Joe Burgess on the MEN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Re: Joe Burgess on the MEN

Post by ddtftf »

In the interests of the supporters its time for the chairman to come out and tell the fans the truth, rather than hide them until the season tickets have sold. You pay for a product in value but if the value is diluted by players leaving then the judgment of buying a season ticket should be weighed up before purchasing. I for one am becoming fed up of seeing our best assets sold for cold cash without a thought for the people putting money into the club. Our spectators are going down and this is a very important to IL that the tide is turning, you have to speculate to accumulate
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

All this because of a story in the local rag about a Aussie club being interested in him which is hardly surprising as it happens at the end of every season.

What surprises me is that it is only one club from the NRL and Union.

And where has Burgess himself has said that he is leaving?
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

[quote="Whelley Warrior"]All this because of a story in the local rag about a Aussie club being interested in him which is hardly surprising as it happens at the end of every season.

And where has Burgess himself has said that he is leaving?[/quote]

You know this is more than a story in a local rag.

And where did Sam Tomkins himself say he is leaving. In fact he denied it.
And please don't come back with the doom and gloom brigade garbage. I am as posertive as anyone.I pay for 5 season tickets every year so think i am intitled to have a bit of a rant. Just think ploughing all the money we are into our youth system only to see it as a production line for NRL is worrying.
:(
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:All this because of a story in the local rag about a Aussie club being interested in him which is hardly surprising as it happens at the end of every season.

And please don't come back with the doom and gloom brigade garbage. I am as posertive as anyone.I pay for 5 season tickets every year so think i am intitled to have a bit of a rant. Just think ploughing all the money we are into our youth system only to see it as a production line for NRL is worrying.
The same happened last year in regard to Ryan Hall at the end of last season and that resulted in him getting a improved contract.

As for Burgess, it could be a case of his agent also looking to get him a improved contract with the club, bearing in mind that he came out of the Academy and as a Rookie would be on a lower contract until he prove that he was good enough to play at first team level which he has done.

Putting it about that other clubs are interested in a player is now a normal practice of agents these days to obtain better contracts for their clients!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Whelley Warrior wrote:All this because of a story in the local rag about a Aussie club being interested in him which is hardly surprising as it happens at the end of every season.

And where has Burgess himself has said that he is leaving?
It's all over twitter, including tweets to him, to which he hasn't denied!
New technology is very informative!!
Btw, as I said earlier, Leeds, wire and saints don't lose players like we do, have you got the answer to that question I asked you?
Thought not!?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:

The same happened last year in regard to Ryan Hall at the end of last season and that resulted in him getting a improved contract.

As for Burgess, it could be a case of his agent also looking to get him a improved contract with the club, bearing in mind that he came out of the Academy and as a Rookie would be on a lower contract until he prove that he was good enough to play at first team level which he has done.

Putting it about that other clubs are interested in a player is now a normal practice of agents these days to obtain better contracts for their clients!
Could well be agent mischief But club has done nothing to dispell these reports Does that not worry you.But Hope your 100% right WW
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Said it before and will say it again, we lose more players because we have had and will continually have better players that can cut it in the NRL compared to Leeds, Wire and Stains.

That doesn't make it acceptable but it makes it more difficult to keep hold of players that WANT to try their luck in the NRL.

Maybe Ryan Hall etc didn't actually want to leave England just like Mickey Mac didn't.

Got to remember it is not just the club that allows players to go the player has to actually want to go.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Said it before and will say it again, we lose more players because we have had and will continually have better players that can cut it in the NRL compared to Leeds, Wire and Stains.
I don't think that is true. All three of those have some very good young players but somehow they are off the radar of the Aussie clubs.
That doesn't make it acceptable but it makes it more difficult to keep hold of players that WANT to try their luck in the NRL.

Maybe Ryan Hall etc didn't actually want to leave England just like Mickey Mac didn't.

Got to remember it is not just the club that allows players to go the player has to actually want to go.
That is true. Not everyone wants to go and live in Oz or NZ despite the big money on offer.

However while it's true some players don't want to live abroad you have to ask how do Leeds in particular make it easier for themselves to keep hold of their players generally?

I know they have a very well defined pay structure there with players knowing what they will earn as they progress.

We on the other hand are often rumoured to be paying young players peanuts with no such progression defined and so they are ripe for the picking as soon as someone waves the cash. This was the case going as far back as Ashton and looks to be the case with Burgess.

There is also the lingering suspicion that IL is always willing to sell even if he does not have to.

I don't think you can put the fact we seem to suffer the most just down to the fact we have the best players because we just don't. We just seem vulnerable either by accident or more worryingly by design.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

The other clubs have lost players to the NRL just not as many as us DaveO and I think that is because we produce the best talent that interests the NRL more.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
BriH

Post by BriH »

IF there is any truth in this, it illustrates perfectly the constraining effect the current Salary Cap has on the ability of clubs to retain players whether they want to or not.
As I previously posted, the RFU have raised their Salary Cap and are allowing clubs to have 2 marque players.
It's inevitable that young players will be attracted by the Aussie Dollar and the opportunity to play in the NRL.
So, are the likes of Wigan, St Helens, Leeds going to end up has production lines?
Long ago, when I watched Whitehaven, we had a young forward who was called Dick "Tiger" Huddart. The best attacking forward we had had ever seen.
He went on tour came back and was signed up by Saints then ended up in Oz. I think he his still there painting pictures!! Crippled with arthritis so the climate suits him.
Nowts changed.