Powell pens new deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Powell pens new deal

Post by southportcdm »

I'm a fan of O' Neill and feel that he has the potential to become our first choice 9 in time but even I wouldn't claim that he's better than Powell overall at this stage. Brad did a good job whilst Sam was banned. Although he didn't look like a world beater (how may do at 19?) I think he actually deserves lots of credit for just not messing up under a great deal of pressure. He played in a cup final winning team after starting very few first team games. Surely the best way for a young hooker to develop is to alternate with an experienced player and this also reduces the wear and tear and the more experienced bloke. I'm sure the plan is to give Brad plenty of game time as the season progresses and. if this is the case, I'm happy that re-singing Sam was a sensible decision. If Brad has his head screwed on he shouldn't be looking looking for another club at 19 simply because Sam has been given another two years.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:16 am I'm a fan of O' Neill and feel that he has the potential to become our first choice 9 in time but even I wouldn't claim that he's better than Powell overall at this stage. Brad did a good job whilst Sam was banned. Although he didn't look like a world beater (how may do at 19?) I think he actually deserves lots of credit for just not messing up under a great deal of pressure. He played in a cup final winning team after starting very few first team games. Surely the best way for a young hooker to develop is to alternate with an experienced player and this also reduces the wear and tear and the more experienced bloke. I'm sure the plan is to give Brad plenty of game time as the season progresses and. if this is the case, I'm happy that re-singing Sam was a sensible decision. If Brad has his head screwed on he shouldn't be looking looking for another club at 19 simply because Sam has been given another two years.
Well, we can hope, because even his fan club on here haven’t managed to greet this announcement with anything more than “he looked really popular in a suit at Tottenham” - I assume the poster who suggested we have got better since his return was in Antarctica in a wi if free white out when the Saints game was played.

The one encouraging thing from this is that he only has a 2 year contract. After his “end his career at Wigan” plea the other day many of us were expecting him to get at least a 5 year contract. Plus, of course, we don’t know what he’s being paid - if we negotiated his pay on the basis of what any other club that wanted him would pay him (looking at you Leigh!) then he should be cheap as chips.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:16 am I'm a fan of O' Neill and feel that he has the potential to become our first choice 9 in time but even I wouldn't claim that he's better than Powell overall at this stage. Brad did a good job whilst Sam was banned. Although he didn't look like a world beater (how may do at 19?) I think he actually deserves lots of credit for just not messing up under a great deal of pressure. He played in a cup final winning team after starting very few first team games. Surely the best way for a young hooker to develop is to alternate with an experienced player and this also reduces the wear and tear and the more experienced bloke. I'm sure the plan is to give Brad plenty of game time as the season progresses and. if this is the case, I'm happy that re-singing Sam was a sensible decision. If Brad has his head screwed on he shouldn't be looking looking for another club at 19 simply because Sam has been given another two years.
What a sensible post.

Oniell may or may not be the future he is still very young as you say,he did ok while standing in and didn't let anyone down but he has lots to learn,sadly there are posters in the ABP (anyone but powell) brigade who'll their colours to any player as long as its not Powell.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I would go along with that but with past experiences with peet has shown that we play with a subs bench full of forwards, no back or hooker. And O’Neil hasn’t had a look in unless powell has been injured or banned
culinator

Post by culinator »

Im not a Powell hater, understand what he brings to the table but at the same time do i enjoy watching him play? no not really.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

First id like to clarify a few points

1) "Powell Haters" - there are no Powell haters, what this does is personalize the issues people have with him and allow scope use the "he's well liked" arguments to defend his role. Everyone here that ive seen can agree on the fact Sam Powell is a total professional and a general all round good egg who always puts 100% effort in when he plays and trains.

However i myself could offer the same level of commitment and professionalism so while these qualities are commendable and valued on their own they wont help you win trophies (the 1 and only aim of a sports team)

So people who want a Powell replacement are simply talking about what he does or doesnt bring on a rugby pitch not "hating"

2) O'neil shouldnt be Powells competition again no one who wants Powell moved on would suggest that the only option outside of him is O'neil we are all talking about bringing someone else in that is better than Powell of which there are a number of hookers

3) Going back to the "hes well liked" we so is Boris Johnson by his immediate colleagues, it doesnt in itself qualify you for anything. What we do know is Shaun Wane who has worked with Powell more than any other coach has for England so far selected

Clark
Leeming
McShane
Micky Mac

ahead of him for England and if Roby hadnt retired he would of been added to that. Thats a list just of English talent thats rated above him when you factor in that hookers exist outside the Wigan Bubble. So we know in this country alone someone who has worked with Powell the most rates at least 4/5 hookers above him

None of what i said there should be controversial - at the end of the day we can do better than Sam Powell at 9 and therefore IMO we should.

does it suprise me he is here to stay - no
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
bertina

Post by bertina »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:17 pm First id like to clarify a few points

1) "Powell Haters" - there are no Powell haters, what this does is personalize the issues people have with him and allow scope use the "he's well liked" arguments to defend his role. Everyone here that ive seen can agree on the fact Sam Powell is a total professional and a general all round good egg who always puts 100% effort in when he plays and trains.

However i myself could offer the same level of commitment and professionalism so while these qualities are commendable and valued on their own they wont help you win trophies (the 1 and only aim of a sports team)

So people who want a Powell replacement are simply talking about what he does or doesnt bring on a rugby pitch not "hating"

2) O'neil shouldnt be Powells competition again no one who wants Powell moved on would suggest that the only option outside of him is O'neil we are all talking about bringing someone else in that is better than Powell of which there are a number of hookers

3) Going back to the "hes well liked" we so is Boris Johnson by his immediate colleagues, it doesnt in itself qualify you for anything. What we do know is Shaun Wane who has worked with Powell more than any other coach has for England so far selected

Clark
Leeming
McShane
Micky Mac

ahead of him for England and if Roby hadnt retired he would of been added to that. Thats a list just of English talent thats rated above him when you factor in that hookers exist outside the Wigan Bubble. So we know in this country alone someone who has worked with Powell the most rates at least 4/5 hookers above him

None of what i said there should be controversial - at the end of the day we can do better than Sam Powell at 9 and therefore IMO we should.

Excellent post.
I don’t hate/dislike any player. I base my opinions on what I see week in and week out on the pitch. In Powell I see a lad that gives his all every game. Does that make him good enough for Wigan ?. In my opinion, no. It’s a key position, that requires a lot more than a good tackler.
As I say, in my opinion.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

bertina wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:07 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:17 pm First id like to clarify a few points

Clark
Leeming
McShane
Micky Mac

Excellent post.
I don’t hate/dislike any player. I base my opinions on what I see week in and week out on the pitch. In Powell I see a lad that gives his all every game. Does that make him good enough for Wigan ?. In my opinion, no. It’s a key position, that requires a lot more than a good tackler.
As I say, in my opinion.
👏
I think that’s all of us mean bertina but some on here think we are getting at his as a person, not his abilities
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Ah if we apply the not picked for their national team at senior level the wigan squad must be crap.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:45 pm Ah if we apply the not picked for their national team at senior level the wigan squad must be crap.
No you’ve missed my point - it’s not the fact that he isn’t in the international set up

My point is the biggest defence for powells tenure is often “coaches pick him” “they know more than us and see things we don’t” but wane who works with him day in and day out doesn’t think he is in the top 5 players in his position in English players alone so it’s not that they are seeing something we dont it’s just he’s the only one there and when others can be picked they have been

He’s gone unchallenged for his position at Wigan since Micky Mac left - who by the way wane has drafted in in front of powell

Obviously you won’t have all you English players in and around the international team but I reiterate that no player touches the ball more than your number 9 so having such a crucial position in the hands of such a average player for me doesn’t make sense

And wane himself is defining him as average 5 hookers rated above him

Roby
Leeming
Clarke
Mcshane
Micky Mac

Say Powell was 6th with 12 teams in superleague that’s the definition of middle of the road isn’t it?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure