Lockers retiring, Greg Burke returning

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
LooseHead

Re: Lockers retiring, Greg Burke returning

Post by LooseHead »

From what I've seen of Greg Burke playing for KR thus season he's no better than when we let him go there. There's a heck of a jump from being a mainly solid 'middle' at KR to being a playmaker at Wigan. That's not to say he's not for Wigan but perhaps more as a cassidy type than a playmaker like Lockers unless he gets a lot more creative as he ages.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:Burke dropped by HKR for cup semi with Warrington.
Could never see Lockers being dropped for a big, one off game. His influence alone is impressive.
Be interesting to see if he makes the HKR squad for Wembley.

If he's been a regular for them I don't see why he hasn't got a chance but don't forget he is a young player and so I really don't think your comparison with Lockers is fair.
How good a player is Greg Burke in comparison to Sean O'Loughlin, both at their best Dave?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
Could never see Lockers being dropped for a big, one off game. His influence alone is impressive.

If he's been a regular for them I don't see why he hasn't got a chance but don't forget he is a young player and so I really don't think your comparison with Lockers is fair.
Is Burke not injured did he sustain a bad one against us a few weeks ago.
markill

Post by markill »

Injured against us a couple months ago now. He's come back from that but McCarthy, who is stand in captain, and Donaldson seem to be first choices ahead of Burke. Not shocking as they are on longer deals at the club.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

markill wrote:Injured against us a couple months ago now. He's come back from that but McCarthy, who is stand in captain, and Donaldson seem to be first choices ahead of Burke. Not shocking as they are on longer deals at the club.
Now that's a fact!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

DaveO wrote:

Sorry daveO, been busy so not seen your reply earlier.
He is a young player but as another comparison, leaving Lockers out of it, Burke is still one year older than John Bateman, so progress between those two youngsters is very evident.
I would also say that for another forward coming through the ranks, Ryan Sutton has shown more promise and achieved more than him, and he's a fair bit younger as well than Greg.
Hopefully he can get back on track in 2016.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Nezza Faz wrote:
DaveO wrote:

He is a young player but as another comparison, leaving Lockers out of it, Burke is still one year older than John Bateman, so progress between those two youngsters is very evident.
I would also say that for another forward coming through the ranks, Ryan Sutton has shown more promise and achieved more than him, and he's a fair bit younger as well than Greg.
Very good comparisons!
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

Nezza Faz wrote:
DaveO wrote:

I agree - still I wish Greg the best in where he ends up the more wignanners in SL the better
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I was interested to see Wane's comments in one of the rugby papers this week where he seems to think that Greg has really proved himself at HKR. I don't see where this comes from bearing in mind his injury problem and the fact that that don't seem to pick him (when he's fit) for their biggest games. I like Greg and would love to see him back with us but the article (which was mainly about Jack Hughes)show's Wane's different attitude to the two players. All the comments about Greg were positive whereas the comments about Jack were claiming that no decision has yet been made about his future. I realise that the two players are not directly comparable but surely Jack has proved himself more this season so far? Whatever their futures, and I wish them both all the best, I don't think anyone could seriously see either one as a direct replacement for Lockers. I assume that Lockers isn't retiring because Wane is also quoted as saying that we've completed recruitment for next season.
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

I hope we haven't completed recruitment for next season!! if so it will be a boring season - I like to see new talent come to the club and bring something different