wigan camp

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: wigan camp

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:
sc74 wrote:To be fair, I think all of the reasons why people are unhappy with SW have been voiced numerous times already, on this forum. Here's a few highlights:
1. Talking to press - more like the build up to a boxing match/UFC fight.
2. Playing people out of position.
3. Having no plan B.
4. Not listening to more intelligent/experienced people.
5. Comments about MM.
6. Sending players out looking for a scrap.
7. Losing to make-shift, 2-bob teams like Wakefield.
8. Blaming the players.
9. Being happy with garbage performances.
10. Beating them up in training.

I can't imagine one person from Wigan not wanting him to succeed, but the harsh reality of it is, he is looking out of his depth.
I really hope that I am wrong, honestly. I'd love him to be still be there, winning trophy after trophy in 3 years time.
The reality of it is, probably, that he'll be there in 3 years winning nothing, as IL won't have wanted to pay him off.
The competition is weak enough that with a following wind such as injuries to key players from rivals in the playoffs I think Wigan could win something in the next three years and if we do, regardless of how that is achieved, it will be enough for some.

The only way I can see IL showing Wane the door is if we got relegated.

With Wane I am always reminded of that ITV series of a few years ago that followed the championship sides around and had access to the dressing room. It was from a bygone era where shouting louder at the players was the main coaching technique for some of the teams.

At Wigan we have all the technology such as GPS training aids and one of the best conditioners in the business but I get the impression all that technology is sat alongside outdated coaching ideas. I remember last season it was reported Wane was going to "flog" the players in training after one loss and Josh Charnley's column in one of the papers recently referred to how tough the training is.

We had quite a few players missing at times last season due to injuries picked up in training including Lockers and MM. Against HKR Sarginson was missing with dead leg picked up on the "Captain's run" (whatever that is) the day before the match.

We appear to be our own worst enemy at times.
Very true. Lockers would be wrapped in cotton wool for me, it is not rocket science to know that players 30+ need to have a different training regime to that of a guy 10 years younger.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

superleague wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
superleague wrote: That's quite ironic there WW because your one of the first ones to pipe up if someone says a bad thing about your precious Wane. Wane can do no wrong in some people's eyes because he's a passionate wiganer and he's brought youngsters into the team, I'm afraid there's no sentiment in sport and wane is not the man to take Wigan rugby forward IMO
He is not my precious Wane as you put it, because as I have said on another thread, I have reservations about some of his team selections when we play clubs near the bottom of the table, especially when we are away in the land of the Yorkie's.

Instead of having a petty swipe at me, perhaps you could put forward some valid reasons to Jobo about why you think he is wrong and why Wane should be sacked instead of the usual 'Sack the Coach' when things are not going well.

I have put my opinions across before on previous threads about what wane should be doing eg playing a game plan to the players strengths, cut out the stupid penalties, cut out the high risk rugby in our own 20m etc etc, but I was ridiculed as an arm chair coach by some posters on here. Some people either can't see the issues or just God damn deluded
I agree entirely with the points you have made, why can't we play basic rugby league?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
phild1

Post by phild1 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
God wrote:The posters who have been slagged off on here have said this for a long time. Wane ball is killing Wigan RL.

I stand by my statement, Wane should have been relieved of his duties after not winning a single thing last year.
I am not defending Wane, but by that comment, are you suggesting that every coach of Wigan should be sacked if we do not win a single trophy in a season.
==phild=sounds like to me!!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I find this forum infuriating at times: it offers the opportunity to state your views, but as soon as somebody does we get down to school playground level, almost "my dad's bigger than your dad" stuff.

If someone tries to balance a thread by saying something positive about Wane, then they're a happy clapper, stupid, or "can't see anything wrong" with him.

To make my views clear I'll start by saying that, like a lot of posters, I am very concerned about the number of penalties we give, about the ridiculous idea of Faz as an "enforcer", and that we are overdoing the physical, intimidating approach to the point that we could be seen as thuggish.

Please ignore the above if you can't understand a balanced, honest view and just write me off as another happy clapper for what follows:

We are only 4 matches into the season, for goodness sake. It's not gone too well, but Moose has just played his first game back; Gelling, who hadn't been great and was gathering a crowd of knockers, made 181 metres v HKR and seems to have silenced his critics (for now); George Williams, a 20 year old stand-off, seems to be performing pretty well; and we played our last game with 6 players aged 21 or under in the 17. I find this very encouraging.

In case that's not enough positive stuff to make sure I'm shot down in flames, it's my honest opinion that Shaun Wane takes a lot of the credit. If the posters on here picked the team, we'd have dropped Budgie, Matty Smith, George Williams, Gelling, Joel T plus anyone under 17 stone (just for Menpond!).

Sarginson is a case in point: for a large part of last season he either wasn't good enough or was being played in the wrong position. By the end of the season he gets picked for England and plays a stormer - still, if McBanana would only read the Wigan Fans' Forum ...

Number 4 in sc74's list of "highlights" about SW is " Not listening to more intelligent/experienced people." So he should take advice from EVERYBODY, if what I read on here is to be believed?

Finally, to all who insist on comparing Wane with Maguire - I'll say this slowly: . . Maguire . . had . . a . . different . . team . . (Finch, Hoffman, Lima, Sam etc). You can't make a valid comparison between two coaches on the basis of how good the team was under each of them when one clearly had a better team. FWIW I think Maguire is the better coach, but I also think SW has done a decent job and deserves a chance. Just cut out the silly penalties and over-physical approach, Shaun, and ... oh, don't lose any sleep over the fans' forum.

Flak jacket fastened, helmet on, adopt brace position ... :eusa12:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

morley pie eater wrote:I find this forum infuriating at times: it offers the opportunity to state your views, but as soon as somebody does we get down to school playground level, almost "my dad's bigger than your dad" stuff.

If someone tries to balance a thread by saying something positive about Wane, then they're a happy clapper, stupid, or "can't see anything wrong" with him.

To make my views clear I'll start by saying that, like a lot of posters, I am very concerned about the number of penalties we give, about the ridiculous idea of Faz as an "enforcer", and that we are overdoing the physical, intimidating approach to the point that we could be seen as thuggish.

Please ignore the above if you can't understand a balanced, honest view and just write me off as another happy clapper for what follows:

We are only 4 matches into the season, for goodness sake. It's not gone too well, but Moose has just played his first game back; Gelling, who hadn't been great and was gathering a crowd of knockers, made 181 metres v HKR and seems to have silenced his critics (for now); George Williams, a 20 year old stand-off, seems to be performing pretty well; and we played our last game with 6 players aged 21 or under in the 17. I find this very encouraging.

In case that's not enough positive stuff to make sure I'm shot down in flames, it's my honest opinion that Shaun Wane takes a lot of the credit. If the posters on here picked the team, we'd have dropped Budgie, Matty Smith, George Williams, Gelling, Joel T plus anyone under 17 stone (just for Menpond!).

Sarginson is a case in point: for a large part of last season he either wasn't good enough or was being played in the wrong position. By the end of the season he gets picked for England and plays a stormer - still, if McBanana would only read the Wigan Fans' Forum ...

Number 4 in sc74's list of "highlights" about SW is " Not listening to more intelligent/experienced people." So he should take advice from EVERYBODY, if what I read on here is to be believed?

Finally, to all who insist on comparing Wane with Maguire - I'll say this slowly: . . Maguire . . had . . a . . different . . team . . (Finch, Hoffman, Lima, Sam etc). You can't make a valid comparison between two coaches on the basis of how good the team was under each of them when one clearly had a better team. FWIW I think Maguire is the better coach, but I also think SW has done a decent job and deserves a chance. Just cut out the silly penalties and over-physical approach, Shaun, and ... oh, don't lose any sleep over the fans' forum.

Jesus! m.p.e I was expecting some sort of "knee-jerk" reaction and not some sort of logic to come from a rugby fan :wink:

I have decided to not openly shoot myself in the foot over Wane and his tactics/team selections and media comments BUT, the only criticism I have for the moment is the appalling team discipline. No one can win games conceding penalties and loosing players from the game so consistently and if Wane does not sort that out then I feel he must go.

One thing I would like to remind fans is that only a short 12 months ago fans from the other side of the hill were practical demanding that Brown "had to go" and their list of complaints about him were too numerous to mention. The fact that the stains are the current champions though does leave me with a feeling of "wait and see" for me (at least) for the moment
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
sc74

Post by sc74 »

morley pie eater wrote:I find this forum infuriating at times: it offers the opportunity to state your views, but as soon as somebody does we get down to school playground level, almost "my dad's bigger than your dad" stuff.

MPE - I don't get your point. Everybody on here?

At this stage in his career he should be consulting more experienced rugby minds. I wonder what words of wisdom MM would have to offer? Would also be interested in knowing how much say his "Leadership Group", or whatever he calls them, has.

Sport in the 21st century needs thinkers, not shouters and screamers.

He lamented the teams 'dumb' approach after the KR game!?!?!?

I hope you're right, but we'll come back to this in 3 months time. Results speak louder than theories.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

2013 we won the double!
2014 knocked out of CC with a massively depleted squad and against a team that was playing arguably the best rugby in the country at the time. We also lost the GF because of the officials.

Now maybe I am being overly simplistic and I do agree Wane infuriates me at times, but are things that bad?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
markill

Post by markill »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:2013 we won the double!
2014 knocked out of CC with a massively depleted squad and against a team that was playing arguably the best rugby in the country at the time. We also lost the GF because of the officials.

Now maybe I am being overly simplistic and I do agree Wane infuriates me at times, but are things that bad?
I'm with you TBW. Things aren't perfect. Things aren't terrible. Fix the problems with errors and penalties and there will be a big mood swing. We aren't a million miles away. Also, based on what Smith was saying on the Super League Show etc in the last couple of days, the senior players seem to understand what needs doing.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote: 2014 knocked out of CC with a massively depleted squad and against a team that was playing arguably the best rugby in the country at the time.
Come off it. There is no way we should have lost that game given the teams.

The Wigan squad that day was:

Bowen; Manfredi, Gelling, Sarginson, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Flower, McIlorum, Dudson, Farrell, Bateman, O’Loughlin Subs: Hughes, Crosby, Hampshire, Sutton

Cas:

Dorn; Dixon, Webster, Shenton, Clare; Sneyd, Finn; Lynch , Clark, Huby, Holmes, Hauraki, Jewitt Subs: Millington, Mariano, Wheeldon, Ellis

We lost 4-16 - at home, the first home defeat in the cup in 1986 and Wane was coached off the park by Powell.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

MMM, MPE you must find it infuriating to listen to discussions anywhere about Wigan RLFC then. To be honest by far the worst place is at the DW itself. I actually sit in silence when watching games BTW other than celebrating good play.

Nobody has mentioned happy clapper have they and by far the most insulting posters tend to be those who are blinkered towards positive whereas most posters are balanced.

I take your points re the players and I never expect any professional player / coach to take notice of what fans say. If I was a coach of any sport I would never read any form of media.

I have to take issue with your statements re Maguire. Your statement is factually incorrect. Madge came to Wigan and inherited the squad of players already present. A set of players / a club that was still struggling to recapture its position in the game. SO THE STARTING POINT for Madge was FAR WORSE than the one Wane inherited.

We won a GF and dominated SL with a rookie full back (Tomkins) that Madge had the foresight to put there unlike Wane who was his junior coach for 3 or more seasons and never saw the FB in him! Goulding on the wing. Gleeson as a centre living on borrowed career time. Paul Deacon meant to be a coach had to play 6. Fielden who never recaptured his Bradford form but rebuilt his confidence under Madge. Mac came through under Madge. Piggy was transformed by Madge from an unfit player cutting training. Coley? last season. H and Joel and Lockers. Any better than what Wane has now? Feka and Preccy as interchange. NO MADGE ACHIEVED FAR MORE THAN WANE CAN DREAM OF. He rebuilt a failing underachieving club. He took players and rebuilt them gave them extra time in their careers. He never complained, he never blamed others. He took Wane into that environment; Noble never did. Wane had a fantastic opportunity to learn, the club was set up for success from top to bottom. IIRC, Rads football manager was a Madge idea.

So many of us wanted Wane to take over. It made sense. What did Wane do he made the following ludicrous statement;
"Michael Maguire has put a structure in place, which is going to carry on, but I feel I can improve things.

"There's been games this year I don't think we should have lost and it's my job as head coach to make sure the lads are prepared and we win those games."
By his own statement Shaun Wane has failed and the man he felt he could do better than has gone on to bigger and better things AGAIN reviving a club from failure to GF glory!

Your whole post infers that nobody who supports Wigan RLFC has a right to express an opinion particularly regarding our club underachieving which we are IMO. The standards at Wigan are not the standards of lesser clubs and we had/have the set up and the players but it is derailed by a coach clinging onto a fraction of what Madge offered him. Indeed, we probably refer to Madge because as yet we have never seen anything innovative / progressive by Wane as a coach. Worse, we accuse and BLAME match officials, other clubs/coaches/players even our own players but not once has the man who points his finger at all and sundry ever held his hands up and said I screwed up.

I hope that is balanced for you MPE