Thornley or Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: Thornley or Gelling

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:Thought Thornley was poor in the first half today but fine in the 2nd half today. He showed decent mental strength recovering from his early handling errors. He needs to keep working on his footwork and evasion skills.

Thornley or Gelling will be a big ? at Wembley
One thing that stood out today was Thornley carries the ball in two hands more than Gelling, which helps Pat and helped his try too. Could be a big call.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shouuld have stuck with Gelling, Thornley were crap IMO
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

markill wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Thought Thornley was poor in the first half today but fine in the 2nd half today. He showed decent mental strength recovering from his early handling errors. He needs to keep working on his footwork and evasion skills.

Thornley or Gelling will be a big ? at Wembley
One thing that stood out today was Thornley carries the ball in two hands more than Gelling, which helps Pat and helped his try too. Could be a big call.
Pat certainly scored more tried. Both need to be given opportunities before the final. The old guy :) at right centre showed them both how to play centre. I was not impressed by Sarginson as a centre today nor Rodrhi who IMO is a back rower not a centre either albeit both were in a very poor team.
mario

Post by mario »

Thornley by a mile
markill

Post by markill »

I'm not sure Lloyd will have a future at Super League level if he keeps playing centre unfortunately
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cherry.pie wrote:
markill wrote:I'm not sure Lloyd will have a future at Super League level if he keeps playing centre unfortunately
He was excellent for the under 20's last year when playing at left side second row. The lines he was running were excellent and he was scoring plenty of tries because of it.
He's got a good pass on him too but his centres instincts seem almost non-existent. It shows the difference between centres in league and union as I'm pretty sure inside centre or fly half were the positions he played as a youngster in the other code.
I agree, Lloyd was superb last season in the back row, I think he could make a loose forward. Thornley can't afford to keep making those handling errors, and for me Gelling is just in front of him. Regarding centres coming through, do you not rate Oliver Gildhart?
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

For me gelling is better but pat got more opportunities yesterday, so if gelling would be better at knowing when to pass this wouldn't even be a question need answering
El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

cherry.pie wrote:I thought Thornley was poor and probably failed to take his chance to oust Gelling. His handling errors were poor and he looked a bit slow, even against Lloyd who wasn't good at all. In fact Lloyd doesn't look anything like a centre.
To be fair Gelling is probably more error prone but seems more athletically gifted. Thornley appears to a bit more savvy upstairs.
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Thornley needs a kick up the backside. He has so much going for him BUT he needs to find that bit extra that turns and decent player into a very good one. His footwork / evasion skills and 5 yard speed are areas that will make or break him. He needs to bend his back more in defence or monster opponents.

The potential is there and he is an intelligent young man. He just needs to show he wants RL as if his life depended upon it.
magsnmeg

gelling or thornley??

Post by magsnmeg »

hi-we are new to the forum and just wondering what peoples opinion are on the Gelling/Thornley position-can't understand why Gelling is playing ahead of Thornley-just wondered what peoples thoughts are??