Wigan Standard Players ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Wigan Standard Players ?

Post by Panchitta Marra »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Tuigamala wrote: Gelling (world class and a legendary local hero type character too, Im glad he's at Wigan!)
Were you fishing for a bite in saying Gelling is world class, because if so, you got one!?

There are plenty of people on here who think Gelling is a better player than I do but I'd hazard a guess none of them think he is remotely close to world class.

In fact I bet there is only you on the entire planet that thinks he is world class and I include Wane and his Mum & Dad in that!

He is far too inconsistent, error prone and erratic to be called world class.

We only have two world class players in our side in my opinion, Lockers and Sam T (assuming he regains his past form). Bateman also, perhaps.

As to his antics and character, they let him get aways with far too many errors in my opinion. I don't blame him for milking it, which I reckon he does but give me a straight laced "boring" truly world class player like Hanley any day. He didn't need to ride around on a BMX bike to gain the fans adulation.

If he was world class he'd be in the NRL already.

I have said on many occasions and stick by it Gelling Will be world class centre and will play in NRL. He has the raw talent I have seen in few players of recent times and reminds me of Kevin Iro. Only time will tell .
The way Gelling is playing, I'd gladly give my entrance money to watch him as one of the first names on the Wigan team sheet.
World class - not at the moment, potentially and do I see him being - YES.
SJ

Post by SJ »

All I'm saying KitD is when it comes to making judgments we do so on our own knowledge,,experience. Ie it's subjective. Some coaches can make better "subjective " decisions than others They are not in that sense objective. I live in Devon, a concrete fact. (Objective.) I think custard on Apple crumble is better than Ice Cream on Apple crumble. An opinion based on what I think is good,an opinion which is said to be "subjective hope this clarifies the point I was trying to make. :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
SJ wrote:
DaveO wrote: In which case you are abusing the term world class. He is not even close. He is too slow for one thing, never mind the erratic play. If he is world class then Gildart must be the worlds best centre given he is IMO already better than Gelling. He's 25 and still talked about as a developing player. He should be there by now if he was world class.

As to him being here a long time. If he is world class he won't be. He will end up in the NRL sooner rather than later.

I think Gelling's Wigan career is tied to that of Wane's. He is clearly one of the favoured few. If Wane goes, once Gelling's contract expires I would not bank on it being renewed. A different coach will be far more objective.
I can't accept the propositional content of your final "judgemental" opinion (subjective)

A different coach will have to make a decision grounded in his experience and has such any "judgement he makes can't be (logically) other than subjective.

Examples " Finney was a better footballer than Mathews. (Subjective)
Finney played for Preston N E. Mathews played for Blackpool (objective)

Bliming heck SJ thats gone right over my head far far to techinical for a old goat like me. :D
Me too :blush:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan