Tonight V Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: Tonight V Warrington

Post by Owd Codger »

The Warrington team only showed that they have something we do not have ie, a good class Stand off in Ratchford and yes, I have too admit it on his form this season, a good class Scrum Half in Sandow plus a top class experience Australian ex International in Gidley who together with two big, rough Prop Forwards in Hill and Simms controlled the game and made us look poor.

Whenever they got near our 20m line, they looked dangerous whereas when we reached their 20m line, we as usual were running around like headless chickens without making any real headway.

Unless we sort out the major problem at half back, we will continue to struggle this season, irrespective of who is playing in the other positions or is missing because of injury.

I have been supportive of Wane as the Head Coach, but I now have to admit, that perhaps a change of direction is needed in the way of coaching at the club with the appoinment of a top class experienced Coach from down under.

Without any of the usual personel abuse, what do others think?

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I reckon Wire will continue to prosper with a fully fit first choice 17. Once injuries and fatigue start to kick in they will fade. We will have no difficulty competing when we get our injured players back.
ian b

Post by ian b »

Whelley Warrior wrote:The Warrington team only showed that they have something we do not have ie, a good class Stand off in Ratchford and yes, I have too admit it on his form this season, a good class Scrum Half in Sandow plus a top class experience Australian ex International in Gidley who together with two big, rough Prop Forwards in Hill and Simms controlled the game and made us look poor.

Whenever they got near our 20m line, they looked dangerous whereas when we reached their 20m line, we as usual were running around like headless chickens without making any real headway.

Unless we sort out the major problem at half back, we will continue to struggle this season, irrespective of who is playing in the other positions or is missing because of injury.

I have been supportive of Wane as the Head Coach, but I now have to admit, that perhaps a change of direction is needed in the way of coaching at the club with the appoinment of a top class experienced Coach from down under.

Think that is spot on to be honest. Defensive wise I think Wigan have been quite good but attacking wise they have been poor. Every time they get near the try line they haven't a clue and like you say they just run around aimlessly and it is so predictable.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I must have been watching a different game because yes they dominated the first 20 after massive leg ups from that clown in the middle but after that considering we had 8 of our first team missing and they had 1, I thought we looked the more dominant!! Again with players back nothing to fear!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I must have been watching a different game because yes they dominated the first 20 after massive leg ups from that clown in the middle but after that considering we had 8 of our first team missing and they had 1, I thought we looked the more dominant!! Again with players back nothing to fear!!
Exactly. What we saw last night was as good as Warrington get whereas we were a shadow of the team we can be if we get our injuries sorted.

Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

We are the second-best team in SL at the moment. If all of our injured players were back (assuming Warrington's were as well) then we would be equal first in SL.
However, Warrington have a thinking and planning coach and we do not.
Despite the sheer inadequacy of the on-field referee and the Video Referee, whose decisions are frankly beyond a laughing-stock and seeming to be something else, we were magnificent in the second half, having been played off the park in the first.
But our efforts (and I thought Gregson and Gildart were outstanding, among others) simply meant that what we saw were players battering a Warrington side who must have been quite pleased that it turned into a slug-fest. I didn't see any skill. finesse or anything that made me think that this was a true Wigan side. It might have been Castleford (no offence) just rolling up their sleeves and 'having a right go.'

Sarginson's two passes were the only real bits of quality that stood out as doing something different to break down a rugged defence. What was typical was Tautai, rampaging forward, hair flying, all effort and achieving not very much at all. Fine for a middle of the table side but not for Wigan.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Like I said at the beginning of the season our forwards have been good enough with our 6 & 7 not good enough. Tonight our forwards were not good enough and we still had a consistently bad organisation in the halves that let to poor defence and poor attack.

Please transfer Smith out and away from Wigan his game is terrible in every department.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Kittwazzer wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I must have been watching a different game because yes they dominated the first 20 after massive leg ups from that clown in the middle but after that considering we had 8 of our first team missing and they had 1, I thought we looked the more dominant!! Again with players back nothing to fear!!
Exactly. What we saw last night was as good as Warrington get whereas we were a shadow of the team we can be if we get our injuries sorted.
Totally agree but if we had there halfbacks we may even have won last night. There's more creative play in Sandow's little finger than Smith possesses. We have the same problem that has stopped us winning the last two Grand Finals.

On another matter, how do Wire get 25 guys under the salary cap? Sandow, Gidley, Hill, Simm, Westwood, Lineham, Ratchford, Westwood and Clarke must take up the vast chunk of it.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:The Warrington team only showed that they have something we do not have ie, a good class Stand off in Ratchford and yes, I have too admit it on his form this season, a good class Scrum Half in Sandow plus a top class experience Australian ex International in Gidley who together with two big, rough Prop Forwards in Hill and Simms controlled the game and made us look poor.

I am one of those who has been saying it for a long time. The question is has Wane got the best out of the squad? My view is that he has not with the squad at his disposal we should have won silverware in the last two seasons. Is the squad good enough? I believe we have the best squad in the comp although we need to replace a couple of players if we are to be dominant. It is farcical to think that one halfback injury means that the only option is to play our loose forward at 6.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Is that true though? The problems in attack WW mentioned in the oppositions 20m where there before Williams and MM and others were injured.

The forwards including Flower and Bateman were regularly getting us into the opposition 20m but we were ending up with very little to show for all the field position we got. When we do score it is often out wide and so it makes it harder to turn 4 points in to 6.

If all the injured players came back that were not injured when the season kicked off I am not sure why you think the attack is suddenly going to click.

MM isn't coming back this season anyway so the only significant addition is going to be Sam.

I am convinced Wane thinks with Sam coming into the line everything will fall into place. I don't because the rest of the team can't execute the gameplan anywhere as well as their recent predecessors. And that is before we consider if the game plan remains good enough anyway.