Re: Sean Wane is a fraud.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Shaun Wane is a fraud.

Post by Wintergreen »

To throw another factor into the mix, how much of the current situation is SW and how much is Ian Lennegan?

We have been constantly told that "I have confidence in the young players", "We have tremendous depth here at Wigan", whenever we have not gone into the transfer market to replace the people that we have lost.

And btw I don't count Sam. When we bought him I was very very concerned that his bolt had been shot. Sadly looks like I was right.

Frankly I am sick of it.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I wouldnt say he is a fraud

I look at it this way Shaun Wane is a very passionate Wiganer and no-one can doubt his commitment to the team or Wigan Club. He lives and breathes Wigan and is as big a fan of Wigan as any of us

The problem with Wane as i see it is his connection with Wigan is a hindrance. I think he channels "the good ol' Days" too much, he wants the whole team to play like he played, like he would play now if he good. Shaun ran his blood to water when he played and he expects every player to play like him.

Furthermore, ive long since suspected a coaches position as a player influences their coaching style, Powell for example a half back coaches his team to throw it around, Wane a forward wants you to barge up the middle. Wane seems limited on his game plan apart from BASH THEM ARD! we dont seem to have much finesse.

All of these problems are compounded by Wanes apparent ego which stops him from addressing our real problems, we have Game plan A, so sure of Game plan A is wane that he doesn't consider any other way of playing. If we lose and have injured players, thats the reason, if we lose and have a fit team its the ref or conditions that are at fault.

People will point to Wigan winning cups as a testament to Wanes success, i have no doubts he can get the players up for big matches, i bet he is quite inspiring to listen to but outside of those big occasions when there is no real occasion we are falling short way too often.

The lack of consistency will bite us, everyone is expecting the new blood cas and salford to falter at the end of the season maybe they will maybe they wont but change is coming IMO and we could soon find ourselves in the middle of the pack with the best team in the league
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

lucky 13 wrote: First off the subs yesterday didnt help I with hindsight would have left FPN Mac and Sutton on for another 10 minutes.
My opinion exactly.

Wakey brought those players on with Chester's words ringing in their ears. We KNEW they were going to improve what had gone on for them, we KNEW they would be brought on to alter the way the game was going and dominate the rucks. We KNEW all this, and yet we still took our main defensive players off.

We needed to to stem the potential tide and prevent them dominating the ruck, at least for the first few minutes they came on. We capitulated and until Fifita went off, literally looked like a pub team defending against a professional team. Shockingly inept and for this Wane MUST take the blame for such idiocy. To leave them off for so long afterwards compounds this idiocy

INJURIES

All right

Yes we have injuries, but bloody hell we KNEW Dom Manfredi was out for the season and that Sam Tomkins was going to miss most of this season exactly like last season. How can you say these are part of a problem Wigan didn't address in the first place?

We recruited Marshall after we had released him. That was more luck than planning. Escare was signed to play whilst Sam was out. His injury couldn't be foreseen but lack of cover (and especially centre) in the threequarters has been an issue at the Warriors for years now

We should blame lack of depth when we entered the season with doubts over both players ability to get on the pitch and couldn't be arsed recruiting. Just sign another second rower who can fill in at centre and "we are laughing" appears to be the attitude (we are even linked with Ryan bloody Hoffman), with luck he might be able to kick a goal every once in a while infront of the posts :wink:

Been a club either afraid to address it's squad issues or unwilling to for a while now.

Or maybe all its eggs were placed in the Sam Tomkins basket :doz:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
jobo

Post by jobo »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:The average age of the squad today was 23!
Somebody needs to remind Wane.
Doesn't need reminding. He wouldn't be playing them unless he had to.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

jobo wrote:
DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:The average age of the squad today was 23!
Somebody needs to remind Wane.
You are missing what DaveO was insinuating.

It isn't the fact the average of the team is so young, BUT that we continue to play like we are a battle-hardened, fully experienced squad of pro's IGNORING the fact we are depleted and with a lack of experience in the actual ranks!!!
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
jobo

Post by jobo »

butt monkey wrote:
jobo wrote:
DaveO wrote: Somebody needs to remind Wane.
You are missing what DaveO was insinuating.

It isn't the fact the average of the team is so young, BUT that we continue to play like we are a battle-hardened, fully experienced squad of pro's IGNORING the fact we are depleted and with a lack of experience in the actual ranks!!!
I understood DaveO's point clearly.
All the sides at Wigan, so I'm lead to believe, are trained and play to the same routine.
Why would he change this when introducing young players?
My point is that his hand is being forced at the moment.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Shaun Wane isn't a fraud!

We have a squad that is badly hit by injuries and he has to play who is available.
When the season started we had 3 injured and were winning games including the WCC.
The squad was quality and entertaining with Burgess and Gildart scoring tries for fun.
If we could get down again to just 3 or 4 injured then I'm sure the performances and results would be the same or very similar to the start of the season.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

My take on this is...

- there are too many injuries and have been for far too long. We have poor preparation, poor recovery, poor off field discipline (Bateman and Sam T and the most expensive p--- up of all time) and poor medical treatment. We now have an injury prone squad for the foreseeable future. I don't blame Wane that much for this, it is partly the numpties around him;

- I think that McIllorum adds to our problems, as summed up by his having the ball stripped and then conceding a tackle as we desperately sought to get back into the game. Have we won a game with him in the side this year? An 80 minute hooker allows us to pick an extra prop, which would have been very handy indeed yesterday. He was a sad joke as the second half passed him by, and yet gets cited as a major influence for us in 2017 even on this thread;

- I think our recruitment, and on field effort cannot be faulted, and that is down to Wane. I also think we can be very easy on the eye when we have the right players in the right positions. It is impossible to play good rugby with our 6th and 7th centres:

- I think we have a squad that is better than anything in the league, but will be out of the cup and with no chance of the top 4 by the time they are on the pitch. I do think we are strong enough to avoid the middle 8s though and will be able to enjoy the super 8s without any of that annoying tension that we get when we have something to play for.

So, the main current problems are injuries and the collective McIllorum love in for mine, which are only partly Wane's fault, No wins in May and, play like we did yesterday, June will go the same way.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:My take on this is...

- there are too many injuries and have been for far too long. We have poor preparation, poor recovery, poor off field discipline (Bateman and Sam T and the most expensive p--- up of all time) and poor medical treatment. We now have an injury prone squad for the foreseeable future. I don't blame Wane that much for this, it is partly the numpties around him;

- I think that McIllorum adds to our problems, as summed up by his having the ball stripped and then conceding a tackle as we desperately sought to get back into the game. Have we won a game with him in the side this year? An 80 minute hooker allows us to pick an extra prop, which would have been very handy indeed yesterday. He was a sad joke as the second half passed him by, and yet gets cited as a major influence for us in 2017 even on this thread;

- I think our recruitment, and on field effort cannot be faulted, and that is down to Wane. I also think we can be very easy on the eye when we have the right players in the right positions. It is impossible to play good rugby with our 6th and 7th centres:

- I think we have a squad that is better than anything in the league, but will be out of the cup and with no chance of the top 4 by the time they are on the pitch. I do think we are strong enough to avoid the middle 8s though and will be able to enjoy the super 8s without any of that annoying tension that we get when we have something to play for.

So, the main current problems are injuries and the collective McIllorum love in for mine, which are only partly Wane's fault, No wins in May and, play like we did yesterday, June will go the same way.
You mean the entire point of the competition? :D :D
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You're right exiled I'm really looking forward to the team I follow having nothing to play for. :eusa17:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield