DW pitch

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: DW pitch

Post by cpwigan »

I honestly believe no matter how hard you try that real turf at the DW will never survive use in autumn/winter by any sport/any club/no matter how often it is replaced and how the ground staff strive. I hate the idea but I cam to the conclusion we would be better with artificial. Brisbane will be EXACTLY the same as last night and last season. I would even be tempted to move the game to another ground if we want a great game. If all we want is a win no matter how poor the spectacle stick with the DW.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:I honestly believe no matter how hard you try that real turf at the DW will never survive use in autumn/winter by any sport/any club/no matter how often it is replaced and how the ground staff strive. I hate the idea but I cam to the conclusion we would be better with artificial. Brisbane will be EXACTLY the same as last night and last season. I would even be tempted to move the game to another ground if we want a great game. If all we want is a win no matter how poor the spectacle stick with the DW.
You can't move the game because of the pitch! It's bad enough when we have had to move them because of ground maintenance in the spring/summer!

The clubs, Warriors & Latics, need to get together & pay for an artificial pitch as, sadly I agree with you, there is never going to be a solution to the terrible condition that the pitch endures in winter if we have the same sort of very wet weather we have had these last few years.

As we all keep saying, whatever possessed the council & Whelan to build a stadium on a flood plain when there were other, more suitable sites to build one! :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

That is the main reason Josie, state of the pitch; we played at Burnden Park in an earlier round of the 85 CC. Frost / snow etc I grant but the DW is nigh on unfit. It will be a disgraceful setting for Brisbane.

Like you I cannot see any solution for the DW bar artificial.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Last night took me back to when CP was a mess and IIRC we beat Bradford 2-0. In that era they had to roll the mud flat but this was winter RL; wasn't it ;) I am anticipating bales of straw to be scattered on the DW next.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Get some good old Cumberland sea wash turf layed on it
SJ

Post by SJ »

DaveO wrote:What makes this worse is out home games are mostly early in the season before the pitch get re-laid.

So we have to put up with this garbage and try and play on that mud tip in what is left of winter and only at the back end of the season to we see any benefit.

I have always been pretty pragmatic about the ground share thing and don't see owning a ground as opposed to leasing one anything to shout about but if some multi-millionaire came along and tried to buy the club off IL with the promise of a new ground IL would be bonkers not to go for it so we got decent pitch.
On Friday I had the pleasure of watching a great game of RL. Last night I watched a rubbish game mainly because of the conditions and the state of the pitch. I'm only glad I didn't go and pay to see it. To compound matters Sky kept showing incidents ie tries scored in the Saints game during our match which interfered with my concentration on our game. Why? God only knows!
I fear for a total embarrassment if similar conditions prevail when we play Brisbane. Dave O is right I believe something radical is needed re- the pitch particularly as the long term weather conditions are predicted to be the norm. This could impact on support if things remain the same. Even watching it on TV may be affected (It will were I'm concerned. A good firm ground is essential for top class Sport. The pitch problem and other deficiencies ie ablutions in the Ladies "rest" rooms. Should be attended to as a matter of concern.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:We are never going to move sadly WW but just have to live with it. The DW pitch is the same season after season. Worse, we have to play in the WCC which should sell the sport/Wigan but it simply will not. How many times has the pitch been relaid and how much money spent on it - flogging a dead horse. Real grass at the DW is screwed.
As a company, Tesco are in a bad place at present. We can always hope they go tits up completely and we can move back 'home'!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

SJ wrote:
DaveO wrote:What makes this worse is out home games are mostly early in the season before the pitch get re-laid.

So we have to put up with this garbage and try and play on that mud tip in what is left of winter and only at the back end of the season to we see any benefit.

I have always been pretty pragmatic about the ground share thing and don't see owning a ground as opposed to leasing one anything to shout about but if some multi-millionaire came along and tried to buy the club off IL with the promise of a new ground IL would be bonkers not to go for it so we got decent pitch.
On Friday I had the pleasure of watching a great game of RL. Last night I watched a rubbish game mainly because of the conditions and the state of the pitch. I'm only glad I didn't go and pay to see it. To compound matters Sky kept showing incidents ie tries scored in the Saints game during our match which interfered with my concentration on our game. Why? God only knows!
I fear for a total embarrassment if similar conditions prevail when we play Brisbane. Dave O is right I believe something radical is needed re- the pitch particularly as the long term weather conditions are predicted to be the norm. This could impact on support if things remain the same. Even watching it on TV may be affected (It will were I'm concerned. A good firm ground is essential for top class Sport. The pitch problem and other deficiencies ie ablutions in the Ladies "rest" rooms. Should be attended to as a matter of concern.
I had exactly the same feeling that Wire v Leeds was simply far more enjoyable simply because of the DW pitch. I am fearful re Brisbane as a spectacle.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Maybe if we all signed a petition / wrote a letter to IL he may get the message that we are not happy at always coming second :( and especially as regards the pitch and facilities. If he is always trying to entice the Down South business then I bet they won't be too happy with the shabby Northern set up :(
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

the pieman wrote:Without getting into the wheres and wherefors of who owns the pitch etc IL now has to step up to the plate

i dont know the details of our tenancy but that pitch is not acceptable for amateur RL players to be playing on, let alone one of the biggest RL clubs in the world (i personally dont give a flying F*** about what the Latics do as i just dont like football full stop and if they are happy to hoof it and miss all the muddy patches then their fans are being short changed as well)

IL needs to be getting into our landlords ear about the state of the pitch and what we are paying for it

we graciously give us any home games in May - June (despite us playing summer rugby) to play on that S**** last night. It is just not good enough - we pay our season ticket money to be entertained

The Groundsman(men / women) are in a no win situation because of where the pitch is, but surely technology has advanced now to a point where both clubs should be able to play on a pitch that holds up to a bit of unclement weather and the rigors of 2 teams playing on it. Given that over the course of a 12 month period we have Feb / Mar / Apr that we both play on it and then again in Sept (just about), its not like it is hammered constantly for 12 months by 2 teamhplaying on it week in week out

as a question what type of pitch is LSV? They play rugby & as far as i recall they have Utd / Blackburn and Liverpool reserves all play games there, so i would say gets as much if not more hammer than the DW
As others I agree entirely with you.

Was going to post that all the players deserved medals for playing on that turnip patch

One other possible idea re the pitch.

Instead of an artificial pitch, how about raising it enough for a proper draining system underneath the surface? Could mean both teams having to play games from the DW but what we currently have is not acceptable.

IL must accept that he risks players welfare and future support with the current situation, re playing our home games early on a shit hole and then 2 months on the road for resurfacing just for the football to ruin it again for the following season. No team should accept playing on that
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!