Bateman should be our marquee player!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Bateman should be our marquee player!

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Phil Clarke summed it up with Bateman and that try, he'd made his mind up he was going for it and was unstoppable. Head first into legs a few metres from the line, how dumb was it and great to watch?!
Top, top player, and in my eyes the best all rounder in Super League that all teams and fans covet.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I said he was world class 2 seasons ago, I was right!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
SJ

Post by SJ »

medlocke wrote:No he shouldn't, it should a top Aussie player that arses on seats, the end

Having reflected on my default opinion I think the above post makes more sense.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Watching Bateman play doesn't put my bum on my seat, it makes me stand up and clap!! :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

thegimble wrote:Looking forward to 2-3 years from now when he leaves and some moan we should have made him marquee. Especially when no class NRL player will come here in his prime.
I would expect him to move on around that whether he was Marque or not, 5 years is a long time to be at any rugby club, specially when you have won all there is to win in the domestic game. As for top quality NRL players, if they are offered enough they will come, just a shame that all the clubs have had the same idea about the marque signing and are just using it to get their cap down, no wonder the game is dying with such an attitude
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

SJ wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:
medlocke wrote:No he shouldn't, it should a top Aussie player that arses on seats, the end
Agreed,the whole point of a Marquee player,in my eyes is to bring something special extra to the club and as you say put bums on seats.
Good point
Gidley at Wire is a good example of the class in Oz who have been overtaken by younger players but still stand out in the English game. Smart move by Wire to sign him.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Bateman is class however what is the point of making him Marquee in name and salary if we can afford him without doing so.

just saying.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree - pay him what it takes to keep him. One thing that bothers me is his recurring concussion - the progress in that area is such that he might not play many more years if he keeps struggling with it.