WANE ,S

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Re: WANE ,S

Post by ddtftf »

Don`t leave Josie, we all take some abuse on here and I find it quite funny, but at the end of the day we are all Fans of Wigan.
:)
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

PS the best information does`t come from the players, but from the Managers of the players who are in the loop
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

ddtftf wrote:PS the best information does`t come from the players, but from the Managers of the players who are in the loop
Especially when they go fishing.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

butt monkey wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:I think it's IFL at the root of the problem. I think he is forcing Wane down a cheap as chips squad. I remember a few years back watching Wakefield and thinking they should not be in super league. That Wakefield team are better than the current Wigan team. Super League standards have declined drastically in the last decade and the decline in Wigan is even greater.
I totally agree with that as I've said it myself on here before.
So why then do you claim Scott Taylor left simply because he supported Hull as a lad in another thread?

Stop with your constant misinformation about his circumstances Josie. You constantly tell us all that your are "in the ear" of the players so how about you ask Scott himself, in person? He is a decent bloke, no pretensions and if you ask a simple question will not give you a fobbed off excuse. So ask him!!!

After Taylor's first season at Wigan was so good, Wigan decided to offer a new contract. The problem was that the club added an extra year BUT at almost half his money. He refused to sign. Wigan then placed him on the "outer" and he ended up at Salford for a season seeing out the last year of his contract.

Taylor is a professional player and plays for whomever offers the most money (and also chance of success of course).

Wigan now have the attitude that playing for Wigan should mean more than money - hence why players are leaving as they are doing. They are being offered lower wages.

Josh the latest!!!!
They leave for Union, not because of being offered lower money by Wigan, but because of being offered more money from their clubs as a result of Union now having more money in a far larger salary cap and playing wise, the chance to play in bigger European Competitions and a higher International scene.

Why do you think Andy Farrell took his son Owen into Union?

He did so because he could see at the time he went to Union the two codes were going in the opposite directions where salaries were concerned and a higher profile in the media.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
josie andrews wrote: I totally agree with that as I've said it myself on here before.
So why then do you claim Scott Taylor left simply because he supported Hull as a lad in another thread?

Stop with your constant misinformation about his circumstances Josie. You constantly tell us all that your are "in the ear" of the players so how about you ask Scott himself, in person? He is a decent bloke, no pretensions and if you ask a simple question will not give you a fobbed off excuse. So ask him!!!

After Taylor's first season at Wigan was so good, Wigan decided to offer a new contract. The problem was that the club added an extra year BUT at almost half his money. He refused to sign. Wigan then placed him on the "outer" and he ended up at Salford for a season seeing out the last year of his contract.

Taylor is a professional player and plays for whomever offers the most money (and also chance of success of course).

Wigan now have the attitude that playing for Wigan should mean more than money - hence why players are leaving as they are doing. They are being offered lower wages.

Josh the latest!!!!
Get off my case for Gods sake! I've never ever said I'm "in the ear" with the players. I repeated what I have been told that's all!

I'll tell you what, you can shove your effing forum up your arse & the fecking sponsorship too!

I try my best on here but guess what, my health & Stephens now come before this forum & the bloody rugby!!

Don't go Josie.

I know that I have had differences with you, but never to the extent of what has been said on this topic towards you.

It does not surprise me that you have blown your top as some on here would make a Saint swear at times.

If you do go, may I wish you and Stephen the best of health in the future.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
They leave for Union, not because of being offered lower money by Wigan, but because of being offered more money from their clubs as a result of Union now having more money in a far larger salary cap and playing wise, the chance to play in bigger European Competitions and a higher International scene.

Why do you think Andy Farrell took his son Owen into Union?

He did so because he could see at the time he went to Union the two codes were going in the opposite directions where salaries were concerned and a higher profile in the media.
Andy Farrell is a bad example for you WW. He was on £250K at the year at the time he left having signed a huge deal with Wigan.

He was probably offered more to go to RU but any player on that sort of money would be a mug just to jump ship to a new code simply for the cash without a long hard look at the options.

There is no guarantee of success but in Farrell's case he may well have felt this wasn't such as risk given his career was coming to an end anyway. He lao may have just fancied a crack at getting into thE England RU side. I doubt money was the prime motivator.

As to taking his young son to RU did you expect him to leave him in Wigan when he moved down south?

There is more to that decision than just money as well. Owen wasn't an established player at the time and things may not have worked out for him in RU either. The fact they have done does not mean it was all part of a master plan on his Dad's part.

In any case the accusation is Wigan are doing it on the cheap not losing players because they are outbid. The supposed offer of a reduced contract to Taylor who wasn't being chased by RU or the NRL being the example given.

I am certain there players such as Josh who were they offered what they consider a fair wage for their age experience and skills would happily sign another contract with Wigan because they have no particular ambition to play RU or desire to move to Australia. However if they get offered reduced wages they will be onto their agent right away. That is to be expected.

Offer someone a reduced wage and you are inviting them to leave.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ddtftf wrote:PS the best information does`t come from the players, but from the Managers of the players who are in the loop
Players will tell a person anything even if they know its a lie. No player will tell a person the wife is homesick I am going back to Hull.

People will believe what they want to. And as for Josh getting less he deserves less not the player he was when you consider he has looked average for the most this season compared to Manfredi this seasn and how Budgie went after his second game last season.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

What happened to the rules changing and there being fewer subs?

If this was to happen you wouldn't want big props. Could this be why the club has not gone for larger props?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote:And as for Josh getting less he deserves less not the player he was when you consider he has looked average for the most this season compared to Manfredi this seasn and how Budgie went after his second game last season.
That isn't the issue. It is what is going to happen if you offer players less money. That is an invitation to go and find another club.

Wigan don't need to do that if they want players to leave. They just don't need to renew their contracts.

To expect them to stay and not do this "because this is Wigan" when offered less money is unrealistic.

No one in any walk of life is going to take a pay cut if there are easy opportunities to be had elsewhere to maintain their wages.

If you think having an off-season should equal a reduced contract next time then I don't think you will find many players agreeing with you. It's an insult.

I think it is bad management as well. It totally ignores what went before and shows a total lack of faith in the player's ability to regain their form and for a player who is 24 with his record to be treated as in effect a has-been is ridiculous.

A player at the end of their career might take another year's deal on less money to prolong their career but not one aged 24 with his overall record.

In any case the accusation is also made they offered Taylor less money when his progress warranted more in any ones book. Looked pretty damn good on Friday.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

East Stand Faithful wrote:What happened to the rules changing and there being fewer subs?

If this was to happen you wouldn't want big props. Could this be why the club has not gone for larger props?
What makes you think even if that rule change came in, a couple of big props would not be an asset?

We used to have big props long before the interchange got to this level. Team were not lightweight in the pack when there were fewer subs allowed.

In any case recruiting for what might happen just hands the initiative to those who have recruited for how things are now.