WIGAN AND HULL SET TO FACE SOUTH SYDNEY AND ST GEORGE IN AUSTRALIA

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: WIGAN AND HULL SET TO FACE SOUTH SYDNEY AND ST GEORGE...

Post by fozzieskem »

I think if im homest the rfl have missed the boat here the Aussies arent interested in SL..Toronto and north America seem to be thsts where the game should have been held and it would have had my,for whsts its worth my full support.

The Aussie trip utter waste of time for all concerned bar the bank manger it seems
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nezza Faz wrote:
DaveO wrote:One day those running the game and the clubs will realise games like this do absolutely nothing to further the cause of RL. I am of course assuming they are doing it because they believe it will and not just because they fancy a trip to Oz!

If it gets a 30 second slot on the sports news outside of the north of England I'd be surprised.

If they want publicity they need to realise it's the players who can give them that, not taking games to far flung places. Give the players a chance to earn money off their image rights so it doesn't impact on the salary cap and then they can become "the face of Gillette" or whatever as Paul Sculthorpe was when he was GB captain years ago. I doubt anyone outside the North knows who the England RL captan is these days.

Then hopefully, Dave, the World Cup in Oz will help fix that ?
Fix which bit of what I said? The fact no one outside of RL knows who the England Captain is? I am of course being sarcastic to make a point that this game is not going to further the cause of RL and suggested something that in my view would, getting players signed up for advertising contracts with national brands as they used to be. There is no incentive for them to do this due to the salary cap rules.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ian Lenagan on NSW

Wigan Warriors Chairman, Ian Lenagan, says the Club are delighted to be putting on an event of such magnitude having agreed to stage the first ever Super League game outside of Europe.

The Warriors will host Hull FC in an official Super League fixture in Wollongong when Wigan take their home game to WIN Stadium on 10th February 2018.

The following week, the two English clubs will then take part in the first ever double-header games between Super League and NRL teams at a single venue when Wigan face South Sydney Rabbitohs and Hull FC play St George Illawarra Dragons at ANZ Stadium, Sydney on Saturday 17 February, 2018.

Wigan Warriors and Hull FC in Sydney and Wollongong, 2018, is brought to you by Destination New South Wales and Destination Wollongong.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2017- ... lVQkKar.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

John Dorahey deputy Lord Mayor of Wollongong ????????????
moto748

Post by moto748 »

They'll need an English ref! Batcha it's Bentham; he loves a trip Down Under! :lol:
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

moto748 wrote:I've just come from reading comments from Wigan fans on fb, and it's wall-to-wall moan, moan, moan, not worth buying a season ticket, a kick in the teeth for fans, etc etc.

Jeez, it's one game! If your decision to buy a season ticket hinges on that...

I do, however, think that if it's one less home game, that should be reflected in the price of season tickets.
Have to admit that I am one of those having a moan on FB, not really because of the Oz games but in general about if it is worth it to buy a season ticket now!!!

Normally it's a given that I get one but this season I've missed a good number of home games, can't always get on a Thursday night, rearranged Widnes match, two home games in the super 8s and now I know one game I definitely can't get to next season as I work in school so can't have the time off to go to Australia even if I could afford it!!!

Personally I hope Wigan get a shed load of business links and money from it and its successful but the trade off is going to be a good number of brassed off fans, and as with myself, will it get people thinking of whether it is actually worth getting a season ticket and instead choosing their matches as through no fault of mine I've lost out financially on my ticket.

Matt
pedro

Post by pedro »

with 2big ones this year if you missed 1 game the season ticket wasnt worth the money
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

adiddy wrote:
moto748 wrote:I've just come from reading comments from Wigan fans on fb, and it's wall-to-wall moan, moan, moan, not worth buying a season ticket, a kick in the teeth for fans, etc etc.

Jeez, it's one game! If your decision to buy a season ticket hinges on that...

I do, however, think that if it's one less home game, that should be reflected in the price of season tickets.
Have to admit that I am one of those having a moan on FB, not really because of the Oz games but in general about if it is worth it to buy a season ticket now!!!

Normally it's a given that I get one but this season I've missed a good number of home games, can't always get on a Thursday night, rearranged Widnes match, two home games in the super 8s and now I know one game I definitely can't get to next season as I work in school so can't have the time off to go to Australia even if I could afford it!!!

Personally I hope Wigan get a shed load of business links and money from it and its successful but the trade off is going to be a good number of brassed off fans, and as with myself, will it get people thinking of whether it is actually worth getting a season ticket and instead choosing their matches as through no fault of mine I've lost out financially on my ticket.

Matt

Complete opposite on the Hull F/book site - all positive and looking forward to going, didn't come across one moaner (other than asking if they could make it for the full fortnight, as it's half term !!).

They've also sold out their semi final - come on Warriors fans let's try and do the same at the HJ.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Imo it just shows what Mr Lenaghan thinks of the supporters, the only beneficiary of this venture is Lenaghan himself.You can rest assured he will gain financially and supporters will lose.There are people who think the chairman has put lots of money into the club without reaping anything back, this is wrong.He is a businessman and his first priority is to line his own pockets.This decision is a slap in the face to Wigan supporters and I will be amazed if season ticket sales do not decrease for 2018.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

old hooker wrote:Imo it just shows what Mr Lenaghan thinks of the supporters, the only beneficiary of this venture is Lenaghan himself.You can rest assured he will gain financially and supporters will lose.There are people who think the chairman has put lots of money into the club without reaping anything back, this is wrong.He is a businessman and his first priority is to line his own pockets.This decision is a slap in the face to Wigan supporters and I will be amazed if season ticket sales do not decrease for 2018.
IMO think youve got it completely wrong on almost everything youve said. Not sure about ST sales but if there down think it might be because of RFL in general not doing enough. this decision by Wigan is in effect saying to RFL to pulll your finger out. I heard Roger Draper interviewed on Talk sport yesterday and he was dreadful. Didnt do a good job of promoting RL