Hampshire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Hampshire

Post by thegimble »

southernpie wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Well it ends the Rocky to FB debate. I just hope we offer him a very long contract. Personally the Williams / Rocky partnership is more important than Sam returning.
Totally :eusa3:
How does it end the debate. Either Sam or Rocky could be FB or at 6.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

thegimble wrote:
southernpie wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Well it ends the Rocky to FB debate. I just hope we offer him a very long contract. Personally the Williams / Rocky partnership is more important than Sam returning.
Totally :eusa3:
How does it end the debate. Either Sam or Rocky could be FB or at 6.
Correct, Hampshire or Sam could play fullback or stand off for Wigan, but he could play fullback at Saints or standoff for Wire or Leeds.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

platt-warrior wrote:I'd run with Rocky and Williams the halves Smith on the bench or away.
I totally agree PW, the sooner Rocky and George pair up in the halves the better it is for Wigan as I see it. They've hardly missed a beat since pairing up as youngsters at Wigan.
I'm not Sam Powell's biggest fan but I think he has as much to offer as Smith if not more, so I'd be happy to see Sam T back in with Smith and Bowen used as Salary Cap collateral.

Come on IL, this is a massive big up for you with the Ancient & Loyal 18 if you bring Sam back.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We need to sign Rocky to a contract or all this debate will be wasted.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If we have signed Sam T as we all suspect the club has, then I'd have thought he'd play at 6 rather than go back to full back. Sam would then be the experienced 6 we all thought we needed for the start of this season.

If he does then Ryan has to play at full back. Hopefully with the club now playing him and having the double whammy bonus of having an in form full back they also have a very good goal kicker. The lad wants to play every week and his form dictates he should.

Rumours about Leeds are bloody infuriating. If they can afford him under GH's salary structure surely then so can
we.
We need to sign not just for the club's future and his but in an effort to get a settled first 17 and squad.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wiganer Ted wrote:If we have signed Sam T as we all suspect the club has, then I'd have thought he'd play at 6 rather than go back to full back. Sam would then be the experienced 6 we all thought we needed for the start of this season.

If he does then Ryan has to play at full back. Hopefully with the club now playing him and having the double whammy bonus of having an in form full back they also have a very good goal kicker. The lad wants to play every week and his form dictates he should.

Rumours about Leeds are bloody infuriating. If they can afford him under GH's salary structure surely then so can
we.
We need to sign not just for the club's future and his but in an effort to get a settled first 17 and squad.
Sam has hardly any first team experience as a half back probably not much more than Rocky. At 27 Sam has limited learning / development time. Makes sense for him to play fullback IMO and Rocky and George who have seasons together as a partnership to continue doing so.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Sam is a very good all round Rugby player with any number of games played. I'm sure he could slot in to the 6 berth and do a fantastic job.
Don't you think having Ryan and George at 6 & 7 at 20 years old is a bit too soon and too light on experience?
Can't see them shifting Smith from 7 anytime soon so I'd rather go with Sam at 6, Smith 7 and Hampshire at 1.
Long term obviously Ryan and George are the obvious fit for 6 & 7 but perhaps not right now.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not sure Sam was ever a 6 truth be told. He played 7 as a junior because he was so small but he never had team mentality a halfback requires IMO.

As a half in the academy Sam never worked well with other halfbacks. Joe Mellor being a good example. The most productive half partner for Sam was Stu Howarth who is not really a half.

I am not sure Sam would stand up to being in the main line defensively and being targeted by opposition forwards / centres. Even at this stage, I would say Rock and George are already tougher than Sam.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Is it just me, or has cp been damning sam with faint praise recently? Conspiracy theories abound and no praise without caveats. I wonder if ST is being lined up for cp's hit list?

Was he *ever* any good? Are we about to find out the answer is no? :lol:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

Mike wrote:Is it just me, or has cp been damning sam with faint praise recently? Conspiracy theories abound and no praise without caveats. I wonder if ST is being lined up for cp's hit list?

Was he *ever* any good? Are we about to find out the answer is no? :lol:
One things for sure, whatever CP's opinion it will be right and he will be unrelenting in his posts until everyone agrees!
????