2016 Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: 2016 Squad

Post by ian.birchall »

warriors01 wrote:I agree squad is too thin and lacks quality. we should be looking for at least 2 hard running centres- move Gelling into back row. Play young Gildart on wing next season. Also need a HB who is a playmaker, hopefully Williams is the future, so look to replace Smith. We spent 15 mins on Leeds line on Friday night in first half and never looked like creating anything. We are too light in the forwards need to look to NRL like Leeds,Warrington and Huddersfield have done. And regardless of what Wane says we need a goalkicker as Smith hates doing it.Then we might just win all 3 trophies like Leeds are going to do.
And for goodness sake get out of the idea of signing south sea islanders as props.we haven't had a decent one since Pongia and when was that? 2002\3. Feka\luaki\pettybourne\tautia poor signings all of them. If Leeds can find big rough Aussies who look mean and can handle the ball like scrumhalves why cannot we?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

warriors01 wrote:If we think that's what the squad will look like, then we can forget silverware for another season. the squad needs new faces to beat Leeds next year for the trophies. We need a more aggressive pack of forwards and some quality backs, with a goalkicker. Also it would be good to see us play more expansive rather than 5 tackles down the middle with Smith kicking at the end of it. If we fail to win something this season Wane has a lot to answer for as IL said at the beginning of the year that this was the best squad we had for a number of years. Love to see Daryl Powell at the helm done a great job at Cas playing good open rugby.
God forbid.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

warriors01 wrote:If we think that's what the squad will look like, then we can forget silverware for another season. the squad needs new faces to beat Leeds next year for the trophies. We need a more aggressive pack of forwards and some quality backs, with a goalkicker. Also it would be good to see us play more expansive rather than 5 tackles down the middle with Smith kicking at the end of it. If we fail to win something this season Wane has a lot to answer for as IL said at the beginning of the year that this was the best squad we had for a number of years. Love to see Daryl Powell at the helm done a great job at Cas playing good open rugby.
Blimey we've got the best squad we've had for years but we need different forwards, backs and a kicker.

Its good to hear someone wanting even more lateral play though after all the stick we've had for throwing it around too much this year.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

we need a goal kicker - I don't think gelling is a back row I think his size cause other centres and outside backs real issues! big centres are good centres - moon, turner and joe wardle all big bodies who run hard and fast.

I think larne might make a good centre as he is very fast and strong good support runner to - he clearly doesn't like out and out forward running as he can't mix it in the middle - we have one of the fastest forwards if not the fastest in the league and we don't use him to his strengths
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Lockers to Prop, please God NO
bomhead

Post by bomhead »

at least give me a reason why?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

With the new sub rules we can't afford to have a player who is trying to prolong his career as long as he can, he is not a prop, we need big athletic props not some crock who's only captain because he's Faz brother in law :wink:
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

I think Lockers will do another year yet. After all his lengthy service and Loyalty to the club I don't think it's right that some fans are calling for his retirement. OK his form hasn't been fantastic but he can still pull out a killer pass and in big games small margins are to our advantage. At the very least he will make the bench and with his injury record prop is not a good idea, he might as well paint a target on his shirt.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

bomhead

Post by bomhead »

where would you play him off the bench and who do you think should carry the loose forward role - just out of curiosity

I agree he shouldn't retire if he can stay fit he is a game changer I suppose he may get more targeted at prop but I don't think he has the pace or skill ability that he had which makes a good 13 for me anyway I don't think any of our second rows have it maybe John but he needs put on some size like.

lockers isn't just captain because he was Faz's cousin lol he leads from the front and his presence alone sends us to another level
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wane's comment at today's press conference:

"I'm not looking at one other player at the moment, I'm very happy with my squad for next year. All the players get another year to mature."

It looks as though our juniors will have to step up to the mark.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards