Wigan v Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nezza Faz

Re: Wigan v Hull KR

Post by Nezza Faz »

I actually thought HKR were really good tonight, had nothing to lose as everyone had counted them out, so had no pressure on them and played very dominantly in defence and threw a lot at us in attack.

Sometimes it's much easier to perform well under little, or no expectation. They seemed to play with a lot of freedom and hardly made a single mistake in the entire 80 and had a good kicking game. They'd have had a rollicking for losing a big lead a couple of days ago so would have been well motivated to cause an upset and repeat last year's cup shock, so anyone taking them easy would have a fight on their hands, especially after such a hard, tense game on Friday. Time I think, to give a little praise to our opponents tonight ?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Two points is two points and after Good Friday it's great to come out of the bank holiday with two wins but it was pretty dire stuff at times this evening.

Such a short turnaround makes it hard to decide if this was fatigue or just a continuance of our inconsistent form but whatever the reason we are still waiting for the team to look the part or take full advantage when on top.

Thought Josh was Mom but think Gildart was given it.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Thought it was a pretty interesting selection today. Enough to get the win and expose a few more players to SL. At HT I thought we'd been dominant and that Hull were tiring badly. Then we conceded two tries through unnecessary errors. That made it a lot closer looking than it was. The only thing that annoyed me today was Joel carrying there ball in one hand after making a break and losing it. Stupid.

Well done Wane for utilising our squad at a difficult part of the season and doing so in a way that didn't cost us points unlike the other two teams in the top 3
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

turf wrote:Doesn't look promising does it Shaun1967

He'd have only one leg and he wouldn't want a stretcher that mon he's that tough

Wonder if he'll play Friday ?
No. TT also carrying a knock.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:Two points is two points and after Good Friday it's great to come out of the bank holiday with two wins but it was pretty dire stuff at times this evening.

Such a short turnaround makes it hard to decide if this was fatigue or just a continuance of our inconsistent form but whatever the reason we are still waiting for the team to look the part or take full advantage when on top.

Thought Josh was Mom but think Gildart was given it.
He was but that is the view of the sponsors.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Mike wrote:Thought it was a pretty interesting selection today. Enough to get the win and expose a few more players to SL. At HT I thought we'd been dominant and that Hull were tiring badly. Then we conceded two tries through unnecessary errors. That made it a lot closer looking than it was. The only thing that annoyed me today was Joel carrying there ball in one hand after making a break and losing it. Stupid.

Well done Wane for utilising our squad at a difficult part of the season and doing so in a way that didn't cost us points unlike the other two teams in the top 3
Good surmise there Mike

I was annoyed when, on the third tackle, only just after getting back in front, Manfredi threw a needless pass to nobody in particular and then, next tackle see another penalty given away that saw Hull KR regain the lead.

Poor game management and control at a time Wigan were crying out for it.

Wigan were lucky in a few incidents and relied on a very sloppy pass from Dixon for Charnley to race away and put us back in front.

They noticeably tired after that and started to miss numerous one on one tackles, coupled with Joel being taken off to reduce the number of penalties being gifted to them :wink:

Solid if unspectacular but I cannot for the life of me figure out how Tierney got a place straight into full back after being out the side for so long. Looked well off the pace and very shaky under there kicking game

Thought at one point Sarge played stand off when Bateman went off not loose forward as some have said :doz:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Was John Bateman knocked out late on in the game, wish FM said it was a bad knock and he looked knocked out.
Hope he's OK, takes a lot to put him down this way, very fit strong bloke.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Was John Bateman knocked out late on in the game, wish FM said it was a bad knock and he looked knocked out.
Hope he's OK, takes a lot to put him down this way, very fit strong bloke.
Concussion again but seems okay.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

After a strenuous & hard fought win on Friday, I think the players need a bit of slack!

Yes, there were bound to be some mistakes but we won as tired & hurt bodies displayed a great amount of grit & fortitude to win comfortably in the end.

It's going to be hard again on Friday v Warrington & we should get behind & support the team in which is the hardest period of the season, we've won two out of two so far in the short turnaround.

All I can say is 'Well Done Wigan Warriors' & 'Good Luck on Friday'.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Like I have said on another thread, perhaps the time has come for only one game over the Easter Weeekend when every season, Easter Monday results in some strange results and clubs playing weaken teams, especially if like Wigan they are playing another top or good team in the next game.