Clubb’s green-light to return

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Clubb’s green-light to return

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

As everyone knows I am a huge MM fan, but what does he have to prove? When he has played in finals we have won and when he hasn't we have lost, except for the last one and Sam P was outstanding. The only thing he has to prove is his fitness, if he does then along with Sam P we have 2 fantastic hookers.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

FWarrior wrote:All I am suggesting without being abusive is that Wigan peaked for the GF which is what Shan Wane aimed for but that players who in positions through luck of mifosrtune became vital in winning a GF, a GF victory that had eluded Wigan for the last few seasons.

Every Wigan supporter is happy that Sam Tomkins has returned but there can be no denying that the Wigan supporters favourite punchbag Dan Sarginson was pivotal to reaching and winning the GF. So much so that he was recalled to the England squad. I doubt it would prevent sopme Wigan fans from treating him as a whipping boy even though Wayne Bennett recognised his impct in the last two games of the season.

Every fan, well most 'love' Tony Clubb. Yet, since he signed for Wigan, Wigan have won nothing. Argubablythe more game he took part in, the less likely we looked like winning a competition. FPN came in and immediately we win a GF. Sheer coincidence. Possibly but the scorelines in the paper are not subjective. Before Tony Clubb, Wigan won a GF, Tony Clubb our injured for the reast of the season Wigan win a GF.

Sport is dynamic. Sam and Joel Tomkins did not have great 2016 saeasons but at least they can say they have been vital to winning GFs and CCs before. Will it happen again, maybe, maybe not but they did it. Tony Clubb hasachieved no final trophy winning success.

Taulima Tauta was vital to winning a GF and can claim he was vital in winning a GF. Wigan were left with a problem until Lee Mossop (when injured)! and Dom Crosby both deminded wage / contract increases which left Tony Clubb as the remaining and less expensive option. The problem will be that Tony Clubb is better as an impact player but Taulima Tauta was better in that role last season so unless players are injured then Clubb or Ryan Sutton, or Joe Bretherton or Romain Navarrete becomes an easy decision given the age of Tony Clubb and his poor decision making (although fans love kamikaze big hits)

2017 will be a big season for many player; Sam Tomkins or Joel Tomins for example. Sam Tomkins might rise to the challenge of Morgan Escaré, Joel Tomkins may rise to the challenge of Liam Farrell and John Bateman or they may not but the Tomkins brothers can both says they were vital in Wigan winning past finals, as yet Tony Clubb cannot and never has been able to say so. Fans favourite means nothing.

If it was up to fans Dan Sarginson would have been sent back to London and Lewis Tierney banished to Scotland.
....and some wanted Ryan Hampshire on the wing instead of Lewis!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

FWarrior wrote:Wigan win a GF, Tony Clubb joins Wigan, no GF, no GF. Clubb injured for large part of the season, plays very few games. Wigan win a GF.
Do you view Joe Burgess as a good signing?
Following the above logic its a bad move for us.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Shaun1967 wrote:
FWarrior wrote:Wigan win a GF, Tony Clubb joins Wigan, no GF, no GF. Clubb injured for large part of the season, plays very few games. Wigan win a GF.
personally I'm no fan of this seeming obsession Wigan have with resigning players they aren't what they were when they left,and given Joe's horror show at the roosters I did wonder at the logic of bringing him back,but then as we know he went to the bunnies and looked more the player we saw when he left.

Will he be a success? Cautiously optimistic with him to break the trend but I feel he will need time to settle back in
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Somehow Fwarrior I think you missed my point.How do you make a connection between a player missing half a season and a GF win.All the others mentioned had quite long spells injured .Why pick out one?
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

Shaun1967 wrote:
Time will tell. Joe Burgess has much to prove and as yet has not been part of a trophy win. Joe returned because he failed in the NRL.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Joe returned because he went a couple of years too early! No way is the guy a failure, his latter end of season backs up my comment.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Where would you place Clubb in the pecking order at Wigan? For me he is behind, FPN, Flower, Sutty and TT.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Waney will rotate his props when they are all fully fit.
FPN and Flower will be our starting props with TT, Clubb and Sutton
behind.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I hope clubby has managed to fully recover from this injury, which at a guess, wouldn't have been too far off being career ending.
It's a tough ask to play the way Tony does without the risk of repercussions with the injury he's carried.