v Hudds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: v Hudds

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:I think we were out-coached. We set off fast for 20 mins and Hudds knew we would. They were patient, put the subs on and we ran out of steam.

I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

Whether decisions going against us knocked the confidence or not I don't know but I don't think we played a smart game against what we knew was a full strength Hudds side.
I think you are giving far too much credit to Anderson and his subs when for me the clear game changer was Thaler on the 20 minute mark, this coincided with the introduction of Hudds subs and they got on a roll.
Well the refs decision happening then may have been fortunate for Hudds but I think his plan was clear to see regardless of that.
We were in full control and should have had a scrum on half way which at that point probably would have made it 18-0 ball in hand again making their subs less of a threat without the ball.
Maybe so but I think Anderson deserves some credit.
I agree however we were dumb at times and could have played much better.
Wane and the boys should be fed up about the loss. Had we played Hudds a week after MM and beating Leeds maybe a loss would have been expected but after last week and it being back to being business as usual I expected better and I think Wane will have as well.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

It is no use making excuses that Thaler cost us the game because he didnt.Yes he was poor but so was our performance.Lockers and Bowen clearly unfit and it was a bridge too far for some of our younger players.They have been superb for the last 3 weeks but inexperience showed last night.We will recover from this defeat and if anything it will have done us good.Castleford will feel the backlash next week.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

We lost the game because we played players who were not fully fit, allowed yet again, Danny Brough to run the game and also allowed yet again, bad decisions by a Referee to get to us and lose concentration.

Watching the performance of Thalor last night was like watching a repeat of the C.C. Semi final in 2012 when he also made bad decisions in that game which also got to us and which by coincidence was also at Huddersfield.

We also made a mistake in allowing the only other squad hooker in Logan Tomkins to go on a season's loan to Salford as Williams is not a hooker. Lunt had a field day when he came on against him and it was only when he was replaced by Hampshire with Powell moving to hooker that we again looked a bit better.

As for Ferres, I am amazed that some have only just discovered that apart from being a good player, he is also a dirty one.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Hope we get them in the play offs when we'll be peaking.

We'll hammer them.

Going back to last night, I thought McIllorum was a big miss. Would have given more steel at times when we were being pushed back. I'm sure he'd have nailed Ferres as well :D
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
GBH

Post by GBH »

mickw wrote:
old hooker wrote: It is no use making excuses that Thaler cost us the game because he didnt.Yes he was poor but so was our performance.Lockers and Bowen clearly unfit and it was a bridge too far for some of our younger players.They have been superb for the last 3 weeks but inexperience showed last night.We will recover from this defeat and if anything it will have done us good.Castleford will feel the backlash next week.
if thaler is appointed to the match next week I won't be attending and I've watched us getting on for40years that's how corrupt I feel the game is.
Said exactly the same thing last night and there were quite a few others of the same opinion, absolutely bias reffing that game was under control till he started one mistake after another.
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

You can only account for a poor ref by playing it out of their hands.

take the phantom knock on - that didn't give them their try, our defence didn't muscle up enough to prevent them.

I think there was an element of getting through the game last night an opinion ive felt stronger about since I see Shaun Wane didn't seem overly "upset" with the defeat. I think it was a chance to give Lockers and Bowen (both far from fit) a run out and some of the young lads got some more experience.

We played with no intensity last night and I cannot believe that it is purely coincidence given we have a massive cup game next week.

The was no line speed in fact they adopted the same woeful intensity that lost us the first match with Huddersfield, watching the previous two games our line was flying up, last night they took one step forward and waited for the player to run onto them which is suicide in defence because you are almost certain to lose the collision.

Like I said im not worried about last night, we were poor, the ref was poor. The fact that we were actually only 1 try behind a full hudds team with almost an entire team of first team players out and the ones that were in at 25% would be more worrying for me as a Huddersfield fan.

I think this will have done the young guns some good some got caught out last night and better in this game for them to get it right for the more important games.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

The game at referee level is at a all time low and it is hardly surprising that crowds are declining for many games when a result is being determined by the decisions of match officials.

But what can you do when the powers that be at Red Hall will not accept that something is wrong and take draconian steps to rectify a bad situation and just go along thinking that people will accept anything.

I have supported the game for over forty years and I have never seen so many poor match officials that we now have in the game today.

The man to blame is Stuart Cummings who in the time he held the position of controller of referees, he did nothing to improve the standard, which is hardly surprising when he was no better himself as a Referee.

What the RFL need to do is appoint a neutral Australian over the Referees like we used to have in Greg McCallum and who did improve the standard at the time he was in charge.

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

It's tough, but happens. Both Huddersfields first two tries came off the back of free field position from incorrect reffing. I don't really have any issue with them. Refs make mistakes and we don't complain we we get the rub of the green. It can change the momentum of a game, but champion sides can absorb it.

What I do have issue with is the inconsistent taking of advice. When Brough kicked the ball out on the full, it wasn't and the Ref changed his mind after the video clearly showed it bounce in field. Why then, not check for non existent knock-ons? Or Bateman being taken off the ball?

The little things add up.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Not a good performance but not terrible either. Games like these are really just full contact training sessions.

As for the officials, how Hicks is ever let anywhere near a rugby pitch is beyond me.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The standard of officiating has gone down. I presume the RFL are cutting corners and not developing quality match officials.

We should and could have still won that match, perhaps asking just too much.

The value of Green was shown laast night IMO