Hock announces retirement

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Hock announces retirement

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:48 pm I don't give a toss what you think of Rads comments, it was a gesture for Gareth to play his final season where it all started for him.

You've all got plenty to say about him, but how many of you really know the lad?
I am not going to say anything about him as in what is he like as a person because like most people posting in this thread, I don't know him. Not many people comment about players outside of the game unless they do something stupid like take drugs or drink drive as we all know. It might be an idea if the club and the sport in general made more of players who do positive things outside of the game so people can comment about positive things players do.

I will comment on Rads offer though. That was beyond stupid. My opinion that it was, has nothing to do with Hock's indiscretions and how he behaved towards Wigan other than it doesn't warrant such special treatment. Regardless of that, it would just be a stupid idea to bring a forward who is 35 back to the club for a final fling motivated by sentiment even if he'd had a squeaky clean career. It's absolutely baffling a top club would consider doing this. Signing players for sentimental reasons? Unreal.

This makes me wonder what else motivates Rads when it comes to signings or retaining players. Does he keep players on who should be let go for sentimental reasons? I have no idea if he has ever done so but the fact he has said this about Hock calls into question his judgement.

Does this type of thinking explain why Lockers has not retired and Clubb got a new deal when he should be replaced?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:37 am
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:48 pm I don't give a toss what you think of Rads comments, it was a gesture for Gareth to play his final season where it all started for him.

You've all got plenty to say about him, but how many of you really know the lad?
I am not going to say anything about him as in what is he like as a person because like most people posting in this thread, I don't know him. Not many people comment about players outside of the game unless they do something stupid like take drugs or drink drive as we all know. It might be an idea if the club and the sport in general made more of players who do positive things outside of the game so people can comment about positive things players do.

I will comment on Rads offer though. That was beyond stupid. My opinion that it was, has nothing to do with Hock's indiscretions and how he behaved towards Wigan other than it doesn't warrant such special treatment. Regardless of that, it would just be a stupid idea to bring a forward who is 35 back to the club for a final fling motivated by sentiment even if he'd had a squeaky clean career. It's absolutely baffling a top club would consider doing this. Signing players for sentimental reasons? Unreal.

This makes me wonder what else motivates Rads when it comes to signings or retaining players. Does he keep players on who should be let go for sentimental reasons? I have no idea if he has ever done so but the fact he has said this about Hock calls into question his judgement.

Does this type of thinking explain why Lockers has not retired and Clubb got a new deal when he should be replaced?
Very worrying isn't it. Couldn't agree more. Surprised we never brought Harrison Hansen back in all honesty.

Part of the decision in keeping Tommy, Clubb and Lockers may be due to wanting to protect the culture, status quo and not have too many departures at the same time. If all three were to leave next year, the seasoned veterans in our squad would be: Powell, Flower, Farrell and then secondary would be Sarginson, Burgess etc. That is a very inexperienced list.

Whilst I don't think Lockers or Clubb warrant going another year, one thing we do not see is the impact they have in training and impact on the team outside of the playing capacity as mentors and role models.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Very worrying isn't it. Couldn't agree more. Surprised we never brought Harrison Hansen back in all honesty.

Part of the decision in keeping Tommy, Clubb and Lockers may be due to wanting to protect the culture, status quo and not have too many departures at the same time. If all three were to leave next year, the seasoned veterans in our squad would be: Powell, Flower, Farrell and then secondary would be Sarginson, Burgess etc. That is a very inexperienced list.

Whilst I don't think Lockers or Clubb warrant going another year, one thing we do not see is the impact they have in training and impact on the team outside of the playing capacity as mentors and role models.
That may be true but if it is it should never have got to this stage anyway.

When Clubb got his new extension the press release went on about how he loved it living in Wigan. I bet Rads got all dewy eyed when he said that and it swung the deal!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:41 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:10 pm

That may be true but if it is it should never have got to this stage anyway.

When Clubb got his new extension the press release went on about how he loved it living in Wigan. I bet Rads got all dewy eyed when he said that and it swung the deal!
Agreed, there doesn't seem to be any forward planning. Lockers has been on his last legs and playing under 50% of our games for at least 3 years now. The two potential people to take over, albeit not ball playing, were J Tomkins and Bateman who have both gone...
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."