Dr Revolution

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
yokozuna

Re: Dr Revolution

Post by yokozuna »

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_220 ... offer.html
Salford owner Marwan Koukash has responded to Catalan's cheeky 'offer' to help him sign players and fill his stadium.

Koukash replied on Twitter this morning to Dragons chairman Bernard Guasch.

"Dear Bernard," the message reads.

"Your kind invite to show me how to sign the players you have signed and still stay within the salary cap is very tempting indeed.

"You must agree with me that your team looks the most expensive in Super League.

"I really wish you and your boys all the very best and want to very clear that my comments were aimed at the RFL bias and not you or your club.

"What I have said is what many people in the sport are saying.

"Anyway, if the RFL allow you to get away with it, then that is not your fault. Regards, Marwan."
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

If Koukash walks away you may as well forget about rugby league - regardless of what you think of him he is the only one trying to change things and while his ideas and ways may not always be the best he at least has the passion to try and modernise a sport that is in crisis.

Rugby league has been in free fall since Sam Tomkins went to the NRL
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

It's been going tits up since the selfish little Yorkshire Clubs refused to merge to create bigger new SL clubs, it is the Yorkshire Mafia tha is killing our game
ragman

Post by ragman »

What about;
1. Abolish the cap as it is, and replace with a nominal figure, above which any team paying more has to pay the same amount into a central budget to support smaller teams, grass roots development etc. This would encourage growth without leaving the smaller clubs behind.

2.Forget the London experiment and establish a franchise in Penrith. Within reach of NW and Yorkshire teams, able to build on the strength of the Cumbria game, hopefully (bit naive perhaps) encourage the merger of Workington, Whitehaven and Barrow without any one team 'taking over'. Possibly even encourage links with the Panthers down under?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ragman wrote:What about;
1. Abolish the cap as it is, and replace with a nominal figure, above which any team paying more has to pay the same amount into a central budget to support smaller teams, grass roots development etc. This would encourage growth without leaving the smaller clubs behind.

2.Forget the London experiment and establish a franchise in Penrith. Within reach of NW and Yorkshire teams, able to build on the strength of the Cumbria game, hopefully (bit naive perhaps) encourage the merger of Workington, Whitehaven and Barrow without any one team 'taking over'. Possibly even encourage links with the Panthers down under?
What would be in it for the big teams? the reason they dont want to do anything about the cap as it is, is because we have great academies that can produce cheap players by the bucket load so there is no need for us to pay more - like we arent right now.

you have to condense the league its the only way to increase quality without increasing money that will only come with increased exposure.

Say you go to 10 teams - with the money not given to those teams from the RFL they could every year allocate that amount to the bottom 2 clubs that avoided relegation for them to sign a top player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

markill wrote:The NFL is a fantastically well organised sports league. Culturally though that won't work over here, people want p&r. Plus, like others have said, there's no way to work a draft as it stands.

I'd love a closed shop with strong revenue sharing. It won't happen thought i don't think.
How about a central, SL organised junior league based around regions. All junior talent goes through that system and the clubs just run first and reserve teams in a draft based system? All overseas players go into the draft with marquee exceptions like in MLS.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:
I'd love a closed shop with strong revenue sharing. It won't happen thought i don't think.
I'd settle for a closed shop. It is the attempt to make P&R work between a pro league (SL) and a semi pro one (championship) that has led to money better spent in the pro game being diluted with this crazy "whole game" approach.

We had it more or less set right with licensing and yet as soon as there were some problems with it, they were used as an excuse to throw it out rather than pointers as to how to fix it.

Widnes are the success story of licensing. Other than them I can't recall one club who was promoted since the mid 1990's making a go of it. Leigh were totally hammered.

Widnes given three seasons of protection from going back down are now an established side.

So what do we do? We chuck that away and are back to hoping if a championship side does ever manage to win the "million pound game" they don't get mullered just like Leigh were and don't find themselves playing in it again the year after.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
markill wrote:
I'd settle for a closed shop. It is the attempt to make P&R work between a pro league (SL) and a semi pro one (championship) that has led to money better spent in the pro game being diluted with this crazy "whole game" approach.

We had it more or less set right with licensing and yet as soon as there were some problems with it, they were used as an excuse to throw it out rather than pointers as to how to fix it.

Widnes are the success story of licensing. Other than them I can't recall one club who was promoted since the mid 1990's making a go of it. Leigh were totally hammered.

Widnes given three seasons of protection from going back down are now an established side.

So what do we do? We chuck that away and are back to hoping if a championship side does ever manage to win the "million pound game" they don't get mullered just like Leigh were and don't find themselves playing in it again the year after.
I agree Daveo but it would be hilarious if we had automatic P&R this season with Leeds where they are. Would the RFL intervene if it happened?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'm guessing that the level of support wasn't as great as Marwan had hoped, otherwise we'd be having a statement about a break-away this week?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Salford's appeal against a points deduction to be heard by independent body

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/n ... ndent-body
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan