence because he thinks we can still win things without him. Some people will be happy with this but I won't be one. There is real pleasure in watching quality players ply their trade. If all that matters is winning the CC and GF despite a lower standard all round the sport is in trouble.

NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

Can someone please enlighten me? Forgive me for my naivety, but what is IL worth? What other businesses does he own? I'm aware he has ties with Oxford United football club. I'm aware he had/has ties with the Broncoes.
The question is, is IL on the same financial level as Mr Moran at Wire, as the Doc at Salford? Pearson at Hull?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

NeeNawWarrior22 wrote:Can someone please enlighten me? Forgive me for my naivety, but what is IL worth? What other businesses does he own? I'm aware he has ties with Oxford United football club. I'm aware he had/has ties with the Broncoes.
The question is, is IL on the same financial level as Mr Moran at Wire, as the Doc at Salford? Pearson at Hull?
I don't really know how wealthy the others are but a little digging shows IL is not wealthy enough to be chucking money at the club like say Whelan would. He sold his software company a while back. He got £19m for that.

In contrast in 2007 DW sold his remaining shares in JJB for £190m.

He owns 1% of Sports Cafe which is not a huge business anyway and he produces West End shows of all things. He has other business interests but I don't think he has the odd few million to chuck at the club as and when.

cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

DaveO wrote:
NeeNawWarrior22 wrote:Can someone please enlighten me? Forgive me for my naivety, but what is IL worth? What other businesses does he own? I'm aware he has ties with Oxford United football club. I'm aware he had/has ties with the Broncoes.
I don't really know how wealthy the others are but a little digging shows IL is not wealthy enough to be chucking money at the club like say Whelan would. He sold his software company a while back. He got £19m for that.

In contrast in 2007 DW sold his remaining shares in JJB for £190m.

He owns 1% of Sports Cafe which is not a huge business anyway and he produces West End shows of all things. He has other business interests but I don't think he has the odd few million to chuck at the club as and when.

In the top 1000 rich list he about 650th with just over 30 million