Tierney

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Tierney

Post by DaveO »

Peter252 wrote:Blaming Tierney who is obviously not a full back and never will be is like blaming the boy with his finger in the dyke for the flood water that's coming through.
What the experience must be doing for his career is anybody's guess. He just seems to be getting worse with every mistake.
He needs to be pulled for the sake of his mental health.
He is not a FB but what position is he? Winger? We have four more of similar age better than he is.

He is playing FB because we went into the season with one recognised FB, Escare, who we signed in preference to sticking with Tierny, while we waited for Sam T to get fit.

In fact in terms of fit players, we went into the season with one recognised full back, two centres and two reserve wingers already in the 1st 17.

Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

You might as well have Ray Charles under that bomb when the ball goes up.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have a lot of sympathy for his position, as he has gone from doing a creditable job as Manfredi's understudy to scapegoat full back because of a single injury and the brilliance with which Davies and Marshall have taken their chances. Having seen Murphy's career finish before he started because he was asked to play full back too early, I hope that Tierney gets a chance to regain confidence and form and compete on the wing again. At least he puts his hand up and leaves the gym to play for the club.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:
Peter252 wrote:Blaming Tierney who is obviously not a full back and never will be is like blaming the boy with his finger in the dyke for the flood water that's coming through.
What the experience must be doing for his career is anybody's guess. He just seems to be getting worse with every mistake.
He needs to be pulled for the sake of his mental health.
He is not a FB but what position is he? Winger? We have four more of similar age better than he is.

He is playing FB because we went into the season with one recognised FB, Escare, who we signed in preference to sticking with Tierny, while we waited for Sam T to get fit.

In fact in terms of fit players, we went into the season with one recognised full back, two centres and two reserve wingers already in the 1st 17.
We have Gab Fell who is a full back, but for some reason Waney has refused to give him a chance.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It was surprised that SW didn't give Fell a shot at Leigh.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

moto748 wrote:It was surprised that SW didn't give Fell a shot at Leigh.
He is going at end of season released by the club.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

jaws1 wrote:
moto748 wrote:It was surprised that SW didn't give Fell a shot at Leigh.
He is going at end of season released by the club.
Yeah, I know, and perhaps that's why. Whether it's too late to rescind that if he had a run of games at the end of the season, and did OK, I don't know.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Dont see the point of releasing players that havent even had a chance.....unless they are that bad
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:....I hope that Tierney gets a chance to regain confidence and form and compete on the wing again.
Why? The club doesn't owe him a living and if he gets a chance that means one of the four better wingers than him is missing out. Why does he deserve a place before them?
At least he puts his hand up and leaves the gym to play for the club.
So will all the young players who will want to play. I am not sure what to make of the fact he takes to the field as FB when he must hate the prospect given the way he handles the position. You could say he was being brave but its not doing him or the club any favours.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

The thing that baffled me most about Tierney at Leigh was that he was clearly playing injured. He was heavily strapped up and was limping from the first minute to the last. He isn't good enough to play fullback fully fit so to play him there when injured is baffling. I know Fell is leaving at the end of the season but he surely warranted a shot.

In regards to Tierney he's a decent winger but that's his only position imo. You have to give him credit for sticking his hand up to play at Leigh but ultimately it's tough to see a spot for him in the team or even squad next year.