Mike Cooper

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Mike Cooper

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:27 pm I'm shocked that Powell is getting so much leeway with his clear out. He's not exactly a trophy winning coach but it seem SL is better off because of it.

As much as what happened to Briers seemed harsh it's been good for us.
Why?

You don’t give a coach a big contract and then not back him that makes little sense,I said it a few weeks back Williams will be under Powell beady eye very much from now on,may not be this year but I’m sure he will want him moved on but we shall see.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Kevin Ward was 33 when Saints signed him. He played for them for 3 years.

To me, the signing of Cooper seems like the coaching team identifying a need - strategic planning.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:36 pm Unfortunately I missed it but is that a crime I don't think so
No it’s not a crime, but there were 4 or 5 pages on this topic with the exact same heading that you missed, albeit in the Rumour Mill. It was only today that it became known he’d signed so the thread was then moved to this forum.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Mike cooper

Post by josie andrews »

jaws1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:04 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:19 pm Havard has signed for two more years 😊
Did we not have an option for next year ? is this 2 more year on top
He just told me himself when I asked that he’d signed for two years so maybe it’s been added on
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:55 pm Kevin Ward was 33 when Saints signed him. He played for them for 3 years.

To me, the signing of Cooper seems like the coaching team identifying a need - strategic planning.
To be fair MPE there are not many like Wardy. I have always liked Cooper but I think his best days are behind him. There are other players around who could have done a better job. I hope he proves me wrong.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

As ever with signings it’s so difficult to judge until we see the full picture. I think Cooper is a good player, and will suit our style of play very well. With Havard re-signing, then we may simply be adding Cooper in place of Partington. Which would be good business.

As the article makes clear there is a glaring gap at centre. If French goes, then of course we will need an exciting winger as well (and would have an overseas spot free). So far so good.

The article also mentions that Powell has re-signed. Happy to leave that for another thread on another day.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Props are often at their very best in their 30s. I hope this turns out to be good business.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Sorry I don't read the rumour mill,a friend who is a warrington fan text me and asked me if I had heard anything,I will stop publishing if I continue to get harassed like this.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:51 am Sorry I don't read the rumour mill,a friend who is a warrington fan text me and asked me if I had heard anything,I will stop publishing if I continue to get harassed like this.
No one is harassing you. Sorry if you feel that way but in * FQA’s it does say to read other threads/posts before starting a new one. That is why we have a Rumour Mill also a General Forum. Not everything goes into the main Web Warriors forum.
* 9. Before starting a new message thread, please look to see if there are already threads on that particular topic and only create a new thread if you have something completely different to say.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:58 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:55 pm Kevin Ward was 33 when Saints signed him. He played for them for 3 years.

To be fair MPE there are not many like Wardy. I have always liked Cooper but I think his best days are behind him. There are other players around who could have done a better job. I hope he proves me wrong.
Like who?

Were they available and could we have fitted them under the cap?

I think it’s a smart piece of business. He’s an upgrade on Partington, if the rumours he’s leaving are true, and gives us some much needed experience and aggression in the front row and will most certainly be challenging our other props for a starting 17 position.

At present I feel like Partington would only get a game because of injury and rotation.

Byrne and Havard are better players and have more potential so it’s time for him to go.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."