Option taken to extend Miskis contract for one more year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Option taken to extend Miskis contract for one more year

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:27 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:55 am
moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:27 am Still reckon it's a problem opposition coaches wouldn't mind having.
Exactly - Wasn’t a problem last year with Field at fullback and French finishing top scorer on the wing.
Counterpoint - any competent winger could finish many of those tries. French's talent is wasted by only being on the end of moves.
It wasnt wasted with his 7 tries v hull last season.Im not having many other wingers in the world would have scored 7 that day.In abot 60 mins as i remember
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

I know this thread was about Miski and it’s gone Bevan French but I personally think Harry smith seems a lot more settled in the last four games or so since Bevan French has been his Half partner .
Again IMO Bevans defence from half back has been fantastic and seems to have help settle Harry Smith , also some of his balls to the right are what are giving Miski the opportunity to score tries .
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think from my point of view on the whole French on the wing argument

Its fine for season games and he will score handsomely as a result but if we are honest he wont be "the difference" in that position in a close match. The 7 tries game is a perfect example of were given the correct set of circumstances he will score more than Miski for example however winning by 20 or 40 becomes irrelevant

When it matters which is always a wet/cold winterish night in old trafford French is never going to be in the position to score 7 tries on the Wing. Grand finals are rarely high scoring matches unless the teams are mismatched which doesnt happen too often.

In matches like that French on the wing doesnt make sense, he isnt big enough to drive the ball out in exit sets and is unlikely to be on the end of a free flowing move that Miski couldnt finish. You'd want him in the thick of the action with his hands on the ball

In the last 3 Grand Finals theres been 11 tries, only 2 from wingers
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

up the junction wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:21 am I know this thread was about Miski and it’s gone Bevan French but I personally think Harry smith seems a lot more settled in the last four games or so since Bevan French has been his Half partner .
Again IMO Bevans defence from half back has been fantastic and seems to have help settle Harry Smith , also some of his balls to the right are what are giving Miski the opportunity to score tries .
👍👍👍
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:37 pm
up the junction wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:21 am I know this thread was about Miski and it’s gone Bevan French but I personally think Harry smith seems a lot more settled in the last four games or so since Bevan French has been his Half partner .
👍👍👍
Good point about harry tbf
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:37 pm
👍👍👍
👍👍👍
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:27 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:55 am
moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:27 am Still reckon it's a problem opposition coaches wouldn't mind having.
Exactly - Wasn’t a problem last year with Field at fullback and French finishing top scorer on the wing.
Counterpoint - any competent winger could finish many of those tries. French's talent is wasted by only being on the end of moves.
Not when some of those moves could only actually be finished off by French. When people are discussing French on the wing it is as if they are assuming he's a bog standard winger when he plays there. He isn't. When he plays on the wing he is not the Marshall & Miski type of winger who are both about head down running fast, hard and straight. French can do stuff those two can't when playing on the wing which is why this idea it is a luxury to have him there is wrong IMO. It adds something extra.

The problem is we currently don't have a six given Cust seems out of form and favour. If he was playing like he was before his arm injury then him at six, Field at 1, French and Marshal on the wings would be the best combination IMO.

I just hope extending Miski's contract isn't a signal the club aren't looking for a 6 if Cust is to be let go. French is not a 6 and if anything he's wasted there defending as he seems to do a lot of that. We don't want him knackered due to tacking himself into the ground. Miski as I said has surprised me but lets not get carried way. He's turned out a competent SL level winger but that is all so I hope extending his contract isn't causing other players to be moved into positions they are not well suited for.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:09 am I think from my point of view on the whole French on the wing argument

Its fine for season games and he will score handsomely as a result but if we are honest he wont be "the difference" in that position in a close match. The 7 tries game is a perfect example of were given the correct set of circumstances he will score more than Miski for example however winning by 20 or 40 becomes irrelevant

When it matters which is always a wet/cold winterish night in old trafford French is never going to be in the position to score 7 tries on the Wing. Grand finals are rarely high scoring matches unless the teams are mismatched which doesnt happen too often.

In matches like that French on the wing doesnt make sense, he isnt big enough to drive the ball out in exit sets and is unlikely to be on the end of a free flowing move that Miski couldnt finish. You'd want him in the thick of the action with his hands on the ball

Fantastic post but for similar reasons I wouldn’t want French or Field at 6 in a semi / grand final.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:55 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:09 am I think from my point of view on the whole French on the wing argument

Fantastic post but for similar reasons I wouldn’t want French or Field at 6 in a semi / grand final.
So who would you want there?
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I do think Bevan's a luxury on the wing in this team, not because he's not a very very good winger but because he's better used to more effect. You could say Marshy, Miski and King are very important to our side because of the way we play or the yardage the props/middle player don't make.
Very good point re him taking some pressure off Smith. This is a more mature Bevan again I think he's such a special talent especially in SL that he can adapt and once he does it could make the difference between us being a success this season and also rans.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!