Wane without a whole team!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wane without a whole team!!

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

markill wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
markill wrote:Widnes have used more players than us this season. Huddersfield possibly have too.
True but Huddersfield rested a few for the Swinton game and came unstuck.
I was on about Super League only
Ok. It surprises me that Hudds have used so many but I believe you. Hence the reason that the Giants and Widnes are at the bottom of the table.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Post by markill »

markill wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: True but Huddersfield rested a few for the Swinton game and came unstuck.
I was on about Super League only
Ok. It surprises me that Hudds have used so many but I believe you. Hence the reason that the Giants and Widnes are at the bottom of the table.
Just to be sure, I checked. Players used by each team in Super League 2017 so far:
Widnes 32
Huddersfield 28
Wigan 27
Leigh 27
Leeds 26
St Helens 26
Wakefield 26
Catalan 25
Warrington 25
Salford 24
Hull FC 24
Castleford 21

Top 3 in league are the 3 that have used the fewest players. Bottom 3 in league are in the 4 that have used the most, along with us. Another example that highlights our squad depth that we're only just outside the top 4.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

ShaunEdwardsFanClub (Quote) :- Re. Escare,

I would hope that he wouldn't play unless he was 100% ish, we don't want anymore long term injuries. I think that I would like to see him start at full back given that he has been excellent in that position and I am not one for putting round pegs in square holes. Having said that it might come to needs must. So Lewis would miss out for me with either Brethy or Nav.

That would be the ideal, but RL players are always turning out with injuries, covered up by pain killers. SOL would never, ever play, whilst I don't think Gelling's been fit for a good few weeks and they've thrown Bateman in a number of times in the past when he's been struggling.

Makes you wonder at Wigan if we do throw players back too soon, perhaps because of coach or fan pressure, and then end up aggravating their injury ?
shaunedwardsfanclub

markill wrote:
markill wrote: I was on about Super League only
Just to be sure, I checked. Players used by each team in Super League 2017 so far:
Widnes 32
Huddersfield 28
Wigan 27
Leigh 27
Leeds 26
St Helens 26
Wakefield 26
Catalan 25
Warrington 25
Salford 24
Hull FC 24
Castleford 21

Top 3 in league are the 3 that have used the fewest players. Bottom 3 in league are in the 4 that have used the most, along with us. Another example that highlights our squad depth that we're only just outside the top 4.
Interesting, I suppose another factor would be the number of times players outside the top 17 or even the top 25 have played.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Nezza Faz wrote:ShaunEdwardsFanClub (Quote) :- Re. Escare,

I would hope that he wouldn't play unless he was 100% ish, we don't want anymore long term injuries. I think that I would like to see him start at full back given that he has been excellent in that position and I am not one for putting round pegs in square holes. Having said that it might come to needs must. So Lewis would miss out for me with either Brethy or Nav.

That would be the ideal, but RL players are always turning out with injuries, covered up by pain killers. SOL would never, ever play, whilst I don't think Gelling's been fit for a good few weeks and they've thrown Bateman in a number of times in the past when he's been struggling.

Makes you wonder at Wigan if we do throw players back too soon, perhaps because of coach or fan pressure, and then end up aggravating their injury ?
I agree no player is ever 100% fit. Given that Morgan was in a leg brace I would suggest that he is far from fit. Rather than risk him we and possibly cause further damage I think the correct decision would be to leave him in the stands and allow him to recouperate. Friday's game is not going to define our season.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Escare being reported as possibly out for the season. Needs a knee op. http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8526036
BriH

Post by BriH »

Can't believe it!
I made a joke about 'The Wigan Curse' - I'm now beginning to believe it's possible.

Seriously, I think the RFL should do an in-depth analysis of all the injuries the Super League teams have sustained over the last 5 years or so.
Without the facts, one gets the impression there seems to be a steady rise in injuries, season-on-season.
It certainly needs analysis if only because the RFL and the Clubs have a 'Duty of Care' to the players.
When I was a Lad, certain jobs and industries paid 'Danger Money'. The way things are going the Players Union have a good case to make.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

endoman wrote:Escare being reported as possibly out for the season. Needs a knee op. http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8526036
Gutted for him ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

That's terrible for him and the club. Poor Morgan!
It just gets worse and there doesn't seem any end to all these injuries.
I agree with many on here that this can't all be down to bad luck.
Some yes, but all bad luck?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

There are too many knee injuries for that to be coincidence
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure