Re: MORLEY

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

I would complain about not having the right personnel in the first place and the need to borrow somone for a maximum of 6 games because the players i used all season didnt deserve to be in the side. These are rugby league mercenaries signing for the highest bidder we or anyone else should be prevented from doing this again it cheapens the league
damien morrissey

Because all through the year you play with a side taking the injury equation out for the time being you get into the playoffs you dump your current players you used in the weekly round and sign top Aussie players for the knockout,players who arnt prepared to leave there club or the NRL longterm but because of the fierce competition in oz didnt get nto playoffs decide to do a stint over here.

If they signed players to cover injuries or replace injuries i could accept that or even get next years players over earlier if they miss the playoffs and quota places became avaliable but with Johns this isnt the case is it.
Mercenaries wont play over here long term because it isnt good enough compared to NRL but could stretch themselves to a maximum of six games if the price is right.. :sly:
damien morrissey

Yea if it was to cover injuries ok but that is a can of worms waiting to be opened, who qualifies them as injured the club doctors or do SL pay for there own doctor etc etc etc.
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

Schalk Brits... posted:
Are there no lengths to which Warrington won't go to to try and win something? :)
What ever lengths we may go through, it wont be a fraction of the efforts(many being underhand!) Wigan have done throughout the mid-eighties up-untill now to stay ahead in the game.

For the best part of 20 years, we've lived in the shadows of your ultra successful teams...never complaining although sick of you winning all the time because of the above mentioned.

Supporting a club that was crippled with dept.
Never having the luxury of a multi-millionare to splasing out on all of the best players in league or union from both sides of the hemisphere...eg, Hanley,Offiah,Inga...1/2m pound contracts and signings and a very very long list of other world class players.

Another thing, the start of success for Wigan was down to an assault on a strong Warrington pack and halfback in 1981/2...Courtney,Potter,Case,and Fairhurst!...I remember all to well, these players of primrose and blue started it all for you.

Yes, what "lengths" do we have to go though to get 1/10th of those CC cup wins you had??

We are a proud bunch of fans that have stuck with this club through thin and thinner and through a 31 year drought of a major trophy, and there is no more a deserving club than us

I can only assume you are a young supporter who was too young to remember much of the last 20+ years...its the only explaination I can think of for your seemingly jealousness of our new found wealth!!?

Do you know that if Warrington won a cup every year from now, it would take us 40 years to win as many cups as Wigan have since you came up from the 2nd division...thats the 2nd division of which we are the only RL club never to have been in, for the record!!

After that little note..do you still de-grudge us that "length we go to" for signing Andrew Johns for just 2-6 little games?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I'm one of those younger fans P'n'B who don't remember the Wigan Glory Days. I would imagine it was a great time for Wigan fans and a very frustrating time for fans of every other team. To be honest it sounds better now, the playing field (despite the letters you read in League Express) sounds much more level.

I have mixed feelings about you signing Johns. He is a top player and when you offer him that kind of money he would be daft to say no when all he'd be doing otherwise is warming up for a game over a month away. Fair play to Warrington for managing their salary cap well enough to be able to afford him, I bet Leeds and Saints haven't got the same money to spend.

The thing that I don't particularly like to see is that one first teamer will be displaced for Johns to come into the squad, doesn't show great loyalty to the player dropped. Nathan Wood will undoutedly be moved around to fit Johns in, Wood has carried you this season so to repay him he's pushed to one side. Johns will definately improve your team, he's widely regarded as the world's best player but Warrington with him in the side is an unfair representation of the Warrington that has played all season.

I can't see how Shalk can be jealous though, this signing doesn't affect us one little bit and the majority of Wigan fans would prefer your lot to win over Saints, Leeds and Bradford.
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

robjoenz posted:
unfair representation of the Warrington that has played all season.
Theres nothing unfair about it...Warrington have "played all season" at a 1.6m salary cap whilst Stains, Whinos, Bratford and of-course Wigoon have ran at 1.8m.
So were spending that last .2m now.
We infact gave you all a head start!!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

robjoenz posted:
I'm one of those younger fans P'n'B who don't remember the Wigan Glory Days. I would imagine it was a great time for Wigan fans and a very frustrating time for fans of every other team. To be honest it sounds better now, the playing field (despite the letters you read in League Express) sounds much more level.

I have mixed feelings about you signing Johns. He is a top player and when you offer him that kind of money he would be daft to say no when all he'd be doing otherwise is warming up for a game over a month away. Fair play to Warrington for managing their salary cap well enough to be able to afford him, I bet Leeds and Saints haven't got the same money to spend.

The thing that I don't particularly like to see is that one first teamer will be displaced for Johns to come into the squad, doesn't show great loyalty to the player dropped. Nathan Wood will undoutedly be moved around to fit Johns in, Wood has carried you this season so to repay him he's pushed to one side. Johns will definately improve your team, he's widely regarded as the world's best player but Warrington with him in the side is an unfair representation of the Warrington that has played all season.

I can't see how Shalk can be jealous though, this signing doesn't affect us one little bit and the majority of Wigan fans would prefer your lot to win over Saints, Leeds and Bradford.
Rob, you must be joking mate!! This season is only better than one other, that being the one when we went down!! Who cares how frustrated other fans get? What these other fans don't realize (or don't want to) is that it was our development, progression and domination that forced other clubs to improve. If we hadn't gone full time on our own the game would not be fully professional today as there would have been no need for clubs to emulate the move.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

primrose-n-blue posted:
We are a proud bunch of fans that have stuck with this club through thin and thinner and through a 31 year drought of a major trophy, and there is no more
a deserving club than us
I think that every club that has failed to win a trophy in the last ten years believes they are the most deserving - how about Hull?

p'n'b and I had this discussion at the beginning of the season; when the depth of our injury crisis was unfolding. I was the one asking for players to be brought in on a short term loan basis to cover our injured players and p'n'b was against it. I ended the discussion by saying that all I wanted was the best for the club that I supported to which he agreed.

When it was announced that Johns was going to Wire, p'n'b admitted that his (I'm presuming you're a bloke) position had changed.

Wire have played within the rules in bringing the best player in the world to their club. However I think that short term loans should only be for genuinely injured players (ie those that are out for the season after surgery) and should not mean that a perfectly healthly Aussie scrum half is put on the bench (and could potentially play little or no part in Wire's play off campaign) just so a better one can be used. Likewise I think that it is unfair for an overseas player to be de-registered and miss all of the play-offs after giving their all for the team - how would p'n'b feel if he bumped into Graham Appo? Would you say "I'm sorry, but we had to?"

Wigan have brought over players in the past - as has been mentioned - however none of these players (to my knowledge) gave up playing in a Test to take the money in order to do so - neither were these players brought over for less than half a dozen games - or was a perfectly healthly player essentially "sacked" to fit them in.
After that little note..do you still de-grudge us that "length we go to" for signing Andrew Johns for just 2-6 little games?
I don't begrudge Wire success - if we don't win the Grand Final this year (and even the most optimistic Wigan fan would admit that it will take a miracle) then I would much prefer Wire to win than Saints, Leeds or Bradford. However do you think that someone who only plays in a handful of games should be given a super league winners medal?

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
pedro

Post by pedro »

primrose-n-blue posted:
Schalk Brits... posted:
Are there no lengths to which Warrington won't go to to try and win something? :)
What ever lengths we may go through, it wont be a fraction of the efforts(many being underhand!) Wigan have done throughout the mid-eighties up-untill now to stay ahead in the game.

For the best part of 20 years, we've lived in the shadows of your ultra successful teams...never complaining although sick of you winning all the time because of the above mentioned.

Supporting a club that was crippled with dept.
Never having the luxury of a multi-millionare to splasing out on all of the best players in league or union from both sides of the hemisphere...eg, Hanley,Offiah,Inga...1/2m pound contracts and signings and a very very long list of other world class players.

Another thing, the start of success for Wigan was down to an assault on a strong Warrington pack and halfback in 1981/2...Courtney,Potter,Case,and Fairhurst!...I remember all to well, these players of primrose and blue started it all for you.

Yes, what "lengths" do we have to go though to get 1/10th of those CC cup wins you had??

We are a proud bunch of fans that have stuck with this club through thin and thinner and through a 31 year drought of a major trophy, and there is no more a deserving club than us

I can only assume you are a young supporter who was too young to remember much of the last 20+ years...its the only explaination I can think of for your seemingly jealousness of our new found wealth!!?

Do you know that if Warrington won a cup every year from now, it would take us 40 years to win as many cups as Wigan have since you came up from the 2nd division...thats the 2nd division of which we are the only RL club never to have been in, for the record!!

1) you were a top team during our glory years which strted in the 80's! SO dont come that....

2) Are you competing or are you ALSO paying players through off shore accounts like the other clubs you stated?

Just because we had the enterprise and the wire didnt doesnt give you the right to have a jealous whinge at a younger fan who didnt support the succesful team you go on about! :angry:
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

Just got back from Austria and seeing all these posts and tring to read them is very confusing :conf: